Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 iii menu question: viewing histogram and focus peaking

On my KP, you can’t display the histogram while focus peaking is enabled. it’s a mystery why, but on a retired model “it is what it is”. Great I said, if I can do that on the K3iii there’s one more reason to upgrade (yes, I’m compiling a list, with reasons on one side and dollars on the other)
I was surprised that this limit is still there (pg 64 of the manual), unless maybe it’s been fixed in subsequent firmware updates?

Does anyone have thoughts (or actual reasons even) on why these two functions seem to be mutually exclusive?

10-02-2022, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

My guess … the camera analyses what's on the screen for the histogram … any focus peaking would skew the histogram … pure guesswork, would be happy to know better

Hint :- if you set up Focus Peaking as an option on the control panel you can switch from one to the other fairly promptly
10-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The histogram and focus peaking are also mutually exclusive on the K-3 III, at least with the current firmware. My guess is that they did it sinply to remove clutter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Or maybe because they changed the way focus peaking works with the KP and K-3 Mark III? With the older K-3 Mark II and my K-01 I could push down the exposure button and focus and focus peaking (and histogram of course) worked, both in AF and MF. But with the KP and the K-3 Mark III I can only enjoy focus peaking as long as I do not push the exposure button when using MF. As soon as I push the exposure button focus peaking is switched off. So the lightmeter does not work when using focus peaking is possible in MF, hence no histogram possible. That makes a little bit sense. But in AF?
Focus peaking prevails, if you have activated histogram and overexposure warning and then activate focus peaking, histogram and overexposure warning are automatically switched off. Maybe it is a way to reduce power consumption? Or maybe protection to overheating the sensor? Your guess is as good as mine.

10-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would guess they are using some component, circuit, or process that does not multi task. Just a guess.
10-02-2022, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
On my KP, you can’t display the histogram while focus peaking is enabled. it’s a mystery why, but on a retired model “it is what it is”. Great I said, if I can do that on the K3iii there’s one more reason to upgrade (yes, I’m compiling a list, with reasons on one side and dollars on the other)
I was surprised that this limit is still there (pg 64 of the manual), unless maybe it’s been fixed in subsequent firmware updates?

Does anyone have thoughts (or actual reasons even) on why these two functions seem to be mutually exclusive?
Well if you compile a list there will always be a reason why you won't buy the Mk III. To me that is a futile exercise.
10-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well if you compile a list there will always be a reason why you won't buy the Mk III. To me that is a futile exercise.
I’m hoping that if I delay long enough I’ll be “forced” to buy the next model. The next purchase is a 100mm macro, then a new body sometime next year