Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In good light with still subjects, my 50-135 seems to be OK. This album was shot with a mix of the two DA* lenses: Oak Bay Classic Car Show 2022 | Flickr

However, with the 50-135 I was playing with my new flash the other night in low light and I struggled to get sharp focus on a high contrast feature on a large plush animal. And my focus inconsistency issues with this lens, especially in LV, are documented here: K3-3 and 50-135 Live View Focus Accuracy - With video! - PentaxForums.com

11-15-2022, 05:14 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
When I bought my K3-3, it was the same price as the Sony A7-3. I bought the Pentax because I have a 16-50, 50-135, FA501.4, DA12-24 and a couple others so I didn't want to switch systems and have to re-buy lenses.

My 50-135 and 16-50 are both converted to screwdrive due to dead SDM. I have since purchased a 55-300PLM.

Honestly it's been a mixed bag. I'm happy with maybe 1 in 8 or so photos of shorebirds with the PLM lens using the OVF, even fewer when using LV to get down at eye-level with the birds as I find the camera rarely accurately detects and focuses on the bird, much less the bird's eye. The lack of a tilty-screen makes this especially hard so you just have to shoot blindly and hope it focused, or use my amazingly innovative bendy screen on a hotshoe mod and walk around looking like you should have just bought the Sony instead.

I know others have had issues with wider AF points using lenses like the 50-135 and 16-50, me included to the point I'll only use center point/spot focus with these lenses, negating any possible tracking advantage the K3-3 has over previous models. I haven't tried other newer SDM/DC lenses but I do find my 50-135 hopelessly inconsistent to the point I just don't volunteer to take photos for birthdays or other events.

If you've watched videos on YouTube of mirrorless camera systems with proper eye-detect AF and are intrigued by the little green box precisely differentiating between the subject's iris and tips of their eyelashes and are expecting the same performance from the K3-3's eye AF, you'll be terribly disappointed. I just can't see it keeping up with a quick moving toddler or pet.

Aside from my one PLM lens, I haven't tried others - that'd defeat the purpose of getting the Pentax to avoid buying new lenses, and if I drop thousands on new lenses I might as well have just gotten the Sony to begin with. It's like when I had a BlackBerry and resisted getting an iPhone all the way until the iPhone X came out. The world has moved on from the limitations of DSLRs and unless you're an OVF purist, I think it's a mistake not to give other platforms some serious thought.

Sorry to hear that the K3iii hasn't met your expectations for autofocus. Your experience matches some others that I've seen on YouTube or read in other forums. I appreciate you providing a different perspective! I'm in a similar situation, and was considering the 55-300 PLM as a less expensive way to cover the telephoto at least in the near term, so your post was very helpful. Lots to think about...

---------- Post added 11-15-2022 at 06:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Thank you the kind words... glad you found something interesting in my 'digital droppings.'

" Custom Image: Bright" is one of several image coloration profiles built-into the camera by Pentax. These profiles help control the image photofinishing tone (Manual, p78). LRC has a user selection profile that mimics the Pentax camera profile. It controls an images tone independent of the various slider adjustments offered in the Develop Module. As such, it's as provided by Pentax and not a 'special sauce' concocted by me.

As to focus mode... Up until the K-3 MkIII, my default focus mode was AF-S+Spot for 99% of my images. Once the K-3 MkIII came onto the scene w/firmware 1.41+, I discovered that the most reliable focus mode for my shooting style, lens selection, field settings and subjects is AF-C+AF Active Area Expanded Area AF(S).

If you wish more detail, I approach my subjects somewhat like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZTpGIvrmQ&list=PLtJKhHfvd6ESOhukbhX17c2ZLfjle2VOx&index=2

Every setting described by the presenter has an equivalent setting (by a slightly different name) in the K3 MkIII. The K-3 MkIII can do the job just as well as the demonstration kit... maybe better in some cases.

