Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2022, 09:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flash question

On a K-3 III, can the AF201 FG flash work as a master to a AF540FGZII slave?
I currently have the original K-3 and am ready to upgrade to the K-3 III, but I do use the flash on the K3 as a master, so wondering what configuration could replace that.
thanks
David,

10-31-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DAKS Quote
On a K-3 III, can the AF201 FG flash work as a master to a AF540FGZII slave?
I currently have the original K-3 and am ready to upgrade to the K-3 III, but I do use the flash on the K3 as a master, so wondering what configuration could replace that.
thanks
David,
I don't think so David. There does not seem to be any way to set the AF201 to operate in Master or controller function when using P-TTL exposures.

You would be able to use it in Manual exposure mode (Full or 1/4), and by setting your AF540FGZII to Slave mode 2 (dumb slave), have the latter fire when it "sees" the 201 fire. You may find this limiting as the 201 has only two settings, Full and 1/4 and the 540 while having a much wider range of manual outputs is confined to full stops..... Full 1/2 1/4 etc.

A more flexible solution would be to buy another 540 unit, or depending on your requirements go down the road of radio triggers ?
10-31-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks, that's helpful.
I thought the 201 might also be useful as a small fill-flash for travel as well if it could serve both purposes.
10-31-2022, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DAKS Quote
thanks, that's helpful.
I thought the 201 might also be useful as a small fill-flash for travel as well if it could serve both purposes.
Indeed. The trend, and not just with Pentax, is for the top of the range cameras to have no pop-up. (K-1 and K3 III)

I am sure the small and light AF 201 would be an ideal addition to the camera bag for travel, but it clearly has been designed for no more, and to be fair has been priced accordingly.

10-31-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a nice little fill-flash. I've used it in damp conditions - mild rain but still a nice day - while paired with the 18-135 instead of my preferred ring flash and 100mm macro for field work. I was not disappointed.

It's a pretty simple unit, though.