Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2022, 12:09 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wi-Fi Commander for Pentax usage report

.....using the free Wi-Fi Commander for Pentax app to do some K3III Focus Stacking using the Planned Shot function in the app...it went great and was exactly what was needed....send this developer some money...this is a useful app....

First the shots are calibrated for focus, added to a list and the camera then fires away and focuses where you told it to....

here is a link to the use of this for scale modeling photography....

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=64707&p=albums&album=86504&i=25#25

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
09-18-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What did your final result look like and what program did you use to combine the shots? I agree that WiFi Commander has been a well developed application since its inception. Good to look into if you're interested and if you choose to use it, do make a donation.
09-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
What did your final result look like and what program did you use to combine the shots? I agree that WiFi Commander has been a well developed application since its inception. Good to look into if you're interested and if you choose to use it, do make a donation.
It is a great app...as you suggested, i just sent some money....it is cool to see people step up when new cameras are introduced to help the developer...

Photos were brought into Adobe Lightroom first and then edited in Photoshop by exporting all the images as layers...there are two final result pictures in the linked photoalbum at Scalemates.com but I will add them here as well.....

(i bought the K3III ebook by following your donation link...however, perhaps this link should be changed to link to the app site because no one will see a donation for the Wi-Fi Commander using the original link?)
09-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
................................. (i bought the K3III ebook by following your donation link...however, perhaps this link should be changed to link to the app site because no one will see a donation for the Wi-Fi Commander using the original link?)
Where "donation" is highlighted in my post - that's just the Pentax Forum highlighting of key words (in this case "donation" with no reference to Wi-Fi Commander).

Here's the web link to the actual Wi-Fi Commander page, and the donation link is listed at the top right.

Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera

Andrea continues to make additions and improvements to this already great program designed for Pentax cameras. Like rimartindale, I would encourage Pentax users to explore this program and donate if you decide to make use of it. Note: The current version is 1.7.2 and is available in 32 and 64 bit versions - great personal support also.

Last edited by Bob 256; 09-18-2022 at 06:52 PM.
09-19-2022, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Where "donation" is highlighted in my post - that's just the Pentax Forum highlighting of key words (in this case "donation" with no reference to Wi-Fi Commander).

Here's the web link to the actual Wi-Fi Commander page, and the donation link is listed at the top right.

Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera

Andrea continues to make additions and improvements to this already great program designed for Pentax cameras. Like rimartindale, I would encourage Pentax users to explore this program and donate if you decide to make use of it. Note: The current version is 1.7.2 and is available in 32 and 64 bit versions - great personal support also.
Here are some stacks 23 and 14 images
Attached Images

09-19-2022, 02:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Such a great software. I use it all the time. When Wifi commander became available, I was very impressed that a single person like AndreaK can write such useful software that Ricoh Imaging, a billion dollar group, haven't been able to provide. Ok there is ImageSync on Android, but only until recently I could barely get ImageSync to run for more than a few minutes without crashing. Whereas Wifi commander worked reliably from day 1 I've used it.
09-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just the other way around - just got the Android app because I got a new smartphone (finally!!) so will be interested in how it performs, but I've used and liked Wi-Fi Commander which runs on my laptop and will be my main go-to for remote controlling my K-1. I was unaware of the stacking feature of Wi-Fi Commander until rimartindale's post, so thanks for that! I'm going to check it out as soon as I update my version of Wi-Fi Commander.

By the way rimartindale, those final photos look great, not to mention that model plane.

09-21-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm just the other way around - just got the Android app because I got a new smartphone (finally!!) so will be interested in how it performs, but I've used and liked Wi-Fi Commander which runs on my laptop and will be my main go-to for remote controlling my K-1. I was unaware of the stacking feature of Wi-Fi Commander until rimartindale's post, so thanks for that! I'm going to check it out as soon as I update my version of Wi-Fi Commander.

By the way rimartindale, those final photos look great, not to mention that model plane.
Thank you for those kind comments....this app is beyond useful...at its price, for sure....

The only tip that emerged in this shoot with strong, close flashes and camera settings of ISO100/f16/X Sync speed (my K3III is set to 1/100 sec)....is...you can't see a thing!.....because the screen is close to blacked out. The answer is to temporarily set the ISO with the app to whatever it takes to get a good focus...for me that was ISO25600 at least....set the focus...and then, very important, set the ISO back to ISO100 before recording the shot in the app.....note this may be true in a variety of situations such as dark landscape scenes at morning or dusk....

Last edited by rlmartindale; 09-21-2022 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add x sync
09-22-2022, 07:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for those kind comments....this app is beyond useful...at its price, for sure....

The only tip that emerged in this shoot with strong, close flashes and camera settings of ISO100/f16/X Sync speed (my K3III is set to 1/100 sec)....is...you can't see a thing!.....because the screen is close to blacked out. The answer is to temporarily set the ISO with the app to whatever it takes to get a good focus...for me that was ISO25600 at least....set the focus...and then, very important, set the ISO back to ISO100 before recording the shot in the app.....note this may be true in a variety of situations such as dark landscape scenes at morning or dusk....
Did you have Live view set to simulate the exposure? Or was it set to Auto compensate?
09-22-2022, 10:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Did you have Live view set to simulate the exposure? Or was it set to Auto compensate?
not sure...are these settings on the camera or in the software?
09-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not sure...are these settings on the camera or in the software?
On the camera. But is the software is taking the feed from the camera, it could be the issue as I hink it would be a 1:1 relation between the camera and software.
09-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be good to have this ported across to other platforms, as it has features that Image Sync lacks, even though I could probably get by with Image Sync on my iPad for a studio setup (it doesn’t seem to have issues on iOS, such as biz-engineer suggests on Android). I guess it would run via WINE on a Mac, but I’d like to know if anyone’s successfully done that before I invest any time in trying it for myself.
09-23-2022, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
On the camera. But is the software is taking the feed from the camera, it could be the issue as I hink it would be a 1:1 relation between the camera and software.
....Great catch!....yes, changing the "Setup/Exp. Simulation LV" to OFF. makes it now possible to get good focus points without the changing of the ISO back and forth...thank you....love this forum....
09-24-2022, 04:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....Great catch!....yes, changing the "Setup/Exp. Simulation LV" to OFF. makes it now possible to get good focus points without the changing of the ISO back and forth...thank you....love this forum....
No problem! Glad I could help
10-10-2022, 11:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
a weird issue solved.....

...after getting some random communication errors....i tried changing to jpeg only and that helped but what really changed things was to move the battery grip priority to the battery grip first...no clue why this worked but it did...maybe just the power reboot of the camera did it...it had been sitting on an AC adapter for a few days....

..honestly, if you can, i would pull the batteries and go AC only for this power intensive process......less chance of power issues....

....jpegs only will speed up things quite a bit and, remember, all these images are going into Lightroom or Photoshop anyway so they will be up rezzed...just get your WB correct! you can't change that on JPEGs....

Last edited by rlmartindale; 10-11-2022 at 01:04 AM.