Hope that helps.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers and Enjoy the Season... M
Thanks for the info and the link! I also enjoyed the photos of your Vizlas. My son had two before he got his current German shorthair. Vizlas are beautiful, good tempered dogs (or at least his were).
11-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jrkeiser Quote
Sorry to hear that the K3iii hasn't met your expectations for autofocus. Your experience matches some others that I've seen on YouTube or read in other forums. I appreciate you providing a different perspective! I'm in a similar situation, and was considering the 55-300 PLM as a less expensive way to cover the telephoto at least in the near term, so your post was very helpful. Lots to think about...
Sadly my 55-300 PLM took a bump not long after purchase and de-centered, but I'm still getting some OK shots with it. I think the cost to repair will likely be near the cost to replace

Have a look here: Winged Things at Esquimalt Lagoon | Flickr most of the shots were taken with that lens. It was quickly becoming a favorite but had some limitations. The lens doesn't show up in the EXIF data, so if the image isn't showing the specific lens, it was taken with this one. Feel free to poke around some of the other albums too for more images taken with it.

Ultimately I love the K3-3's ergonomics and speed. The OVF is great. But just know that you're not getting the latest and greatest and that with it, Pentax really only caught up to other higher end APSC DSLRs, which as you know have largely been replaced by mirrorless platforms.
11-16-2022, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you the kind words... glad you found something interesting in my 'digital droppings.'

" Custom Image: Bright" is one of several image coloration profiles built-into the camera by Pentax. These profiles help control the image photofinishing tone (Manual, p78). LRC has a user selection profile that mimics the Pentax camera profile. It controls an images tone independent of the various slider adjustments offered in the Develop Module. As such, it's as provided by Pentax and not a 'special sauce' concocted by me.

As to focus mode... Up until the K-3 MkIII, my default focus mode was AF-S+Spot for 99% of my images. Once the K-3 MkIII came onto the scene w/firmware 1.41+, I discovered that the most reliable focus mode for my shooting style, lens selection, field settings and subjects is AF-C+AF Active Area Expanded Area AF(S).

If you wish more detail, I approach my subjects somewhat like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZTpGIvrmQ&list=PLtJKhHfvd6ESOhukbhX17c2ZLfjle2VOx&index=2

Every setting described by the presenter has an equivalent setting (by a slightly different name) in the K3 MkIII. The K-3 MkIII can do the job just as well as the demonstration kit... maybe better in some cases.

Hope that helps.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers and Enjoy the Season... M
Very informative video by Matt Kloskowski. Thanks, Michael, for posting it. Kloskowski pretty much shot down the need for the vaunted "Eye AF" and said he rarely uses it in bird photography. From watching the video, the K-3 Mk III Continuous AF Zone Select and Auto Modes react essentially the way the Sony Continuous modes do with small squares becoming active or inactive as the subject moves. I also noted that the Sony Continuous AF lost focus several time on the Osprey eating a fish in a tree and then regained focus similar to the way the Mk III reacts.

So in my opinion, the Mk III isn't far behind if any and the problem with the Mk III lies with Mk III users not quite knowing how to use the camera. Part of the problem can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Ricoh/ Pentax for not developing a comprehensive operators guide for the Mk III. Mk III owners are left floundering around testing different techniques, some getting great results and some mediocre, thus the differing opinions about the Mk III here on PF. The Mk III is the best Pentax photography tool for capturing BIF and other fast moving subjects but if we are not sure how to use the tool properly its a real shame. Its like trying to tighten a phillips screw with a straight blade screwdriver, you just can't quite get it tight.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-16-2022 at 06:55 PM. Reason: more opinion
11-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Very informative video by Matt Kloskowski. Thanks, Michael, for posting it. Kloskowski pretty much shot down the need for the vaunted "Eye AF" and said he rarely uses it in bird photography. From watching the video, the K-3 Mk III Continuous AF Zone Select and Auto Modes react essentially the way the Sony Continuous modes do with small squares becoming active or inactive as the subject moves. I also noted that the Sony Continuous AF lost focus several time on the Osprey eating a fish in a tree and then regained focus similar to the way the Mk III reacts.

