Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2022, 04:20 AM - 24 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

I was not strong enough...

Last year I said to myself: This KP is the last Pentax-branded camera I buy. But look at me now I just received a brandnew K-3 Mark III kit. The one of which I said "I am never gonna buy that one". Why, oh why? Well I noticed there is something going on with Ricoh/Pentax and I noticed that webshops just have a limited number of Pentax's in store and the kits are on sale to make room and are at the moment cheaper than the body only. The kit is the K-3 Mark III with the fabulous 18-135 lens. But not only this camera was on sale. So I bought myself the 31mm Ltd as well, that one arrived yesterday and I took it out and it is, well, a lens you have to get used to. It is a silver one and my new Mark III is a silver one as well, so it stands out to my K-3 II and KP.
The kit is now accumulating to room temperature and in a few hours I think I'll take it our for a stroll.

The second image is of a Katie feeling at home with her new friend...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-M225FV  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-M225FV  Photo 

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 09-30-2022 at 09:24 AM. Reason: adding picture
09-30-2022, 04:36 AM - 7 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
AfterPentax mark lll
09-30-2022, 04:40 AM - 4 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Last year I said to myself: This KP is the last Pentax-branded camera I buy. But look at me now I just received a brandnew K-3 Mark III kit. The one of which I said "I am never gonna buy that one". Why, oh why? Well I noticed there is something going on with Ricoh/Pentax and I noticed that webshops just have a limited number of Pentax's in store and the kits are on sale to make room and are at the moment cheaper than the body only. The kit is the K-3 Mark III with the fabulous 18-135 lens. But not only this camera was on sale. So I bought myself the 31mm Ltd as well, that one arrived yesterday and I took it out and it is, well, a lens you have to get used to. It is a silver one and my new Mark III is a silver one as well, so it stands out to my K-3 II and KP.
The kit is now accumulating to room temperature and in a few hours I think I'll take it our for a stroll.

congratulations on being.... weak?

(:
09-30-2022, 05:30 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

If you get to read this in time … spend some of your "accumulating" time browsing the manual.
The K-3iii is a beautiful beast … a whole step up and more, even from the KP, it really does take time to get used to.
Don't forget to update the firmware … there have been some significant improvements since the first release.
Enjoy

09-30-2022, 05:33 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a disgraceful lack of resolve, simply appalling. Hang your head in shame!!

Then hang the Katie round your neck and go use it …
09-30-2022, 05:59 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quit fueling my GAS! My KP and I are going to ignore this thread… I hope. Lol.
09-30-2022, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Sweet!! The 18-135 AND the 31LTD!!! I have the 18-135 and love it, but have always thought the 31LTD was a beautiful lens. Congratulations on your new camera and lenses! Post some photos of your new machine, and some of the output!

09-30-2022, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes the only way to resist temptation is to give in to it.
09-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If you get to read this in time … spend some of your "accumulating" time browsing the manual.
The K-3iii is a beautiful beast … a whole step up and more, even from the KP, it really does take time to get used to.
Don't forget to update the firmware … there have been some significant improvements since the first release.
Enjoy
It certainly is different, but I had help from my K-3 Mark II. If I cannot find a menu item I take the older sister and kindly ask her what a certain menu item is called. Then return to the manual and can easily find it. A while back I downloaded the PDF copy and sometimes with question on the forum I looked it up for myself in either the Dutch or English version. The PDF's are a brilliant way to find things, sometimes it takes long, sometimes short, but I got there in the end. I did indeed update to the newest firmware, what I always do when acquiring a new camera. But I kindly took your sound advice and did it right-a-way.
09-30-2022, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Have you seen this page? It contains correlation tables that match settings from various older Pentaxes to the K-3 III. There is one for the K-3 II.

K-3 Mark III Menu Correlation Table : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
10-01-2022, 04:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Looks like a moment of weakness that'll be enjoyed for years to come.
10-01-2022, 08:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I also said I wouldn’t purchase any more K-mount cameras after the KP. I have been frustrated by the KP’s focusing, but I’m simply unwilling to pay more than $1K for a new camera to get it {less if used}. Perhaps Pentax could make a camera with K-70 build to meet that requirement, but I’m not holding my breath - just as I’m not expecting them to build a new “Q” ‘just for me’.
Sorry to hear that the KP's focusing is giving you trouble. I never had any problem with the focusing abilities of the KP, I had that problem with the K-3 Mark II, but I could get over it. I prefer the KP over my K-3 Mark II. But all the Pentax's I have demand very good lighting. The only camera that is a bit more flexible in that respect is the K-01.
10-01-2022, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote

The second image is of a Katie feeling at home with her new friend...
After I bought my new KP almost 3 years ago I was saying the same thing, especially since I already had a K-3 II. But since then my son took over the K-3 II, and nothing against the KP, I feel there's a "void" that even my trusty K-5 isn't filling (I shoot summer swim meets with the K-3 II/55-300 PLM combo and it gets the job done nicely). Considering what I had, the K-3 III was never on my radar... until now.

If I do get one, it'll be the silver edition; another "void" that needs filling.
10-02-2022, 02:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the new camera. I think you'll like it. It isn't perfect, but I've been very pleased with its performance.
10-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice! You'll like the K3III. And that 18-135 is a great walkaround lens. I really like its motorized focus, too. It's a pleasure to use.