04-07-2023, 11:57 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Version 1.5 of the eBook is now out!

Pentax K-3 III eBook Version 1.5 Released - Site News | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2023, 07:55 PM   #17
MDT

Thanks for the ebook (and a couple of comments)

I bought the ebook and read it. It was quite helpful, so thanks!

I have a couple of possible suggestions for a future revision:

1) I understand that white balance distortion correction, clarity, etc. settings affect only JPEG, not RAW, images. I wasn'tso clear about whether noise reduction settings affect RAW images. I figured it out through an answer on the forum and by comparing some high ISO JPEG and RAW images. I couldn't find the answer in either the Pentax manual or the ebook. The only discussion of noise reduction I found in the ebook was in the 3.4 Post Processing section, and I wasn't sure if that also applied to image capture. An explicit explanation of settings that only affect JPEGs might be helpful - possibly in a table.

2) In the table in section 4.7.3 (Some Recommended Settings) you say, "Low contrast scene: Spot or Select (three vertical center points), Subject Recognition," and (on the next line),"Portrait: AF-S, Select or Zone area, Eye Detection, Subject Recognition."
That made me think eye detection might be a separate setting from subject recognition, but as far as I can tell from the menus, eye detection must be built into subject recognition. Is that right? Would a clarification be in order, or am I the only one who was confused?

Thanks again for the book!
05-21-2023, 12:43 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MDT Quote
1) I understand that white balance distortion correction, clarity, etc. settings affect only JPEG, not RAW, images. I wasn'tso clear about whether noise reduction settings affect RAW images. I figured it out through an answer on the forum and by comparing some high ISO JPEG and RAW images. I couldn't find the answer in either the Pentax manual or the ebook. The only discussion of noise reduction I found in the ebook was in the 3.4 Post Processing section, and I wasn't sure if that also applied to image capture. An explicit explanation of settings that only affect JPEGs might be helpful - possibly in a table.2) In the table in section 4.7.3 (Some Recommended Settings) you say, "Low contrast scene: Spot or Select (three vertical center points), Subject Recognition," and (on the next line),"Portrait: AF-S, Select or Zone area, Eye Detection, Subject Recognition."That made me think eye detection might be a separate setting from subject recognition, but as far as I can tell from the menus, eye detection must be built into subject recognition. Is that right? Would a clarification be in order, or am I the only one who was confused?
Thanks for the feedback! We will clarify both of these points in the next version.

In section 4.7.2 you can see that Pentax actually just calls their eye detection autofocus "Subject Recognition", so I believe "Eye Detection" should just be removed from the table.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2023, 06:14 AM   #19

Good day.

When will the next version be available?

Many thanks

07-02-2023, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brandycakesuk Quote
Good day.

When will the next version be available?

Many thanks
The next version will focus on the K-3 III monochrome and will likely be released next month.

Adam

07-16-2023, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The latest version of the eBook, v1.6, is now available! This updates adds over 10 pages of content specific to the K-3 III Monochrome, and covers the latest firmware update!

Download here if you already own the eBook:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/218-download-k-3-iii-ebook/446239-downlo...iii-ebook.html

Or purchase here to gain access:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub42

Enjoy!

Adam

07-17-2023, 07:42 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good news! Thanks for the regular updates.

07-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The ultimate guidebook to the Pentax K-3 III is now available: this acclaimed 170+ page eBook by Pentax Forums is designed to help you master your camera and get the most out of it in practical use.

Get the eBook here (also includes free updates)

Or download a sample here, purchase the eBook here, and download the eBook here after purchasing.

Is the e-Book K3 III also available in German?
07-27-2023, 11:01 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K.Grabler Quote
Is the e-Book K3 III also available in German?
At this time, our ebooks are available only in English. I'm sure that automatic document translation would work reasonably well on a technical document such as this, though.

Adam

09-03-2023, 02:10 AM   #25
cbi

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The latest version of the eBook, v1.6, is now available! This updates adds over 10 pages of content specific to the K-3 III Monochrome, and covers the latest firmware update!

Download here if you already own the eBook:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/218-download-k-3-iii-ebook/446239-downlo...iii-ebook.html

Or purchase here to gain access:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub42

Enjoy!
Hi,
how come the book is usd 40 here and only usd 35 on Amazon? I was expecting a special price for Pentax forum members?
Best regards
09-03-2023, 03:25 AM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbi Quote
Hi,
how come the book is usd 40 here and only usd 35 on Amazon? I was expecting a special price for Pentax forum members?
Best regards
The kindle version has the same price (Pentax K-3 Mark III: The Ultimate Guide: by PentaxForums.com - Kindle edition by Dery, Bernard, Oest, Adam. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ amazon.com.?tag=pentaxforums-20&) - but we haven't officially announced it yet. Note that the formatting of the kindle version is optimized for a smaller device, which may not look as good in print / on a computer screen as the PDF version available here.

Can you please post where else you have seen it?

Adam

10-23-2023, 04:13 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-3 Mark III: The Ultimate Guide: by PentaxForums.com - Kindle edition by Dery, Bernard, Oest, Adam. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ amazon.com.?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It is available at a price of $ 39,99

Is it allowed by this forum, Amazon is retailing it?
10-29-2023, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FlamingIce Quote
Yes. We are currently testing a release on Amazon, but this has not been officially announced. The version on Amazon is designed to be read (only) on the Kindle, whereas the version available here is a standard PDF optimized for PCs, tablets, or print.

Adam

10-29-2023, 09:54 PM   #29

Firmware 2.0

I updated to the latest firmware 2.0 version on my K3iii. Any Updates planned for the e-book? Thanks for response
10-29-2023, 10:24 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bluechip Quote
I updated to the latest firmware 2.0 version on my K3iii. Any Updates planned for the e-book? Thanks for response
Firmware 2.0 would have already been covered, but we just released an update today covering firmware 2.1, and more:

Pentax K-3 III eBook Version 1.7 Released - Site News | PentaxForums.com

Adam