So in my opinion, the Mk III isn't far behind if any and the problem with the Mk III lies with Mk III users not quite knowing how to use the camera. Part of the problem can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Ricoh/ Pentax for not developing a comprehensive operators guide for the Mk III. Mk III owners are left floundering around testing different techniques, some getting great results and some mediocre, thus the differing opinions about the Mk III here on PF. The Mk III is the best Pentax photography tool for capturing BIF and other fast moving subjects but if we are not sure how to use the tool properly its a real shame. Its like trying to tighten a phillips screw with a straight blade screwdriver, you just can't quite get it tight.

Larry
I haven't had time to watch the video all the way through yet, but definitely will finish watching this weekend when things slow down a bit. No doubt poor technique is contributing to my lower hit rate on birds with my K3, which is still a very capable camera in the right hands - even if not as good as the K3iii. Birds are new for me, as I currently shoot mostly people, pets, landscapes, etc. Reading through the comments in this thread has started me thinking that rather than looking at investing in a new body now, perhaps I should consider investing in some longer glass to better fill the frame and make autofocusing easier and concentrate on improving my technique first? I've seen the 55-300 PLM used in "very good" condition for as low as $280 (with ability to return if it turns out to be defective) and the da300 for a little over twice that. I could keep an eye out for a good deal on a new or used K3iii as I continue to work on developing my skills. The only downside to that plan is the additional money sunk if I ultimately decide to switch systems...

I won't lie, I like the "idea" of mirrorless being able to more easily nail focus on people and pet eyes (my primary subjects), as well as hopefully make capturing birds easier. But I know mirrorless isn't perfect. I recently saw a video from a wildlife photographer talking about how Sony, Canon and Nikon mirrorless all struggle to lock focus on small birds with busy backgrounds while their Nikon DSLR nails it nearly every time. While they preferred mirrorless for many types of shots, for others they always reached for their DSLR. No perfect camera, and the grass i always greener...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

---------- Post added 11-16-2022 at 10:19 PM ----------

In good light with still subjects, my 50-135 seems to be OK. This album was shot with a mix of the two DA* lenses: Oak Bay Classic Car Show 2022 | Flickr

However, with the 50-135 I was playing with my new flash the other night in low light and I struggled to get sharp focus on a high contrast feature on a large plush animal. And my focus inconsistency issues with this lens, especially in LV, are documented here: K3-3 and 50-135 Live View Focus Accuracy - With video! - PentaxForums.com
Love the classic car shots!

---------- Post added 11-16-2022 at 10:20 PM ----------

Sadly my 55-300 PLM took a bump not long after purchase and de-centered, but I'm still getting some OK shots with it. I think the cost to repair will likely be near the cost to replace

Have a look here: Winged Things at Esquimalt Lagoon | Flickr most of the shots were taken with that lens. It was quickly becoming a favorite but had some limitations. The lens doesn't show up in the EXIF data, so if the image isn't showing the specific lens, it was taken with this one. Feel free to poke around some of the other albums too for more images taken with it.

Ultimately I love the K3-3's ergonomics and speed. The OVF is great. But just know that you're not getting the latest and greatest and that with it, Pentax really only caught up to other higher end APSC DSLRs, which as you know have largely been replaced by mirrorless platforms.
Nice bird photos! I really like the Pentax ergonomics too.
11-16-2022, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I like how Matt K in that video also speaks to the benefit of the flip out screen for being able to get shots low to the ground on the level of the subject's eye.

Anyway, the eye tracking AF thing... do you really want to to spend $1500 on the latest f/1.4 lens only to get back home and realize all the photos you took of the kids birthday party are focused on the eyebrows or nose instead of the iris? Good eye AF tracking is proving that you can spend more time working on the composition of the photo and being able to trust that the camera locks onto the subject's eye. AF-recompose is such an outdated way to handle this now - especially when recomposing will almost certainly introduce enough movement that your plane of focus will shift off the iris (if you were lucky enough to lock onto it in the first place).
11-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #22

Original Poster
I like how Matt K in that video also speaks to the benefit of the flip out screen for being able to get shots low to the ground on the level of the subject's eye.

