Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2022, 08:45 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Finally!!!! Custom User mode names on the screen!

Firmware 1.60 is out now. I don't care for the limited lens imaging update. But YES!!!! GIVE ME NAMES OF MY USER MODES!!!! Finally!!!!!

Firmware Update
Thank you for using a PENTAX K-3 Mark III digital camera.
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.60 for PENTAX K-3 Mark III.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
This firmware contains open-source software. The applicable license is listed in a text file within the download file.

Changes to V1.60
[Enhanced features]

* Added custom image Special Edition [KYUSHU]. For more details click here
* It can be used when attaching the following compatible lenses.
HD PENTAX FA 43mmF1.9 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 21mmF3.2 AL Limited
[Others]

Corrected --- When the mode dial is changed to [U1], [U2], [U3], [U4], or [U5], the name registered in the USER mode setting is now displayed on the rear LCD as a guide.
Improved stability for general performance.
* When this update is done, the contents of version 1.50 and earlier will be also updated.
* When this update is done, you will not be able to restore back to version 1.50 or earlier.

10-18-2022, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #2

Hurray! I agree that the naming of User Modes is long overdue (and I also don't care about the KYUSHU and Ltds; don't have any).

But this prompts me to ask a question of the experts: does swapping settings from BOXes 6-10 in and out of the five User Modes work for you?

I've tried three or four times and it always goes wrong: I lose the settings from the User Mode that were originally there, and since they are more important to me, I've stopped trying to use the other five, even though I would find them handy if I could make it work. If anyone has the procedure exactly, or has spotted a pitfall, I'd be very pleased to hear about it.
10-18-2022, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
This might help.
10-18-2022, 06:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI: The saved name does not show if the info screen is not activated in that specific user mode you are changing to

Last edited by StigVidar; 10-18-2022 at 06:42 AM.
10-18-2022, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
FYI: The saved name does not show if the info screen is not activated in that specific user mode you are changing to
Are you sayin you need to press the INFO Button? All you have to do is rotate the mode dial to the user mode you want and the Description shows up in the upper left of the rear screen. If you want to see the description and you are in for instance U1 when the camera is turned on then rotate the mode dial off of U1 then back to U1 and the description shows for a few seconds.

Last edited by Larrymc; 10-18-2022 at 07:23 AM.
10-18-2022, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
All you have to do is rotate the mode dial to the user mode you want and the Description shows up in the upper left of the rear screen. If you want to see the description and you are in for instance U1 when the camera is turned on then rotate the mode dial off of U1 then back to U1 and the description shows for a few seconds.
It does not show up on the screen if the info screen is turned off and the user setting is saved with the info screen turned off. If you then change user mode, the screen is instantly turned off because the saved info tells it to be off.
10-18-2022, 07:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does not show up on the screen if the info screen is turned off and the user setting is saved with the info screen turned off. If you then change user mode, the screen is instantly turned off because the saved info tells it to be off.
Well reset that particular function to have the screen be on instead off and the description will show when the mode dial is rotated as I described. You do know that the INFO button can be pressed twice to turn off the rear screen?

10-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Firmware 1.60 is out now. I don't care for the limited lens imaging update. But YES!!!! GIVE ME NAMES OF MY USER MODES!!!! Finally!!!!!

Firmware Update
Thank you for using a PENTAX K-3 Mark III digital camera.
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.60 for PENTAX K-3 Mark III.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.
This firmware contains open-source software. The applicable license is listed in a text file within the download file.

Changes to V1.60
[Enhanced features]

* Added custom image Special Edition [KYUSHU]. For more details click here
* It can be used when attaching the following compatible lenses.
HD PENTAX FA 43mmF1.9 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 70mmF2.4 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 Limited
HD PENTAX-DA 21mmF3.2 AL Limited
[Others]

Corrected --- When the mode dial is changed to [U1], [U2], [U3], [U4], or [U5], the name registered in the USER mode setting is now displayed on the rear LCD as a guide.
Improved stability for general performance.
* When this update is done, the contents of version 1.50 and earlier will be also updated.
* When this update is done, you will not be able to restore back to version 1.50 or earlier.
Thanks Kobie good info!
10-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well reset that particular function to have the screen be on instead off and the description will show when the mode dial is rotated as I described. You do know that the INFO button can be pressed twice to turn off the rear screen?
I started my post with FYI: I dont need the name of the preset on the screen as I am able to remember them
10-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Waiting for some general report on stability and performance improvement (if any) from users before upgrading.
I know it's probably borderline impossible to provide more detail but those vague references to "improved stability" are a bit, well....vague.
Surely I don't feel compelled to upgrade.
10-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started my post with FYI: I dont need the name of the preset on the screen as I am able to remember them
OK, what ever floats your boat.
10-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
Waiting for some general report on stability and performance improvement (if any) from users before upgrading.
I know it's probably borderline impossible to provide more detail but those vague references to "improved stability" are a bit, well....vague.
Surely I don't feel compelled to upgrade.
Its hard to quantify the improvements but I assume they would not say that if there weren't a bit of improvement. Why not update the firmware? My camera works fine no glitches.
10-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

On the K-3 I remember having to redo AF fine tuning after a firmware update where (just an educated guess, since the description is so vague...) some tweaks to the AF were made. Currently I did not need to dial in any adjustments with the K-3iii so i'd like not to perturb the situation. However, since i've already skipped an update I think i'll do it. Upgrading every other release unless there is some high-priority fix seems pretty reasonable to me.
10-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
Currently I did not need to dial in any adjustments with the K-3iii so i'd like not to perturb the situation. However, since i've already skipped an update I think i'll do it.
Please let us know whether the update requires new AF fine tuning settings. I have also found that some firmware updates to my cameras required changes to my AFFA settings.

- Craig
10-18-2022, 12:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Please let us know whether the update requires new AF fine tuning settings. I have also found that some firmware updates to my cameras required changes to my AFFA settings.

- Craig
That's what I am afraid of...now everything is working after the update who knows. I find AF fine tuning extremely tedious and borderline impossible with some lenses, especially screwdrive; the focus is not repeatable enough, large shot to shot variance even with tripod and everything. My guess is that there is a lot of backlash in the mechanical drive, either by design or a specific flaw of my copy, or wear & tear. Fine tuning corrects systematic error, if you have stochastic error it's not useful at all. On the K-3 I did manage to improve the consistency of some lenses, namely the 100mm macro with AF fine tuning. On the new camera I have tried but it does not seem to be necessary it just works, out of the box.