Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2022, 08:31 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Master your Pentax K-3 Mark III with the Pentax K-3 III eBook

The ultimate guidebook to the Pentax K-3 III is now available: this acclaimed 190+ page eBook by Pentax Forums is designed to help you master your camera and get the most out of it in practical use.

Purchase the PDF/Printable eBook here (also includes free updates)

Purchase the Kindle eBook here (also includes free updates)

Or view a sample here and download the eBook here after purchasing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Adam; 02-04-2024 at 01:58 PM.
12-29-2022, 02:05 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Here's my 2 cents: The K-3 III eBook is well worth the cost over the user manual. The later pretty much has a one liner of what the feature is, but the eBook expands on the purpose of the features and when it should ideally be used. I used to write software manuals in my former job life, and the eBook is well written and doesn't have all those cliff hangers that the manual is filled to the brim with. Money well spent for the worthy owner of the K-3 III. Keep the change.
02-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Version 1.4 is now out, which features in-depth content on Custom Image modes as well as improvements to many illustrations throughout the book. This is a free download for those who already have the eBook. Details below:
Pentax K-3 III eBook Version 1.4 Released - Site News | PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #4

I am going thru the ebook and, as expected, tons of information there. I was excited reading this whithin the focusing chapter

4.5.1 Focus Confirmation
When working in manual focus mode, the viewfinder can help with manual focus. the PDAF engine still
operates, even if the lens is not driven. As such, when accurate focus is achieved, the focus point will light up
as it would when using AF. This helpful tool makes manual focus simpler.
One new feature of the K-3 III is that the focus point can be moved around the frame, whereas with previous
models, only the center point was usable.

Well, yes and no . Correct me if I am wrong but this is not true with manual lenses (i.e. Pentax-A, or Samyang ), right?

Danilo
Thanks

03-10-2023, 05:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
Well, yes and no . Correct me if I am wrong but this is not true with manual lenses (i.e. Pentax-A, or Samyang ), right?
AF confirmation should work with any lens, AFAIK. The only limitation is that if you want catch-in-focus, the lens needs an af/mf switch if it has autofocus.

Adam

03-12-2023, 04:00 AM   #6

Hi, sorry, the point is not the focus confirmation itself but the the fact you can move the focus point. With completely manual focusing lenses you can not move that point because is fixed to the center only. You can move the focus point with AF lenses used in manual mode.

Hope it is more clear now. This is the debated sentence:

"One new feature of the K-3 III is that the focus point can be moved around the frame, whereas with previous
models, only the center point was usable. "

Danilo
03-14-2023, 12:10 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Hi, sorry, the point is not the focus confirmation itself but the the fact you can move the focus point. With completely manual focusing lenses you can not move that point because is fixed to the center only. You can move the focus point with AF lenses used in manual mode.

Hope it is more clear now. This is the debated sentence:

"One new feature of the K-3 III is that the focus point can be moved around the frame, whereas with previous
models, only the center point was usable. "

Danilo
Ah, with the K-3 III you definitely can move the AF point around. That's why it's the best body for MF lenses

Adam

03-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ah, with the K-3 III you definitely can move the AF point around. That's why it's the best body for MF lenses
Sorry Adam, no. You cannot unfortunately. You can not move the AF point around when using MF lenses. Simply it does stick to the very center. I used Samyang 10mm f2.0 and Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 and the focus pont is one, in the very center and you cannot move that point, neither with the joystick nor with the keys.
Let say it in other words: could one with the K-3 III move the AF point around using a MF lens? No, impossible.

Hope this is clear but if you can, if you can mount a manual lens and move the AF please let me know because maybe my K3iii is broken

thanks
Ciao
Danilo
03-14-2023, 06:23 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Hope this is clear but if you can, if you can mount a manual lens and move the AF please let me know because maybe my K3iii is broken
I just did! I'd recommend that you post in the K-3 III forum for further help:
Pentax K-3 III - PentaxForums.com

Make sure you're in one of the select modes. You should see the (red) highlighted AF point(s) move around on the rear LCD, and you'll see when the corresponding area has locked focus in the viewfinder.

@bdery could we add a guide on steps to enable this this within the corresponding section of the ebook?

Adam

03-15-2023, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@bdery could we add a guide on steps to enable this this within the corresponding section of the ebook?
Will do, indeed, it's a good idea to clarify this.
03-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #11

I just did! I'd recommend that you post in the K-3 III forum for further help:
Pentax K-3 III - PentaxForums.com

Make sure you're in one of the select modes. You should see the (red) highlighted AF point(s) move around on the rear LCD, and you'll see when the corresponding area has locked focus in the viewfinder.

Hi Adam,
my camera is stuck in the "spot" af mode, no matter what mode I set the camera (M, AV, TV P) and no matter the position of the AF/MF camera switch. The joystick so does not have any effect and the rear LCD is B/W no red dots. I'm gonna try contacting other users in italian, maybe it is a language issue ?

Thanks
Danilo
03-15-2023, 10:36 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Hi Adam,
my camera is stuck in the "spot" af mode, no matter what mode I set the camera (M, AV, TV P) and no matter the position of the AF/MF camera switch. The joystick so does not have any effect and the rear LCD is B/W no red dots. I'm gonna try contacting other users in italian, maybe it is a language issue ?

Thanks
Danilo
The mode dial and af switch don't control the active points, but if you press and hold the AF mode button, then turn either e-dial, the active points will be adjusted. This can also be done via the main menu.

Adam

03-16-2023, 03:15 AM   #13

The mode dial and af switch don't control the active points, but if you press and hold the AF mode button, then turn either e-dial, the active points will be adjusted. This can also be done via the main menu.
Hi Adam.
a) If I press the AF MODE button on the front/right of the camera immediately the display shows a message: "this function is not available in the current mode" and no dials works at all.
b) Within the main menu (1.1) both the first two options within "AF with viewfinder", such as AF MODE and AF Active Area are greyed out

this using AV mode (but all the camera mode , P, TV etc are equal) and the Samyang ED AS NCS AS f2.8

Cheers

Danilo
03-16-2023, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm sure there is a better way, but try mounting an AF lens, set the af/mf switch to af, put the camera in sel mode, then switch it to MF and swap the lens.

Ever the more reason to post in the K-3 III forum if you haven't already

Adam

03-16-2023, 11:30 AM   #15

Ever the more reason to post in the K-3 III forum if you haven't already
Done !