Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #1

Pentax K3iii - First shot of the day is slow and results in a blank photo

Hi there,

I am on my 2nd Pentax K3iii (the screen failed on the first one) and it is behaving quite strangely. When I try to take my first shot of the day, after turning it on, it takes about 1-2 seconds to "think about it", and then it sort of wakes up and continues to rapidly take shots happily enough, which I often do photographing wildlife. I've noticed that the initial shot is a blank picture. After that first, seemingly jammed, shot, everything is fine.

As I've previously had a K3iii, I can tell this is specific to my new camera, so a little worried about it. I never had this problem with my original K3iii. I have recently bought new SD cards, but was using them in the last few weeks with my old camera, so I don't think that's related. I always shoot RAW.

Has anyone experienced this before and/or have any ideas if it's something silly that I'm doing wrong, please?

Many thanks for reading this and considering what could be the issue. I will try to do some experiments on the weekend and get some more info about the issue.

Pete

11-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Havenless Quote
Hi there,

I am on my 2nd Pentax K3iii (the screen failed on the first one) and it is behaving quite strangely. When I try to take my first shot of the day, after turning it on, it takes about 1-2 seconds to "think about it", and then it sort of wakes up and continues to rapidly take shots happily enough, which I often do photographing wildlife. I've noticed that the initial shot is a blank picture. After that first, seemingly jammed, shot, everything is fine.

As I've previously had a K3iii, I can tell this is specific to my new camera, so a little worried about it. I never had this problem with my original K3iii. I have recently bought new SD cards, but was using them in the last few weeks with my old camera, so I don't think that's related. I always shoot RAW.

Has anyone experienced this before and/or have any ideas if it's something silly that I'm doing wrong, please?

Many thanks for reading this and considering what could be the issue. I will try to do some experiments on the weekend and get some more info about the issue.

Pete
had the same issue with K3 III , when i turn on the camera it's take about 3 seconds . but i find out this problem related to SD cards . after i switch the cards problem gone .
11-04-2022, 12:11 AM   #3
sbc

Photos: Albums
Do you have the latest firmware? I had some weird problem with one particular SD card in the past using older firmware.
11-04-2022, 03:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ah thank you both! I have got new SD cards, so will try going back to my old ones. I did use them on my old K3iii and never noticed a problem.

A bit annoying, as they're new... but not as annoying as a broken expensive camera haha.

My new SD cards are: Sandisk Extreme PRO 170 MB/s V3 XC1 U3 10 64Gb
My old SD cards are: Sandisk Ultra 90 MB/s HC1 U1 10 32Gb

Thanks again! I will try and report back in case anyone else can benefit.

Pete

Last edited by Havenless; 11-04-2022 at 04:04 AM.
11-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I use exactly the same card as the first one you listed, and it works perfectly. What firmware version are you on ?
11-04-2022, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an FYI. Many SD cards that appear to be SanDisk are actually knock offs (especially bought on Amazon or eBay). If it doesn't say SanDisk anywhere on the card itself but shows SD instead, then it's a knock off).
11-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this: Format both cards in-camera, turn off the camera, turn it back on. Does the same problem with a slow first shot happen?

The Pentax recommendation seems to be that SD cards should be formatted by the camera for most-reliable performance.

-Joe-

11-05-2022, 04:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
Do you have the latest firmware? I had some weird problem with one particular SD card in the past using older firmware.
Oh sorry, I forgot to answer you. Yes, I have the latest firmware . I will keep an eye out for more updates though.
Thanks

---------- Post added 11-05-22 at 04:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Just an FYI. Many SD cards that appear to be SanDisk are actually knock offs (especially bought on Amazon or eBay). If it doesn't say SanDisk anywhere on the card itself but shows SD instead, then it's a knock off).
Really I hope not. I did buy it from Amazon "sold by Amazon", but not sure if that gives it any clout (I assumed it did). Neither my old, nor new SD cards, have SanDisk written on the actual plastic casing.

This is what I have:
SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC Memory Card up to 170MB/s, UHS-1, Class 10, U3, V30, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

---------- Post added 11-05-22 at 04:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Try this: Format both cards in-camera, turn off the camera, turn it back on. Does the same problem with a slow first shot happen?

The Pentax recommendation seems to be that SD cards should be formatted by the camera for most-reliable performance.

-Joe-
Thanks for your reply, Joe. Yes, I always format the cards in the camera itself, so this doesn't seem to be the issue.
Cheers, Pete
11-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh sorry, I forgot to answer you. Yes, I have the latest firmware . I will keep an eye out for more updates though.
Thanks

---------- Post added 11-05-22 at 04:47 AM ----------

Really I hope not. I did buy it from Amazon "sold by Amazon", but not sure if that gives it any clout (I assumed it did). Neither my old, nor new SD cards, have SanDisk written on the actual plastic casing.

This is what I have:
SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC Memory Card up to 170MB/s, UHS-1, Class 10, U3, V30, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[COLOR="Silver"]
You're in the clear. It's a genuine card. I meant on the sticker it should say SanDisk as well as on the packaging. Not written on the plastic itself. I should have been more specific in my wording. Knock off cards show SD instead of Sandisk.
11-08-2022, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
I use exactly the same card as the first one you listed, and it works perfectly. What firmware version are you on ?
Thanks for the reply. v1.5

---------- Post added 11-08-22 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
You're in the clear. It's a genuine card. I meant on the sticker it should say SanDisk as well as on the packaging. Not written on the plastic itself. I should have been more specific in my wording. Knock off cards show SD instead of Sandisk.
Ah ok, phew haha. Hmm. Thanks.

Yeah, it's still doing it, but I haven't really changed anything. I will try reverting to the old card and see if I can recreate it...
11-11-2022, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #11

Try FW 1.6

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-3-3.html
11-18-2022, 09:11 AM   #12

Original Poster
Incidentally, a bit of an update on this. I went back to my old SD Card, which I've never seen this behaviour from (on my previous K3iii), and the delay with the first shot still happens, resulting in a blank photo

The only things I can think of are:
- The camera is fault, or
- The latest firmware has introduced a bug
12-29-2022, 03:48 AM   #13

Original Poster
Update: The fault persists. I have updated to the latest firmware and tried different SD cards, but to no avail. It's a problem I can live with, but feels very uncomfortable, as it's clearly not right. It means I just need to take some "none photos" first, before I use my camera properly...
Thanks for all of your help and advice.
12-29-2022, 04:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update: The fault persists. I have updated to the latest firmware and tried different SD cards, but to no avail. It's a problem I can live with, but feels very uncomfortable, as it's clearly not right. It means I just need to take some "none photos" first, before I use my camera properly...
Thanks for all of your help and advice.
Have you tried it with different lenses? Worthwhile to rule out another possible cause.
12-30-2022, 05:19 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Have you tried it with different lenses? Worthwhile to rule out another possible cause.
Hey there JensE,

Yeah, thanks for the tip though. I usually use a 300mm Pentax prime lens, but for trying to find the fault, I use a 55mm fixed or my 18-250mm Sigma. The same happens on all of them.

I wonder if it is something as simple as something sticky got in there in the factory and it needs a service...