Anyway, the eye tracking AF thing... do you really want to to spend $1500 on the latest f/1.4 lens only to get back home and realize all the photos you took of the kids birthday party are focused on the eyebrows or nose instead of the iris? Good eye AF tracking is proving that you can spend more time working on the composition of the photo and being able to trust that the camera locks onto the subject's eye. AF-recompose is such an outdated way to handle this now - especially when recomposing will almost certainly introduce enough movement that your plane of focus will shift off the iris (if you were lucky enough to lock onto it in the first place).
All good points! Just want to share one thought about chasing perfect focus. Even though I started this thread inquiring about whether-or-not the K3iii would significantly improve my keeper rate with older screw-drive lenses, I have to admit that when it comes to pictures of my granddaughter growing up, for example, the fact that they could have been a little sharper, slightly better focused or had a little less noise is less important to me than the memories they bring back. I've gotten some great shots of her with various Pentaxes over the years, going all the way back to the *ist DL. And I've gotten a few not-so-great that I kept anyway. I bought my first DSLR shortly after she was born to capture those moments. I bought a Pentax because that's what my dad shot with. I still occasionally mount his old auto-takumar 55 f1.8 with my m42 to k mount adaptor when I feel like going old school and manual focusing.

Although we may strive for perfection, sometimes we need to remind ourselves that a picture doesn't have to be perfect to elicit an emotional response or bring back fond memories. Someday my granddaughter will have kids of her own, and I'll want to capture those memories too. Mirrorless could certainly make it easier to make sure their eyes are in perfect focus, but I'm sure I'll keep a number of less-than-perfect pictures of my great grandkids too. And I suspect (hope) someday you'll look back at those not-quite-perfect pictures of your kids you kept and feel the same way.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I'm still weighing my options, but we're lucky that we have so many good choices to meet the various needs of different photographers.

Thanks again for responding, and enjoy taking pictures of your kids!

---------- Post added 11-16-2022 at 11:57 PM ----------

Eye PP Tip:

The principal subject's eye, or one eye when a pair is present, ALWAYS assumes the most important position in your composition (I crop to compose... ).

1. At some point when using LRC's Development module, enlarge the image to 300% then create a small "eye size" radial mask. It's centered on the key eye's pupil.

2. Using the various sliders associated with the mask, increase exposure to the point the iris and pupil start to show. Follow-up by increasing contrast and increasing black (to regain the eye's black point). If moire is present, fiddle with that slider to remove it, too.

3. Repeat for eye 2, if two eyes are present.

4. Close down the mask and move on to finish fine tuning the image.

Easy... peasy...

For example...

Welcome to the spell of he famous "Vizsla Stare."

Cheers and enjoy the season... M
The whole post processing thing opens a whole new can of worms! Thanks for sharing your tips and the picture of your Vizla!

Last edited by jrkeiser; 11-16-2022 at 11:01 PM.
11-17-2022, 08:48 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not interested in a flippy screen because the Mk III doesn't have one. I'm not interested in on sensor Eye AF because the Mk III doesn't do that through the viewfinder. What I am interested in is getting the best out of what I have which is a Pentax K-3 Mk III. Constantly complaining about what the camera doesn't have is counter productive. I knew well before the release of the Mk III that it didn't have a flippy screen or on sensor Eye AF and I think most buyers of the camera also knew the same things. I just enjoy and appreciate the whole experience of shooting with the K-3 Mk III.
11-17-2022, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Current K3 user with a number of screw drive lenses (da21 limited, fa43 limited, da70 limited, fa35, fa135 and da50-135 converted to screw drive when sdm failed). The only non-screw drive lens I have is the da18-135 as a general purpose walk-around lens, though I honestly don't use it much because of the smaller apertures for low-light shooting with no flash. I also have a Tamron 28-75 and 1.4x teleconverter that I sometimes use with the 50-135 or 135 when need extra reach. I don't shoot wide very often, and when I do the da 21 is wide enough for me.

