Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3iii ISO sensitivity setting

Out of interest, on the K-3iii, within the 'Exposure Setting' menu, 'ISO Sensitivity Setting' section, the 'Min. Shutter Speed Op.', ISO Auto with Min. Speed' and 'Minimum Shutter Speed' are greyed out and cannot be adjusted.
Can anyone advise what function(s) are these linked to, to prevent them being utilised. My guess is a link to a program function. As I don't use program functions, I don't have intimate knowledge in this area.
Looking forward to your replies.

11-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
Out of interest, on the K-3iii, within the 'Exposure Setting' menu, 'ISO Sensitivity Setting' section, the 'Min. Shutter Speed Op.', ISO Auto with Min. Speed' and 'Minimum Shutter Speed' are greyed out and cannot be adjusted.
Can anyone advise what function(s) are these linked to, to prevent them being utilised. My guess is a link to a program function. As I don't use program functions, I don't have intimate knowledge in this area.
What mode is this in where they are grayed out?
11-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What mode is this in where they are grayed out?
Many thanks for the reply. The greyed-out functions are in that state for all mode settings. The camera functions perfectly well as far as I believe, I am just curious what influences this group of functions.
11-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks for the reply. The greyed-out functions are in that state for all mode settings. The camera functions perfectly well as far as I believe, I am just curious what influences this group of functions.
Should be settable in Sv mode?

11-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
See K-3III Operating Manual, pp57...
Cheers... M
Hmmm … tells you what it should do, not under what conditions you can actually change things (my options are greyed out as well!)

Me too

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
Should be settable in Sv mode?
Nope … unless there's some other factor to consider !!
11-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Hmmm … tells you what it should do, not under what conditions you can actually change things (my options are greyed out as well!)

Me too

Nope … unless there's some other factor to consider !!
They are enabled without a lens mounted in Sv mode (at least for me)…? But that is weird.
11-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are certain areas of the manual where additional explanation is required and this seems to be one of them. One explanation maybe these functions were originally placed in the menu, but in practice not deployed.

11-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
They are enabled without a lens mounted in Sv mode (at least for me)…? But that is weird.
Ha ha … hadn't tried it without a lens
It's also available with an "M" lens fitted, so possibly something to do with the clever capabilities of using non-"A" lenses in a/e modes.
Now just got to figure out what it's good for … I wonder if it's covered in the K-3iii ebook?
11-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Had a quick look on mine. With an M series lens fitted these settings are available in Av mode but greyed out in Tv mode which I think makes sense.
Will have to investigate further
Edit - just seen @kypfer ‘s reply above :-)
11-08-2022, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to check the "Highlight" or "Shadow" correction options to see if they may possibly be related to other settings that you are trying to access. If you have one or both of them set, they may be already using designated min or max settings. The manual may go further into how the settings may be affected in the way you have mentioned.
11-08-2022, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

As far as I know it only works if Auto ISO is enabled. It is the same in the older K-3 II, but there it is directly coupled with enabling Auto ISO, but on the new one you have more options to make it more precise and to your liking.
11-08-2022, 06:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That makes sense. But it does not seem to work in TAV which is also a kind of Auto ISO.
11-09-2022, 02:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That makes sense. But it does not seem to work in TAV which is also a kind of Auto ISO.
If we look at the instruction 17 on page 11 of the manual, it discusses setting auto ISO with the green button. When auto ISO is enabled this does allow adjustment of the functions discussed in my original query. Adjusting the ISO again returns it again to the manual mode. As in the past I have only used manual ISO settings, with Tav being my primary floating ISO mode. Hence the functions discussed have always been greyed-out. Hopefully the mystery is solved.

Update - I have been the above auto ISO procedure for a range of modes and my findings are below:
Sv - no change to e-dial operation
Tv - Rear e-dial changes ISO and aperture
Av - Rear e-dial changes ISO and aperture
Tav - No change in e-dial operation
M - Rear e-dial changes ISO and shutter speed - aperture remains static
B - Rear wheel changes ISO only

Last edited by Robert N; 11-10-2022 at 05:05 AM. Reason: update
11-13-2022, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
In TAv mode, the shutter speed is specified with the dials, not by the camera. Therefore, the shutter speed settings are disabled in the ISO Sensitivity Setting panel.
11-14-2022, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

If we look at the instruction 17 on page 11 of the manual, it discusses setting auto ISO with the green button. When auto ISO is enabled this does allow adjustment of the functions discussed in my original query. Adjusting the ISO again returns it again to the manual mode. As in the past I have only used manual ISO settings, with Tav being my primary floating ISO mode. Hence the functions discussed have always been greyed-out. Hopefully the mystery is solved.

Update - I have been the above auto ISO procedure for a range of modes and my findings are below:
Sv - no change to e-dial operation
Tv - Rear e-dial changes ISO and aperture
Av - Rear e-dial changes ISO and aperture
Tav - No change in e-dial operation
M - Rear e-dial changes ISO and shutter speed - aperture remains static
B - Rear wheel changes ISO only
The potential problem with a list like this is that the K-3iii, moreso than any other Pentax camera, is very configurable, so these options are only valid if the camera is set up exactly the same