Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Fake no name brand SD card problems with K-3iii?

- Thread title edited to ignore content of original query -

Last edited by kypfer; 08-24-2022 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Less accurate thread name
08-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brand, type?
08-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Brand, type?
Good point!
They "look" to be perfectly valid, but on closer inspection they've not actually got a manufacturer's name on them … just "look-alike" labels and "Made in Taiwan" printed on the reverse.
Seems I've lumbered myself with some cheap knock-offs
08-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
More peculiar stuff!
Just "treated" myself to a couple of 1024GB SD cards for a potential project, only to find the K-3iii doesn't "like" them!
Try to format them in-camera, seems to complete, then reports that the card isn't formatted ?!?
Weird thing is they're perfectly fine in my KP … which is just as well 'cos that's where they're going to be used!
Anyone else had similar issues, or, indeed, success with 1024GB cards in their K-3iii?
Wow, that's a LOT of capacity. Biggest I've used is 128GB (UHSII), and those are really intended for my K1, but my photog partner uses 256GB basic SD's with no problems. I think I computed one day that she could store about 25,000 raw images on hers. I'll be curious what the answer is for yours not getting the K3III love.

EDIT: I see you might have found the issue
Good point!
They "look" to be perfectly valid, but on closer inspection they've not actually got a manufacturer's name on them … just "look-alike" labels and "Made in Taiwan" printed on the reverse.

But being the curious soul I am, what use are you considering for one four times larger?

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-18-2022 at 10:52 AM.
08-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Good point!
Show us a picture to prevent us from making the same mistake.... Thanks in advance! I expected the KP to be "choosy" as well.
08-18-2022, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #6

you most likely got a fake sd card, I have never seen an legit manufacture labels their 1TB card as 1024GB, most current 1TB card cost over $120. if they price it significantly lower than that, then its a big red flag.
fake cards are very common.
heres some article on how to verify the sd card.
https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards
use that H2testw software to test it, it will write the full 1TB and then read it back to see if its actually real, it will take a very long time since its a full 1TB write and a fake card is most likely to be super slow, maybe 3-10MB/s write, its most likely its a 8GB card thats been faked in the firmware to show 1TB
08-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
But being the curious soul I am, what use are you considering for one four times larger?
I wanted some extra capacity for a longish term video project I'm contemplating, several sequential remote-controlled recordings without having to risk disturbing the subjects … these appeared to be cheap … now I know why!

They were advertised as "assorted" new cards of differing sizes, but when queried why the shipping was taking so long he apologised and said he'd send three large-capacity cards by way of recompense.
Sounded all very plausible …

Last edited by kypfer; 08-24-2022 at 05:56 AM.
08-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The picture shows the labels on three cards, the right-hand end image is the rear of one of them, they're all printed the same, just with different adhesive labels on the front!
I've yet to establish the true capacity of any of them, they're certainly slow, nothing like the spec's on the labels

I wanted some extra capacity for a longish term video project I'm contemplating, several sequential remote-controlled sequences without having to risk disturbing the subjects … these appeared to be cheap … now I know why!

They were advertised as "assorted" new cards of differing sizes, but when queried why the shipping was taking so long he apologised and said he'd send three large-capacity cards by way of recompense.
"Assorted" maybe kind of gets them off the hook for fraud. Hopefully it's ebay and you can still get a refund as they are defective.
08-18-2022, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The picture shows the labels on three cards, the right-hand end image is the rear of one of them, they're all printed the same, just with different adhesive labels on the front!
I've yet to establish the true capacity of any of them, they're certainly slow, nothing like the spec's on the labels...
Those are almost certainly fake cards.

A real Sandisk 1Tb card looks like this:

There are very many fakes. Two of the cards you show have obviously been labeled to "look like" Sandisk cards.
Basically, if the price is too cheap to be true, you're dealing with fakes almost every time.
08-18-2022, 06:38 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yup, they're all fake.
SanDisk always has their full name on the card, and the "Lexar" card isn't even spelled correctly.

Last edited by Kobie; 08-19-2022 at 07:06 AM.
08-19-2022, 02:09 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
....and the "Lexar" card isn't even spelled correctly.
-
LEXARES
08-19-2022, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A real Sandisk 1Tb card looks like this:
I thought about buying one of them once - then decided on a new lens instead ()
08-19-2022, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This isn’t as up to date as I wish but it contains useful info:
https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards
08-22-2022, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I've yet to establish the true capacity of any of them, they're certainly slow, nothing like the spec's on the labels

I wanted some extra capacity for a longish term video project I'm contemplating, several sequential remote-controlled recordings without having to risk disturbing the subjects … these appeared to be cheap … now I know why!

I noticed on Amazon that they use the distinctive layout and colours of the big brands like sandisk with just the name removed. Lexares instead of Lexar. Thanks for giving us the warning and the pictures to make (us) me aware!
08-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #15
Forum Member

More peculiar stuff!
Just "treated" myself to a couple of 1024GB SD cards for a potential project, only to find the K-3iii doesn't "like" them!
Try to format them in-camera, seems to complete, then reports that the card isn't formatted ?!?
Weird thing is they're perfectly fine in my KP … which is just as well 'cos that's where they're going to be used!
Anyone else had similar issues, or, indeed, success with 1024GB cards in their K-3iii?
Had the same problem with two 512GB cards in my K3III. Makes no difference if I format them in the camera, or my computer. Either way the camera reports they are not formatted. They now reside in my K3, and work fine. I wish I had never bought the K3III. I hate the menu system, and several other things about the K-3III that I will not elaborate upon. Should have bought a K-1.
Closed Thread