Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #1

Sony Tough SD HSii Cards - Quick Review

I didn't like how long it was taking to empty the buffer, so I decided to order a Sony Tough SD UHS ii card with 300/299 read/write speed. I am really impressed - a high speed RAW burst (26 photos) takes less than 10 seconds to completely clear the buffer. This, unfortunately, is with only the Sony card in the camera. With a UHS i card in slot 2 it still takes forever. To test it further, I put only the Sony card into the camera in slot 2, and amazingly it was almost as fast as with it in slot 1. Looks like I will be ordering a second.

This is the fastest writing card I have seen, but I didn't look all that hard. Just an FYI for all of you.

09-16-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
which camera?
09-16-2022, 06:59 PM - 3 Likes   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
which camera?
Likely K-3iii as per the forum name.
09-17-2022, 12:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
This is the fastest writing card I have seen, but I didn't look all that hard.
There are faster writing cards, independent tests indicate Sony Tough(V90) write at 230.Which is still plenty.

I bought 2 because of the strength of the cards mainly,a faster writing card that split open(SanDisk) is of no use to anyone.

Last edited by surfar; 09-17-2022 at 12:57 AM.
09-17-2022, 12:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've had no problems at all with a pile of Sandisks, including the UFS II 300 MB/s I use in Slot 1 of the K3iii. I haven't tested its speed as deliberately as the op though.

The thing about a card in Slot 2 slowing down Slot 1 mystifies me.
09-17-2022, 03:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
A case of the weakest link? My guess is when the camera is writing to the cards, it does it one image at a time. So when it comes to clearing the buffer, the current image must finish writing to both cards (meaning the faster card has to wait while the slower one finishes) before the camera moves on to the next image to write.
09-17-2022, 06:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I thought it was a riddle, but the camera is likely to have been set to save images to both cards and then Mooncatt's explanation solves it. But a further riddle is that the UHSII card is faster than an original UHSI card. That seems unlikely so I guess the cards used are not comparable as to read and write speed. The UHSII in slot 2 is backwards compatible with UHSI and should behave like an UHSI card.

09-17-2022, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worth the extra money in Slot 1 - I've very pleased. I also like the robustness as I've experienced card failures in the past from my work flow taking the card in and out of the slot.

I've been using 1667x Lexar Pro SDXC UHS II card in slot 2 - Slot 2 is only a UHS-1 rated slot, so blowing big dough on a super fast card in that one is a waste.
09-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
It surprised me that the UHS II was faster in the 2 slot as well, but I never tested it like that before. I do have it set to save the RAW files to both cards.
09-17-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It surprised me that the UHS II was faster in the 2 slot as well, but I never tested it like that before. I do have it set to save the RAW files to both cards.
Ah, that explains it then. Mine is set to move to Slot 2 only when the card in Slot 1 is full.

Have you tried how it goes with Slot 1 set to Raw and Slot 2 set to jpeg, which is a common setting?
09-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #11

Original Poster
I have not yet
09-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #12
Forum Member

Before seeing this, I bought one a couple of weeks ago. My old cards were old, even if they notionally had the spec to keep the K3 iii running quickly. But they had become siuggish, and more worryingly inconsistently slow. So fearing a meltdown I replaced with the Sony and it's like having a new camera.

Paul

I didn't like how long it was taking to empty the buffer, so I decided to order a Sony Tough SD UHS ii card with 300/299 read/write speed. I am really impressed - a high speed RAW burst (26 photos) takes less than 10 seconds to completely clear the buffer. This, unfortunately, is with only the Sony card in the camera. With a UHS i card in slot 2 it still takes forever. To test it further, I put only the Sony card into the camera in slot 2, and amazingly it was almost as fast as with it in slot 1. Looks like I will be ordering a second.

This is the fastest writing card I have seen, but I didn't look all that hard. Just an FYI for all of you.
09-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #13

Original Poster
Ah, that explains it then. Mine is set to move to Slot 2 only when the card in Slot 1 is full.

Have you tried how it goes with Slot 1 set to Raw and Slot 2 set to jpeg, which is a common setting?
I tried this with a rather cheap SanDisk Ultra Plus UHS I in Slot 2 and it was almost triple the time of the UHS II in slot 2. I have another Sony on order and will see what I find with both Sony cards in the camera.
09-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #14

Original Poster
In some reading, I have found that some UHS-II cards are backwards compatible using a protocol (SDR104) that lets them write at 104MB/s. The Sony is one of them. Most others cap out at 50MB/s. Maybe that is why it writes so fast even in slot 2.

Last edited by 5shot; 09-21-2022 at 08:55 PM.