Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any 3rd party-compatible wired controllers for the K3iii?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

From what I read on the forums, the K3iii is special in that it needs the official Pentax remote to trigger the shutter. This is disappointing because I like using the interval shooting mode on my PixelPro remote and not going through the camera. True, I could set up interval shooting in the camera and use my phone to trigger the shutter, but I'd prefer to be away from my phone when I'm doing my photography.

Any advice or leads on a 3rd party remote that's compatible with the K3iii and has interval shooting capabilities, or am I stuck with my phone/forced to buy the Pentax remote?

Thanks!

11-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not tried my Neewer wired remote on my K-3 III. My MIOPS Smart Trigger works just fine on it though. I'll give the other one a try tomorrow and let you know.

Last edited by kkoether; 11-06-2022 at 05:46 PM.
11-06-2022, 01:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Which "official Pentax remote" did you have in mind?
My "JJC TM-Series Multi-Function Timer Remote Control" JJC TM-C Multi-Function Timer Remote Control for Canon / Contax / Pentax / Samsung - replaces Canon RS-60E3, Contax LA-50, Pentax CS-205, Samsung SSR-D1, SR9NX01: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo works with my K-3iii, just as it does with my other Pentax DSLRs that have cable release sockets (except the KP & K-70, which use a bigger plug)
11-06-2022, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pixel Pro TW-283E3 works fine as a wired remote and also works fine with my TW-283RX as a wireless remote. There is occasionally a problem with the 90 degree camera male end of the remote cable seating in the camera socket. That may be your problem..

11-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My Neewer NW-880 also works just fine with my K-3 III.
11-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
My Pixel Pro TW-283E3 works fine as a wired remote and also works fine with my TW-283RX as a wireless remote. There is occasionally a problem with the 90 degree camera male end of the remote cable seating in the camera socket. That may be your problem..
I have the same remote, and it works fine on my K70, so I don't want to buy another remote to test out. My remote focuses the K3iii, but does not fire the shutter. I'll replace the batteries and see if that fixes the issue.
11-06-2022, 08:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doodahdoodoo Quote
I have the same remote, and it works fine on my K70, so I don't want to buy another remote to test out. My remote focuses the K3iii, but does not fire the shutter. I'll replace the batteries and see if that fixes the issue.
My K-3 did that to me trying to use a wired remote. It was a setting, but I cannot remember which setting it was. It was about 8 years ago.

11-06-2022, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From what I read on the forums, the K3iii is special in that it needs the official Pentax remote to trigger the shutter.
Oh, where was that claimed?
11-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not use your phone with the image sync app?
11-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To enable the TW 283 to AF before shutter release go to the C 2 Menu then AF/AE lock settings then Still Image then Shutter / AF Button then either the Shutter...AF selection or the Shutter Only selection. By ticking the Shutter AF........AF AF selection you will be able to use both the the shutter release button and the AF button to autofocus. The other selections are self explanatory. Hope this works for you. BTW, it works with the TW-283RX wirelessly set up like this also.

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-07-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: more information
11-07-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Almost any remote that has the correct connector will fire your camera – even two bare wires you touch together. All you are doing is completing a circuit.
11-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Almost any remote that has the correct connector will fire your camera – even two bare wires you touch together. All you are doing is completing a circuit.
The Mk III has to be set up correctly to allow the remote to focus then release the shutter with a completed circuit.
11-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, where was that claimed?
Check out this thread. It seems the K-3 iii is picky about the remotes that work with it.
11-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I use my shutterboss without batteries in it to fire the shutter.
11-07-2022, 11:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Check out this thread. It seems the K-3 iii is picky about the remotes that work with it.
I can't seem to find that information where was it in that article?