Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2022, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 III Electronic Shutter in Action

i been testing ES for past year . hand held and with tripod /monopod , in LV and OVF , with remote control and LV touch screen for wildlife , birds in fly , macro and nature .
with different lens combination and settings . With shutter speed 1/40 up to 1/3200 . "elephant in the room " it's a rolling shutter . even in high end cameras it's a issue too .
it easy to try a couple times and then made a wrong conclusion.
first we need to understand when and how to use ES , what lens you have , your setting , how far your subject , your surrounding area , background , light condition , is it fast action or landscape ?
on my picture sample it a tern bird flying very fast and very unpredictable . i decided to ES . 1) - clear sky , not messy background , sunny day for high shutter speed , i was close to birds for 150-450 mm lens .
they are many more details for camera settings too . i will keep posting some sample , and encourage any one just keep trying .
my best

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
08-22-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those look pretty good to me. Nice shots!
08-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice start on an interesting subject. Looking forward to your next installment.

I hope you can help us understand the advantages of using an electronic shutter. Also when to use it instead of the normal mechanical shutter.
Did Pentax add it just because they could or did they have a specific photographic advantage in mind?
08-22-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The mechanical sound of my K-30's shutter is typically enough to scare hummingbirds away. I imagine that they'd appreciate the electronic option.

08-22-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick question: what kind of tern is that? They look nothing like the terns here in Newfoundland. ...Well, the colours are right, but the posture in the air seems totally wrong to me compared to the ones in my sailing area. Of course when I see them they are hunting. Maybe that's it.
08-23-2022, 04:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Quick question: what kind of tern is that? They look nothing like the terns here in Newfoundland. ...Well, the colours are right, but the posture in the air seems totally wrong to me compared to the ones in my sailing area. Of course when I see them they are hunting. Maybe that's it.
It looks like a recently fledged Caspian tern. They can be a little awkward in flight.
08-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first time I was confronted with the properties of ES, was when I was shooting with a model in available city light in the evening. The high frequent flicker of some light sources will cause patterns, stripes, in your images.
Fortunately I saw it almost immediately on the display. It is an effect that could be expected. But I didn't realize it beforehand.

08-23-2022, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The biggest drawback with ES is panning.
This is a screen grab from my video on Electronic Shutter with the K-3 Mark III.
I was Panning from left to right. Everything vertical ended up tilted towards the right.
Attached Images

08-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
Nice start on an interesting subject. Looking forward to your next installment.

I hope you can help us understand the advantages of using an electronic shutter. Also when to use it instead of the normal mechanical shutter.
Did Pentax add it just because they could or did they have a specific photographic advantage in mind?
faster processor , touch screen . it's the main advantage for ES from previous models
08-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
The mechanical sound of my K-30's shutter is typically enough to scare hummingbirds away. I imagine that they'd appreciate the electronic option.
you are right . it's complete silent in live view , and silent in OVF - except the first shot ( mirror lock up ) and rest are silent.
this is a link to my other thread with some explanations and samples
K3 iii Electronic Shutter Test and Samples - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by nixxo2002; 08-23-2022 at 12:34 PM.
08-23-2022, 12:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Those look pretty good to me. Nice shots!
thanks
08-23-2022, 12:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HanSch Quote
The first time I was confronted with the properties of ES, was when I was shooting with a model in available city light in the evening. The high frequent flicker of some light sources will cause patterns, stripes, in your images.
Fortunately I saw it almost immediately on the display. It is an effect that could be expected. But I didn't realize it beforehand.
it's a light banding. on k3 III it's starts at 1/160 shutter speed in low light condition . you need to lower shutter speed . i did some test . on k1 and k1ii starts at 1/125 .
08-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
hi . it's a caspian tern
08-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The biggest drawback with ES is panning.
This is a screen grab from my video on Electronic Shutter with the K-3 Mark III.
I was Panning from left to right. Everything vertical ended up tilted towards the right.
as i wrote before . you need to be aware of your surroundings , background , and the settings . plus everyone develop the own panning teachings . when you using ES you need to consider all the aspects.