Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2022, 08:30 AM   #1

No names - User modes

I've done the firmware update to v1.60 and it shows as such via the menu system.

The blurb says that one of the improvements is... Corrected --- When the mode dial is changed to [U1], [U2], [U3], [U4], or [U5], the name registered in the USER mode setting is now displayed on the rear LCD as a guide.

Mine still says U1, U2, U3 etc even tough they have been renamed and saved and the names are definitely saved.
Yes, I have switched the camera on/off. Any other ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Attached Images

11-07-2022, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GrumpyGrandPa Quote
Any other ideas?
Is this thread of any help? Finally!!!! Custom User mode names on the screen! - PentaxForums.com

Sounds like the User Mode name appears for a few seconds when the user mode is selected.

- Craig
11-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It works for me, but it's there for only about 4 seconds.
11-08-2022, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrumpyGrandPa Quote
I've done the firmware update to v1.60 and it shows as such via the menu system.

The blurb says that one of the improvements is... Corrected --- When the mode dial is changed to [U1], [U2], [U3], [U4], or [U5], the name registered in the USER mode setting is now displayed on the rear LCD as a guide.

Mine still says U1, U2, U3 etc even tough they have been renamed and saved and the names are definitely saved.
Yes, I have switched the camera on/off. Any other ideas? Anyone else have this problem?
The named user modes only show upon rotation of the User Mode Dial and only for a few seconds for reference after you are in the specific Mode Switch detent. The names do not show up when the camera is switched off and on.

11-09-2022, 03:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for info so far fellow Pentaxians
11-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

Grumpy, did you ever get the names to work? Mine are not showing up on 1.6 either. I have names assigned to the BOX modes and the BOX modes assigned to U1-5. It still only shows U1-U5 on the info screen, not even briefly. Baffling.
11-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scottike Quote
Grumpy, did you ever get the names to work? Mine are not showing up on 1.6 either. I have names assigned to the BOX modes and the BOX modes assigned to U1-5. It still only shows U1-U5 on the info screen, not even briefly. Baffling.
Have you assigned names to the User mode boxes? Check the manual Page 100 Saving frequently used settings discusses how to accomplish that. Its a bit fiddly but one you do it you should be able to see the User Modes pop up. You must save various functions and settings to each box first then assign the names for the boxes then assign them to the user modes.

11-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have U1 set with TAv setting, and as soon as I turn the mode dial to U1, the upper left of display shows TAv U1 and the rest of my ID for u1. After 3-4 seconds, only TAv U1 persist.
11-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
I have U1 set with TAv setting, and as soon as I turn the mode dial to U1, the upper left of display shows TAv U1 and the rest of my ID for u1. After 3-4 seconds, only TAv U1 persist.
Same as it should work but the assignment of everything has to be done in sequence. Then after its initially done the names of the boxes can be changed.
11-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My post was meant to indicate it works on both my K3iii's, as you said everything done in sequence. I have updated both to 1.6 firmware. All 5 user settings function the same, I have not used the extra five 'user boxes' as yet.

Last edited by bspn; 11-19-2022 at 11:49 AM.
11-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
My post was meant to indicate it works on both my K3iii's, as you said everything done in sequence. I have updated both to 1.6 firmware. All 5 user settings function the same, I have not used the extra five 'user boxes' as yet.
Same here, as I would expect it to. Its obvious @scottike has something set incorrectly or the Box names would show once the User Mode dial is turned. I certainly don't think certain Mk III cameras can't show the User Mode names correctly. There is something that hasn't been done correctly. Possibly step 6 and 7 on Page 100 have not been executed properly.
11-22-2022, 11:45 AM   #12
Forum Member

It's still not working for me after creating a new mode and assigning it to U1 as per the instructions on page 100. The user mode screen shows a mode has been assigned to U1 but it only ever displays U1 with no title on the Status screen. Anyone else seeing this?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (2nd generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
11-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do a camera reset?
11-23-2022, 08:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's still not working for me after creating a new mode and assigning it to U1 as per the instructions on page 100. The user mode screen shows a mode has been assigned to U1 but it only ever displays U1 with no title on the Status screen. Anyone else seeing this?
Do you have the Recall User Mode Settings set up correctly? You need to register the USER Modes there also. That is where you assign settings saved in the USER MODE boxes to the MODE DIAL. That seems to be the step you are missing. Unless they are assigned you will not see the USER MODE NAMES.
11-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #15
Forum Member

I believe I have them set up correctly. In my picture of the Save User Mode setting I thought the U1, U2, etc. on the right side of the screen indicated the User mode was bound to the listed dial position. If that’s not the case then I’m quite confused.