I haven't shot as much in the past few years, but am trying to get back into photography as a hobby. Subjects I typically shoot include people, pets, landscapes, travel, etc. I'd like to be able to shoot more action and birds (obviously need a longer lens lol). The images I get from the K3 for static subjects is more than good enough for my needs, but for kids and pets action shots and birds I often find the focus performance lacking. Much of that I'm sure comes down to technique, which I'm working on, but improved subject / eye detect and tracking of newer cameras would make it much easier.

I'm currently considering either upgrading to the K3iii or switching systems to mirrorless (Fuji aps-c or Nikon full frame) for improved subject + eye autofocus and tracking. I know the autofocus of Canon and Sony are better, but RF lenses are too expensive and I don't care for Sony ergonomics. Switching systems is expensive and I wouldn't get much for my current kit if I chose to sell or trade it, making the K3iii the cheapest upgrade route, especially when considering used. I've used Pentax since the *ist DL, and love the build quality and feel of the K3. I also enjoy shooting with the limited primes - especially the fa43. However, there is no arguing that Pentax has always been behind the competition when it comes to autofocus in their digital cameras and it doesn't make sense to keep investing more money in a system if it ultimately doesn't meet my needs.

So, for those of you using the K3iii (and perhaps other systems), is the improved autofocus of the K3iii worth the upgrade over switching to mirrorless and, if so, do you need to have the newest PLM or SDM (presumably more reliable than my da50-135 SDM) lenses in order to really take advantage of it? If I have to upgrade all my lenses anyway, then going mirrorless probably makes more sense... As much as I'd like to go try the camera myself, the only camera store left anywhere near me only carries Canon, Nikon and Sony.
I can add my penny's worth of experience of the K-3iii AF (compared to my K-3), with screw and other lenses.
Screw lenses
HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Lens: Regarding shots of oncoming cars at motorway speed, with the K-3, I needed f8 for sufficient depth of field for a good hit rate. With the K-3iii, any aperture is good. Excellent eye focus lock-on to birds in flight.
DA 35mm F2.4 AL Lens: Very fast focusing with the K-3, blazingly fast with the K-3iii.
Tamron AF90mm f2.8 macro 1:1: This is a great macro lens from the film era. AF latch on with the K-3 sometimes a little hesitant. Faster AF and excellent lock-on with the K-3iii.
DC drive lenses
Fairly fast AF with consistent lock-on with the K-3, fast AF with the K-3iii and excellent hit rate for oncoming motorway cars.
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Lens: very fast and consistent AF lock-on with the K-3, almost instant lock-on with the K-3iii and eye tracks birds in flight with ease.
I trust this is useful.
11-17-2022, 02:53 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'm not interested in a flippy screen because the Mk III doesn't have one. I'm not interested in on sensor Eye AF because the Mk III doesn't do that through the viewfinder. What I am interested in is getting the best out of what I have which is a Pentax K-3 Mk III. Constantly complaining about what the camera doesn't have is counter productive. I knew well before the release of the Mk III that it didn't have a flippy screen or on sensor Eye AF and I think most buyers of the camera also knew the same things. I just enjoy and appreciate the whole experience of shooting with the K-3 Mk III.

Fair points. However, Pentax knew it had a captive market for the K3-3. Nobody was selling their gear to move to Pentax just for the best OVF experience around - the vast majority of buyers were staying in the system to keep their lens collection.

What we've seen though is an otherwise excellent camera crippled by old focus technology in lenses (My 50-135 never focuses in LV, is consistently inconsistent in OVF accuracy and wide AF points always misses focus. Even my 16-50 which seems to be a good copy suffers from poor quality focus outside the center points). Maybe Pentax didn't bother with eye tracking because they knew their older lenses couldn't keep up with it?

With a captive market, Pentax had an opportunity to give users a few nice additions - instead we got incremental upgrades that are barely keeping up with DSLRs from 5-6 years ago. In fact, many of those DSLRs have things like flippy screens to aid with creative composition.

