Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2022, 12:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just purchased a K-3 III

I just purchased a used K3-III. I should get it in the mail later this week. Funny enough that I purchased it from LeeHaze - mentioned in a different post. I purchased it on Ebay prior to seeing the post.

Anyway, I'll be doing a lot of research in this forum as I start using it. I have a KP that I use almost exclusively for sports photography. I have two daughters in soccer, basketball, cross country, track and tennis. I'm really hoping I see a noticeable difference with the K-3 III in the autofocus arena, primarily with soccer and under poor stadium lighting at night. I have a Sigma 70-200/2.8 that I use for soccer. I try to get photos of all of the kids and then post them to an Amazon link where anybody who receives the link can see hem and download them. I did see a couple end up in the local newspaper but no credit to me since they didn't know who took them. They just credited the XC team.

If anybody has any initial suggestions or recommendations for first getting start with the K-3 III, I"m all ears. I'm barely even an amateur photographer because I have too many hobbies and don't take the time to get deep into one single hobby. So I've got a lot to learn.

09-26-2022, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Announcing the Pentax K-3 Mark III eBook & introductory special - PentaxForums.com
09-26-2022, 02:36 PM   #3

Congratulations with your purchase!

The K3 III is a different beast compared to the KP. I would suggest delving, experimenting with the AF system before taking some serious shots and getting acquainted with the different layout of the camera functions. Give up some other hobbies for a couple of weeks :-)
09-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #4

I bought a K-3 III this past May after the price decrease. Compared to a K-3 or a KP it's definitely a more complex camera with a noticeably steeper learning curve. I would suggest getting the new Pentax Forums ebook for the K-3 III. It should autofocus noticeably better than the KP. I was at a small Scottish Highlands festival in early Sept. and was much more successful at photographing caber tossing than I have been with either my K-3 or KP. Operationally the K-3 III is a joy to use, though it will take awhile to get used to it.

09-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Master your Pentax K-3 Mark III with the Pentax K-3 III eBook - PentaxForums.com
09-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Start spending time at your daughter's practices learning the new camera before you are shooting real games, where you want to have keepers.
It takes time and experimenting to find settings and techniques which work for you and your gear.
Doing it in as close to actual conditions as possible will help you get there faster.

The K3III is a great piece of gear, but you need to be prepared to put some effort into learning it to get the most out of it.
Enjoy the process of learning it,
09-26-2022, 06:30 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

09-27-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used a KP but the K-3iii focus is really snappy even with the old screw drive lenses I uses and it is a lot more accurate after doing the AF fine adjustment. One can also really push up ISO and still get great results over the K-3 and K-3ii which are my previous primary cameras. I still don't use many of the features of the camera but the biggest reason I got it was the substantial improvement in dynamic range and noise as well as astrotracer type 3. I do a lot of astrophotography and those are killer features there. Some day I will play around with the DoF bracketing as that sounds fun and seems like an automated way to do some computational photography for simulating a smooth trans focus lens but post processing will still be needed.
09-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would write copyright info into your files Exif.
09-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would write copyright info into your files Exif.
How do you do that and what would its purpose be? Couldn't somebody still use the photo? Would a watermark logo be better? I've never really looked into any of that since I've just let anybody have them for free.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 09-27-22 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I haven't used a KP but the K-3iii focus is really snappy even with the old screw drive lenses I uses and it is a lot more accurate after doing the AF fine adjustment.
Would instructions on this AF fine adjustment be in the EBook for the K3III? Maybe I'm really starting to show my ignorance with this hobby...

Last edited by schnur07; 09-27-2022 at 10:39 AM.
09-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote
Would instructions on this AF fine adjustment be in the EBook for the K3III? Maybe I'm really starting to show my ignorance with this hobby...
Probably but it is a menu item in the wrench icon section. Set it to be per lens and then you have to go through the process of adjusting the AF for all of your af lenses. I use a yard stick set out in the lawn a ways away and have my AF focus point be the center on. I then center it on some spot on the yard stick and check to see if I am front or back focused. I adjust from there until I get it so it gets the center point in focus. I shoot wide open to cover up for any depth of field issues. You can buy AF fine adjustment targets but shooting at an angle towards a yard stick has always worked for me.
09-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote
How do you do that and what would its purpose be? Couldn't somebody still use the photo? Would a watermark logo be better? I've never really looked into any of that since I've just let anybody have them for free.
I don’t have the k3iii only the original k-3 and a KP. Both of those have a section where you write that info in. The watermark is another approach but it is mostly ignorance that causes a lack of attribution. Willful stealing is another issue that is difficult to fix.
09-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #13

Copyright information:

The embedded copyright information can be useful when you need to prove the camera is yours in case of loss, theft and you do not have the original invoice on hand. On previous Pentax bodies (have not tested on K3 III) the copyright information is not deleted when you reset the camera. You have to dive manually into the menu and delete the information manually. You can even enable or disable the EXIF copyright information to be written as metadata on your files.

AF fine tune:

With AF fine tune I have noticed I need less fiddling with AF fine tune compared to my previous Pentax K5-K3 bodies, even problematic lenses have a much better focus accuracy on the K3 III. My old Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 witch was heavily front focusing on my K5 & K3 II cameras (-8) needed little to no correction on the K3 III.

K3 III eBook:

You can until end September when you purchase the K3III eBook have a free copy of the K3/K3II eBook. In the K3/K3II eBook there is a complete chapter dedicated on AF fine tune even with some templates. The K3 eBook complements the K3 III eBook (in my opinion) as it has some tips and tricks for different genres of photography.
09-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eric1965 Quote
Copyright information:

The embedded copyright information can be useful when you need to prove the camera is yours in case of loss, theft and you do not have the original invoice on hand. On previous Pentax bodies (have not tested on K3 III) the copyright information is not deleted when you reset the camera. You have to dive manually into the menu and delete the information manually. You can even enable or disable the EXIF copyright information to be written as metadata on your files.

AF fine tune:

With AF fine tune I have noticed I need less fiddling with AF fine tune compared to my previous Pentax K5-K3 bodies, even problematic lenses have a much better focus accuracy on the K3 III. My old Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 witch was heavily front focusing on my K5 & K3 II cameras (-8) needed little to no correction on the K3 III.

K3 III eBook:

You can until end September when you purchase the K3III eBook have a free copy of the K3/K3II eBook. In the K3/K3II eBook there is a complete chapter dedicated on AF fine tune even with some templates. The K3 eBook complements the K3 III eBook (in my opinion) as it has some tips and tricks for different genres of photography.
Thanks for all the great information. Looking forward to getting it this weekend. Until then, I'll continue to use my KP this week. 4 soccer games and 2 cross country meets. And because of all of your advice to get to know the K3, I even started to dig a little more into the KP so I'll be messing with some additional settings. I finally figured out how you can use the D-pad when using SEL mode. Just hold the OK button down. Wish I had figured that one out a long time ago...Geez!
10-07-2022, 03:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Series of K-3 Mark III videos I've done.
Hopefully it helps, at least some.
Pentax K-3 III tips, tricks and info - YouTube