Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SD cards for K3III

Hi!

I've been a Pentax admirer since I was a teenager in the 1960s. I own an MZ-S film camera and enjoy shooting film, but purchased a Pentax K3III Black Jet camera for a trip I'm taking in October and am matching the Black Jet to a D-FA 100mm lens. My question is: Will the Samsung SD/SDHC-1 512GB work well in it, or is too much speed and capacity?

I wonder whether Pentax will bring back a modern film camera?

09-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings, have no fear that card will work fine in the K3III.

Enjoy the new camera. You will also be able to use the glass from your MZ-S so don't feel like you are limited to the D-FA 100 you got.
09-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Suggest you use two cards, especially if the trip is special. The K3III accepts two cards.
09-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #4

You only get UHS-II speeds in slot 1. Are those SD size cards or microSD? Although you can use the SD to microSD adapter Ricoh advises against it. Why add a layer of potential failure when you can avoid it.

512GB should work if you want to spend the money and put all your eggs in one basket.

09-24-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cowboy1952 Quote
512GB work well in it, or is too much speed and capacity?
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
512GB should work if you want to spend the money and put all your eggs in one basket.
Yeah - it will work, but as Not a Number notes, you are putting (perhaps - depends on how often you read out and store your pictures) all your eggs in one basket. Unless you are shooting thousands of shots a day, I would stick with 16/32 GB cards (MUCH cheaper).

You can never have too much speed, but it's easy to have capacity overkill.
09-24-2022, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
512gb is a lot but, depending on how often you can unload your card it's better to have more than not enough. Prior to having a dual card camera (k3iii is my first) I used to rely on one card, I had one failed card in more than ten years, now I'm using two card but it mostly for peace of mind. Two 64gb works for me, but if you feel like taking tons of raw for a long trip 512 GB could make sense
09-24-2022, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a high-speed 64Gb card in slot 1, and a slower 128Gb card in slot two. In extreme cases I might shoot 400-500 shots in a day, and my cards are nowhere near filled. (In fact, usually, most of my pics go to the high-speed 64Gb card). The second card is there more as insurance if the first goes faulty. I transfer all the pics to my computer as soon as I get home.

09-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #8

What kind of shooting will you be doing? UHS-I cards are slow. I have found UHS-II to be much faster in both slots.
09-24-2022, 07:00 PM   #9

40 mb/s is the write speed of both card slots on the k-3iii. I get maybe 1 more photo with a UHS-II card versus a UHS-I card. Abysmal clear times for a flagship camera.

I have the fastest Sandisk UHS-II and UHS-I 128GB cards they make. One was $200 and one was $33. I repeat I get about 1 more photo using a UHS-II card for an extra $167 dollars.

RAW+.
09-24-2022, 09:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So to clarify what is being said here.

A 512GB card will work fine in your camera
However a lot of people find that card size to be quite large and they have concerns that if your one card should fail (not likely with a new card but possible) you would loose all of your pictures.

There are several ways to alleviate this concern

The K3III allows you to use multiple cards at one time, when set to mirror the pictures to both cards you have a backup if one fails
Most people choose to use smaller cards so if one fails you only loose the pics on that smaller card.

The card you mentioned is likely a UHS-1 card. This works perfectly fine in the K3III, but the K3III also supports UHS-II cards (in one slot)
What does that mean to you?

With the faster card you in theory can shoot longer bursts of pictures before the camera will slow down because it’s internal buffer(memory) fills up. Once the camera finishes writing to the card it will speed back up.
The faster cards will also copy the pictures to your computer faster.
(But you will also need a faster memory card reader to get this benefit)

If neither of these things really matter to you go ahead and keep using the card you have.
The speed thing is really a nice to have unless you are taking a lot of pics for sports or birds (etc…)
09-24-2022, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

There are some threads where users have tried to assess the practical advantage of using UHS-II cards, and compared them with UHS-I cards.
Unless you are shooting a lot of action and do long bursts all day long, cheaper UHS-I cards at the higher end of the UHS-I spectrum will do just fine.
I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb cards, rated 170Mb/s. Despite the name they are rather cheap.
I would keep an eye on the speed rating of the card you have, if it's a very old card, maybe i'd consider getting a smaller but faster one, not necessarily UHS-II.
512GB in size is really huge, a pair of smaller cards to do backups either using a computer or directly in camera would be wiser IMO.

Anyone really measured the UHS-II write speed in the camera? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
K-3 III - Recommend SD Cards? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
09-25-2022, 03:00 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
09-25-2022, 05:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
SD cards for Pentax K3III

Many thanks to each of you for responding to my query regarding card capacity, using two cards instead of one massive memory card, plus importance of write speeds of the camera and transfer speed to a computer. I salute each of you, and appreciate your friendliness and counsel to me for my digital journey! This is a very friendly and helpful group! My best to you!!

Cowboy 1952
09-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #14
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
40 mb/s is the write speed of both card slots on the k-3iii. I get maybe 1 more photo with a UHS-II card versus a UHS-I card. Abysmal clear times for a flagship camera.
I have the fastest Sandisk UHS-II and UHS-I 128GB cards they make. One was $200 and one was $33. I repeat I get about 1 more photo using a UHS-II card for an extra $167 dollars.
RAW+.
I have one UHS-II Kingston Canvas React Plus with 265MB/s write speed and one UHS-I Go! Plus with 120MB/s. In use I cannot actually tell the difference.
10-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using both slots, do you copy the same data to both cards for maximizing back-up? I've been using slot 1 for DNG and Slot t for JPEG. I hardly ever use the JPEG versions.