Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD Cards Pentax K3 III for Antarctica & Camera Shutter Won't Work

Hello everyone. I've been reading the various threads about SD cards for the K3 III but have a question related to traveling to the Antarctic. Do I *need* an extreme weather SD card? I don't think I do with the weather-sealing of a Pentax, but would like your opinion. Currently, I have 4, 64 gb cards that are sorta fast (2 are120 mbs & the other 2 are 95 mbs) and 2, 32 gb cards and various 16 gb mixture of older cards. I was thinking of getting one more pair of cards for the trip since I plan to use both slots to record raw files - I don't plan to download them anywhere and will use the 2nd slot as a backup if the first SD card fails.

So, I need a lot of cards, but I'm not sure how much I need or if I should spend the extra money for an "extreme" card. I don't do videos on my camera and generally don't shoot in bursts so have not noticed a problem with speeds (except, possibly see below!).

I also have not used my K3 III much and occasionally it won't take a photo when I push the shutter. It's typically when I'm taking a few single shots in a row but not in a burst - it just won't move at all - and I've lost quite a few shots because of this. Could the speed of the SD card make that happen? It's been very annoying and now that I'm about to take this once-in-a-lifetime trip it will be even more annoying.

Thanks for your thoughts!

10-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry about having one of the extreme cards. However I would want lots of cards and would be looking to have them be setup for redundant write for a trip like this. I run my K-3iii as well as my other cameras in colder weather than you will experience there with the better SanDisk cards and apart from wearing a few of them out, shooting many hundreds to a thousand shots per camera in a single night of astro shooting will do that, haven't had any issues. I've been out in temps around -25F with the camera bodies and tripods getting frosted up for extended periods so I do like to punish my equipment.

I wonder if your problem with it not taking a shot is that it isn't releasing because it doesn't believe it has focus.
10-27-2022, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For a holliday like that, you can't carry enough SD cards
I really can recomment the Nexto-di.
I bought one and placed a 2 TB SSD in it.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/nexto-di-nps-10-portable-backup-device-review/
10-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

This sounds like a great trip and I envy the OP. But ... get several extra batteries!!! The camera battery depletes very rapidly in cold weather. Consider to setup your K-3iii to minimise battery consumption as well.
My 5 cents....

10-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The camera battery depletes very rapidly in cold weather. Consider to setup your K-3iii to minimise battery consumption as well.
Batteries come back to life when warmed back up but only having one battery would mean waiting for that one to warm up. So having 2 or 3 should allow mostly uninterrupted shooting. Also going to Antarctic is done during the Antarctic summer and while it isn't exactly warm the temps are no where too extreme. I actually looked it up and in November it is around 20F so while cold for someone in San Francisco that would be a nice warm winter day in MN really requiring just a lined sweatshirt. It looks like in January it gets into the low 40s so rather warm and for someone who gets accustomed to the cold the first 40 degree day becomes t-shirt weather. So given those temps frozen batteries won't be much of a problem.
10-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #6

Operating temps for SD cards are -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC).

The K3-III are -10°C~40°C (14°F~104°F).

The camera is more likely to shut down before the cards from cold.
10-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. I have 3 Pentax batteries and other third-party batteries so have more than enough. I'll stick with my plan of buying more SD cards and shooting raw in both slots (normally, I set the 2nd slot up for JPGs but I would rather ensure I have a true backup). I like to travel light and do not like the idea of having to carry a computer with me. The ship we're going on does not have a computer I can use.

Regarding my camera not letting me take a photo, it doesn't feel like it's caused by it not focusing. I wonder if the shutter button is malfunctioning - I just took a bunch of random photos and it will do it occasionally. I'll be bringing my K3 II body as well if it bothers me too much. I have not had a lot of time to play with my K3 III. I' have a few more days before we leave.

And, thanks for pointing out the weather in November - I don't know why I was thinking it would be colder. 20F is definitely not that cold when you have a good parka. I've taken photos in -25 F or so with my K3 II and didn't have an issue so I should be good.

10-27-2022, 08:09 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take a remote (or the app) and try the same kinds of bursts and see if the remote also stops in the same way.

You said the shutter won’t move? Like it’s a physical resistance?

As for the gear, ask Sandy (@Sandy Hancock) he’s been on a trip there and may have advice.

---------- Post added 10-27-22 at 11:13 PM ----------

I’ll also suggest some way to back up the camera sd cards makes sense. Additionally a tablet or chromebook to view files might be helpful. I’d shoot in jpg plus raw with jpg set to the smaller size to allow a good preview of the files to ensure nothing weird has happened in the shots before leaving the area.
10-28-2022, 03:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You don't need an SD card that's weather-resistant unless it's likely to be exposed to the elements outside of the camera.

Get a speed that works OK, there's no reason to pay more for something faster than you need.

Only buy cards from makers who are known to make good quality products - it's just not worth the savings if it means risking a card failure and losing irreplaceable photos.

As for the camera, sounds like it's faulty and needs to be repaired. The only other thing I can think of is that it's set to AF-priority (making sure the camera has found focus) before firing the shutter, but I think that's usually only relevant to bursts.
10-28-2022, 05:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Having gone to Antarctica in January, I would echo most of what has been said:

-Have at least one spare genuine battery - I had two bodies with three batteries and the third was always sitting in a charger in my stateroom on the ship and this seemed to be sufficient since you're not necessarily photographing all the time depending on what sort of trip you're on

-Get fast and reliable cards - be careful about card ratings since they might only refer to read speeds; I found myself using burst shooting for whales and birds a lot (I even set the third dial to cycle between single/L/M/H), and at 12fps DNG+JPEG, I actually managed to fill the buffer a few times. I used a mix of Lexar Professional UHS-II V60 and Sandisk Extreme Pro cards in my K-3 III, but my older Lexar cards (95MB/sec read but not V-rated) were adequate for my K-1 II
10-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Operating temps for SD cards are -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC).
That is just a recommendation. I've run regular fast SanDisk cards (not the weather/environment hardened ones) in temps down to -25F for extended periods and not had problems. Although now I do wonder if abuse like that is significantly shortening their life but I think the huge piles of astro shots probably does more damage to them overall. Usually temp ranges like that mean one can expect the card to perform perfectly normal but when you get outside of it then you might experience strangeness. A little to either side shouldn't be an issue but if I was out shooting at -40 or colder I would expect issues unless I have done that before and had experience. Now I want to go shoot Split Rock Lighthouse in the winter some time at night.