Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2022, 01:31 AM   #16

This is so stupid, I always forget what user setting I made for U1-5

Finally problem solved, did anyone of us talk about this before ?

10-19-2022, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Kobie: Thanks - that certainly does help . . .

. . . but not in the way I expected (of course!) I had been tailoring the customisation of the customising in a completely different way from you. Clearly, the K-3 III has over-done the number of ways you can do things.

I use U1-U5 for 95% of my shots (tweaked as necessary per shot) and thought it would be handy to be able to "swap in" the other five settings for particular circumstances.
Now, I'll leave the top five on the mode dial and just select from the others as and when needed, by using the Control Panel, in the way you show in the video. Which will be more reliable with the names visible for the five less-used ones.

Thanks again,

Pete
10-19-2022, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
This is so stupid, I always forget what user setting I made for U1-5

Finally problem solved, did anyone of us talk about this before ?
It's been discussed before. I've brought it up in a few videos and a letter I sent to Pentax including the way they've implemented it (overlay for a few seconds). It may not matter to everyone but when you're spending this kind of money, a simple oversight like this is considered inexcusable and lazy IMO.
10-19-2022, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yay! Lack of the user setting name on the display when using the mode dial was one of my biggest peeves. New FW loaded and tested and it works! Though I notice it only flashes the name up for a few seconds then it disappears. Still better than it was.

10-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
It's been discussed before. I've brought it up in a few videos and a letter I sent to Pentax including the way they've implemented it (overlay for a few seconds). It may not matter to everyone but when you're spending this kind of money, a simple oversight like this is considered inexcusable and lazy IMO.
I agree... and I don't really like this implementation. Having the name flash for a few seconds after turning the selector knob is weak. They should have just replaced the U1 with U1:Name. If the name was too long to fit, truncate it to the max allowable characters that would fit. It should always be in the Info screen. Really, they should consider getting rid of the mode dial. I'd rather have a button or two that I press and use my thumb to scroll through options.

10-19-2022, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I agree... and I don't really like this implementation. Having the name flash for a few seconds after turning the selector knob is weak. They should have just replaced the U1 with U1:Name. If the name was too long to fit, truncate it to the max allowable characters that would fit. It should always be in the Info screen. Really, they should consider getting rid of the mode dial. I'd rather have a button or two that I press and use my thumb to scroll through options.
I meant not having the name at all was lazy. I offered the implemented idea due to space considerations of other info on the screen. I don't mind this implementation since when you switch the dial, you know what actual mode you've custom set, then you shoot, you don't have to keep looking at the screen to know which mode you've chosen since the camera has now let you know. It's still better than what was there before. Especially if you've set up multiple similar user modes (B&W, B&W High Key, B&W High Contrast etc).
10-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Firmware 1.60 is out now. I don't care for the limited lens imaging update. But YES!!!! GIVE ME NAMES OF MY USER MODES!!!! Finally!!!!!

Firmware Update
Thank you for using a PENTAX K-3 Mark III digital camera.
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.60 for PENTAX K-3 Mark III.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
This firmware contains open-source software. The applicable license is listed in a text file within the download file.

Changes to V1.60
[Enhanced features]

* Added custom image Special Edition [KYUSHU]. For more details click here
* It can be used when attaching the following compatible lenses.
HD PENTAX FA 43mmF1.9 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 21mmF3.2 AL Limited
[Others]

Corrected --- When the mode dial is changed to [U1], [U2], [U3], [U4], or [U5], the name registered in the USER mode setting is now displayed on the rear LCD as a guide.
Improved stability for general performance.
* When this update is done, the contents of version 1.50 and earlier will be also updated.
* When this update is done, you will not be able to restore back to version 1.50 or earlier.
Any chance you can add a link to the new FW...

10-21-2022, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
12-31-2022, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #24
jcr

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete R Quote

But this prompts me to ask a question of the experts: does swapping settings from BOXes 6-10 in and out of the five User Modes work for you?

I've tried three or four times and it always goes wrong: I lose the settings from the User Mode that were originally there, and since they are more important to me, I've stopped trying to use the other five, even though I would find them handy if I could make it work. If anyone has the procedure exactly, or has spotted a pitfall, I'd be very pleased to hear about it.
I too am a bit puzzled about how to work with Box 6–10. As you note, moving (for example) box 6 settings to the box 5 user mode dial position clobbers the settings that were previously saved in position 5. And with no apparent way to restore them except for painstakingly recreating all the selected settings.

My expectation of how Box 6-10 should behave is that they are selectable via a menu operation, just not via the mode dial. I can understand how that might cause confusion as it would be possible to have the mode dial set to ie. user mode 3 while having user mode 7 actually loaded. But the practical result would be no different than if you individual customized some settings while in user mode 3, in that it would presumedly restore the position 3 settings (depending on your settings) when the camera is power cycled or when the mode dial is rotated to another position. Alternately, one of the function buttons could be set as a "shift" key that caused dial rotation to select User settings 6-10 as the dial is rotated through position 1-5 while holding the button.

My K-5 had a single User Mode position on the mode dial, and one could load one of 5 saved user settings by selecting that position on the mode dial and then selecting User Mode 1-5 from a menu via the rear e-dial. So another options would have been to have 1-5 directly selectable on the dial, and then an additional single dial position for 6-10 selected by menu.

As it is now, my workaround is to store an extra copy of the settings from position 5 in box 6. Then I can load any saved settings from boxes 7–10 into dial position 5 to use them, but later restore by loading box 6 into position 5.

EDIT to add: c.a.m's great idea of adding [Recall User Mode Setting] to the Control Panel which then allows loading any of boxes 1–10 into the current user mode physical dial position via selection with the rear e-dial!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/429995-k-3-iii-how-di...#ixzz7p4X1qwTz

Last edited by jcr; 12-31-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Adding link to another solution