Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2022, 11:23 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First impressions and soccer photos

I used my new/used K3-III at a few high school soccer games. The first thing I noticed is that the larger body (compared to my KP) pairs nicely with my Sigma 70-200/2.8. I really like the grip on it. Here are the settings I was using for the soccer games:

Continuous auto focus
Altering the Auto Focus Active Area between Expanded Area Small, Select and Select(S)
AF Area Restriction = ON
1st frame action in AFC = Focus,
Action in AFC = auto
Hold AF Status = off
Action when AF fails = Drive Lens
AF Point Tracking = Type 1 (Uses the AF and AE sensor to track AF points)
Subject Recognition = ON,
AE Metering = Multi-Segment
Face Priority AE = On
Link AE and AF Point = ON

My first game was during a bright afternoon with plenty of light. I noticed a dramatic difference in the autofocus compared to my KP. I don't know how to describe it other than it felt like it was focusing more quickly which resulted in more keepers. The greater frame rate was noticeable as well. I have a lot of figuring out and testing to do with all the various settings. I'll have to keep notes on the settings I'm using to see if I can determine a difference. I didn't notice a difference with the changes in AF Active Area settings but it's hard to notice that kind of thing while shooting. I did have a few shots where the first frame was in focus and then the very next one in succession was out of focus. I assume with AFC it was hunting for focus and missed it but not sure why.

For the poorly lit night game it did have some troubles focusing, especially since our team jersey was black, but it was definitely better than the KP. The ISO got pretty high and there is visible noise in many of the photos. I think it partly depends on where on the field the photo is taken where there is better light and of course how close the subject is to me.

Below is an example of where the first photo was in focus but the next one was not. I'll include some other photos in the next post.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
10-08-2022, 11:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot! (The first one)
Were these two photos part of a larger sequence?
10-08-2022, 11:37 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a series of photos where the AFC did nicely on 5 consecutive photos.

---------- Post added 10-08-22 at 11:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice shot! (The first one)
Were these two photos part of a larger sequence?
Nope - just two photos in sequence. I tend to be a bit conservative with the shutter because it takes me forever to go through all of the photos and edit them. But on the flip side, I'm sure I miss out on some shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
10-08-2022, 11:45 PM - 7 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are some of the night photos.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
10-09-2022, 02:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos. Looks like you got up to iso 16000 which is a bit higher than I normally go (I don't shoot sports in bad light). The performance is surprisingly good, particularly for a crop camera.
10-09-2022, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nice photos. Looks like you got up to iso 16000 which is a bit higher than I normally go (I don't shoot sports in bad light). The performance is surprisingly good, particularly for a crop camera.
That ISO is pretty high and I wanted to see how the camera would do. I don't really have much choice since I'm already shooting wide open (f2.8) and if I go any lower on the shutter speed I'll end up with blurry photos. I don't like it when the player is in focus and the ball is blurry.

---------- Post added 10-09-22 at 08:13 AM ----------

If anybody has any thoughts on the AF settings I chose, I'd love to hear. There are a number of threads about some of these options and I've read the manual and the Ebook but it's still confusing and I'm not sure which settings will give the best results. For example, I'm still not clear on expanded area focus vs select. I think expanded area is supposed to stay focused even if the subject moves out of the focus area. So this would be a benefit if your panning a moving soccer player and they move out of the focus area for a brief moment?

If you use expanded area focus and you want the smallest area possible, could you also select AF Area Restriction = ON?

After reading through the manual, I'm assuming I'd want center weighted or spot for AE metering.

And my camera doesn't beep or display a red light when focus is achieved while in AFC mode. It does on my KP.
10-09-2022, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great first serious outing results!
A few notes on the K-3 III Continuous Autofocus...
Using type 1: AE + AF is a good call, however, unless you're using either Zone or Auto AF, you won't notice a difference when using any of the Sel AF options. The subject recognition is tied specifically to the AE+AF (Type 1 option but ONLY in Zone or Auto AF.
If you want a small AF area, use SEL-M.
The K-3 III uses an LCD overlay in the viewfinder, the last generation Pentax APS-C cameras used an LED overlay. By using an LCD, it allows a brighter viewfinder but LCD doesn't light up so you won't get the red square confirmation that you're used to. You do get used to the K-3 III way though, it just takes time.

10-09-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use Spot AF Area mode (Center Point), AF Continuous mode (AF.C) and usually shoot only sunlit sports. If I want the ball to be included focused in a scene near a player, then I usually use Aperture setting of at least F/10, which if it is daylight shooting is possible with an approximate 800-1250 shutter speed. These settings are unique to me and can variate, and I have had success with them. I have noticed sometimes when I shoot a person with a white uniform and the white colored area does not have a significant amount of contrast or is glared that the AF may not focus on it as easily as if it would if the subject had more contrast and was moderately lit. These are suggestions, but please note that I use my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax usually for daytime sports as opposed to the Sigma 70-200 that you are using for night and day..

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-12-2022 at 01:50 PM.
10-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The K-3 III uses an LCD overlay in the viewfinder, the last generation Pentax APS-C cameras used an LED overlay. By using an LCD, it allows a brighter viewfinder but LCD doesn't light up so you won't get the red square confirmation that you're used to. You do get used to the K-3 III way though, it just takes time.
I hear the in-focus beep when in AFS mode and I see a red light flash (although not at the focus point), but I don't get this in AFC mode. Not a big deal, but I'm just curious why. It does make it more difficult to determine the point that the camera is focusing on if you don't see the red light.
10-10-2022, 05:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote
I hear the in-focus beep when in AFS mode and I see a red light flash (although not at the focus point), but I don't get this in AFC mode. Not a big deal, but I'm just curious why. It does make it more difficult to determine the point that the camera is focusing on if you don't see the red light.
In AF.C the viewfinder would be flashing constantly. In AFS it only happens once. My guesses as to why are...
1) People with flashing light sensitivities wouldn't like it.
2) It would be difficult to track something while the red led light keeps flashing into the viewfinder.
10-10-2022, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

In AF.C the viewfinder would be flashing constantly. In AFS it only happens once. My guesses as to why are...
2) It would be difficult to track something while the red led light keeps flashing into the viewfinder.
Kobie if you have not done it already, can you post a link to your thread where you broke down the AF operation?
10-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

nice photos

please consider sharing more

remember practice makes perfect
10-10-2022, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Kobie if you have not done it already, can you post a link to your thread where you broke down the AF operation?
I'll do one better lol.
Here's the Pentaxforums article I made where I go a bit further in depth.
Pentax K-3 Mark III Continuous Autofocus Demystified - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
10-10-2022, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I get the flashing red light on my KP which is nice because it shows where the focus point is. But it must have to do with screen like you mentioned. So with the K3 III, there's a black square that shows what it's focusing on instead of the red square with the KP. Thanks for the info Kobie!
10-10-2022, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll do one better lol.
Here's the Pentaxforums article I made where I go a bit further in depth.
Pentax K-3 Mark III Continuous Autofocus Demystified - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
I had already started reading this and it's very useful Kobie. Thanks! I just have to spend more time reading it and digesting it and practicing with different settings. So much to learn and not enough time. Here are a couple other photos just for the heck of it. What is annoying sometimes is that they don't think about us photographers with some of these fields. They have too much crap in the background like extra soccer goals or ugly chain link fences or very poor lighting or not to mention football yard lines on the pitch!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF