Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
As an aside, a number of comments in this thread relate to the price of the K-3iii.
When a selection of the following Pentax features are taken into account, it is quite a camera:
Excellent ergonomics, OVF and build quality.
Pixel shift.
Excellent astro tracking (approx. £350 for a mechanical tracker for other cameras)
A 1.3x crop function (equivalent to a £350 teleconverter)
Phase detection AF being at least as fast and better at subject isolation in mixed backgrounds than mirrorless cameras.
No rolling shutter effect, compared to mirrorless (except for the most expensive models).
A silent electronic shutter can be utilised in LV mode.
Even the latest model Pentax lenses are still good value compared to some other manufacturers.

Personally, I am very happy with the K-3iii.
I agree that Pentax still offers good value to those of us who already have a decent collection of lenses. I'm not sure if it is as good of value for those first starting out, depending on their needs. Lots of choices, with different cameras excelling in different areas. But there is absolutely no denying that Pentax's ergonomics, build quality and OVF are all top notch. My K3 feels great in my hand and I really enjoy using it. I have no regrets about having chosen Pentax when starting out.

Just to close the loop... Based on the mostly positive comments regarding performance with my existing lenses, I will likely be looking to upgrade to the K3iii in the next few months - maybe earlier if I see a really good deal over the holidays. It lags mirrorless in some areas (requires more skill to nail autofocus, especially on the eye), but is better in others. For a hobbiest that just shoots for my own enjoyment, the trade offs probably aren't enough to justify changing systems given the kit I already own.

In the meantime I've decided to try a used DA 55-300 PLM for the extra reach and faster focus, go out and shoot more with my K3, possibly rent a K3iii, and work on technique and post processing. The 55-300 is a lens I'd likely get for use with the K3iii anyway given it's flexibility, so it's a relatively inexpensive way to start down the upgrade path since I don't have anything with that kind of reach today. I can add a better telephoto (DA 300, DA 60-250 or D FA 150-450) later as needed.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! At least now I have a good idea on what types of improvements I can expect and the types of challenges I am likely to continue to face.

03-21-2023, 06:56 PM - 4 Likes   #32

Original Poster
Just wanted to give an update and thank all the folks that replied to my question.

After considering all the feedback and cost of changing systems, late last year I acquired an open box DA 55-300mm PLM for a good price and started to work on my technique with the K-3. A few weeks ago I found a mint K-3 iii with less than 800 shutter actuations for a really good price from an e-bay seller out of Japan (Map camera). They had good reviews here and on e-bay, so I took a chance. Early days still but the autofocus is indeed much improved over the K-3 even with screwdrive lenses, though I haven't played with them as much as the 55-300. I haven't had a chance to try out eye autofocus yet, but the viewfinder is impressive!

Autofocus may not be to the level of Canon or Sony mirrorless; but given that I just take pictures for fun, I was able to pick up both the 55-300 and K-3 iii for less than the price of a new mirrorless body and I am still able to use all of my existing glass, I'm happy.

A few pictures from the new combo. All pictures taken at 300mm and cropped. Some SOOC jpegs and others, where the crop was significant, run through Topaz Photo AI to increase resolution. Lots of cardinals out this last weekend. My K-3 would have struggled with the one peaking through the branches, but I thought the K-3 iii did a good job here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
03-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Nice shots and glad to have you in the mk III club!
Good on you to get a lightly used mk III to save some money. They are built so well that getting one used is fine.
Enjoy it!

p.s. There was a lot of discussion about missing focus and kids' birthday parties. I have the 16-50 PLM and it is awesome. If I had to take shots at a birthday party I would use that lens and take the shots with LV. That lens focuses fast and in LV you can just tap the screen on the candles or eyes, etc. Yes I know tap and shoot can be done with phones but I find OVF shooting is great for landscapes mostly.
03-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos and welcome in K-3 Mk III club. Post some photos in dedicated thread, we will all gladly take a look.

03-25-2023, 03:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrkeiser Quote
The images I get from the K3 for static subjects is more than good enough for my needs, but for kids and pets action shots and birds I often find the focus performance lacking. Much of that I'm sure comes down to technique, which I'm working on, but improved subject / eye detect and tracking of newer cameras would make it much easier.

I'm currently considering either upgrading to the K3iii or switching systems to mirrorless (Fuji aps-c or Nikon full frame) for improved subject + eye autofocus and tracking.

So, for those of you using the K3iii (and perhaps other systems), is the improved autofocus of the K3iii worth the upgrade over switching to mirrorless and, if so, do you need to have the newest PLM or SDM (presumably more reliable than my da50-135 SDM) lenses in order to really take advantage of it?
face/eye detecition and subject tracking of K-3 III made a huge step forward since K-1.
The superfast 55-300mm PLM is available used for $300.

AF speed of screwdrive lenses on K-3 is much faster than with K-3.

Pentax K-3 Mark III Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-3 Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
55-300 PLM may not be the best lens for small targets. I suppose the quality control on it is rather poor on non star/limited lenses and IQ depends if guy that was putting it together had a good coffee in the morning or not.

If you want to make use of eye-tracking AF then you will need one of few modern lenses with fast AF drives. Expensive ones, so it may be a good thing to look at other brands. This is one of features that will make you disappointed with Pentax.
Maybe your copy was not a good one.
I read much good things about the 55-300 PLM
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Show us what it can do, what it CAN'T! - PentaxForums.com
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - PentaxForums.com