I paid $2500 CDN for my Mk3. I bought it because I had, what I thought, were good quality lenses. Whatever advantage the Mk3 brings over the K5 (and there are many) are often overshadowed by poor focus performance consistency. Now I'm looking at re-buying lenses - if I had planned on doing that, I'd have spent the same on the A7iii and had a better camera.

I think the K3-3 is a fantastic camera, at about $600-800 less.

Just giving you my experiences - as I said previously, I don't look forward to taking photos at events and being the one to have to explain why the kid blowing out his birthday candles wasn't in-focus.

---------- Post added 11-17-22 at 01:55 PM ----------

All good points! Just want to share one thought about chasing perfect focus. Even though I started this thread inquiring about whether-or-not the K3iii would significantly improve my keeper rate with older screw-drive lenses, I have to admit that when it comes to pictures of my granddaughter growing up, for example, the fact that they could have been a little sharper, slightly better focused or had a little less noise is less important to me than the memories they bring back.
Great points and indeed, it's the memories. But when photographing for other people, I'd rather have those memories nice and sharp. I've had better focus accuracy from my iPhone X
11-17-2022, 03:33 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
I can add my penny's worth of experience of the K-3iii AF (compared to my K-3), with screw and other lenses.
Screw lenses
HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Lens: Regarding shots of oncoming cars at motorway speed, with the K-3, I needed f8 for sufficient depth of field for a good hit rate. With the K-3iii, any aperture is good. Excellent eye focus lock-on to birds in flight.
DA 35mm F2.4 AL Lens: Very fast focusing with the K-3, blazingly fast with the K-3iii.
Tamron AF90mm f2.8 macro 1:1: This is a great macro lens from the film era. AF latch on with the K-3 sometimes a little hesitant. Faster AF and excellent lock-on with the K-3iii.
DC drive lenses
Fairly fast AF with consistent lock-on with the K-3, fast AF with the K-3iii and excellent hit rate for oncoming motorway cars.
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Lens: very fast and consistent AF lock-on with the K-3, almost instant lock-on with the K-3iii and eye tracks birds in flight with ease.
I trust this is useful.
Very useful! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

---------- Post added 11-17-2022 at 04:35 PM ----------

Great points and indeed, it's the memories. But when photographing for other people, I'd rather have those memories nice and sharp. I've had better focus accuracy from my iPhone X
No doubt a different set of expectations when shooting for others, especially if being paid.
11-17-2022, 03:55 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I trust this is useful.
This is an intriguing lens. Do you have a link to albums with photos you've taken with it?

Samples I've seen are either heavily cropped or just poorly shot with many from the 55-300 PLM or DA*200 looking better :/

---------- Post added 11-17-22 at 03:52 PM ----------

Very useful! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

---------- Post added 11-17-2022 at 04:35 PM ----------

No doubt a different set of expectations when shooting for others, especially if being paid.
Even just for free for friends. If I'm going to bring a $2500 camera body to a birthday party, I want to take sharper photos than all the iPhones in the room
11-18-2022, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is an intriguing lens. Do you have a link to albums with photos you've taken with it?

Samples I've seen are either heavily cropped or just poorly shot with many from the 55-300 PLM or DA*200 looking better :/

---------- Post added 11-17-22 at 03:52 PM ----------

Even just for free for friends. If I'm going to bring a $2500 camera body to a birthday party, I want to take sharper photos than all the iPhones in the room
Sebberry, please find a link below (MS OneDrive) to some sample shots from my HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Lens with the K-3iii.
I hope the resolution is better than posting the images directly onto the Pentax Forum. In my opinion this lens is top-notch, with optical performance as good as a very good prime lens.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
11-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Sebberry, please find a link below (MS OneDrive) to some sample shots from my HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Lens with the K-3iii.
I hope the resolution is better than posting the images directly onto the Pentax Forum. In my opinion this lens is top-notch, with optical performance as good as a very good prime lens.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
Lovely bird photos!

I suppose there's a lot that needs to go into the lens to hit that quality when adding an extra 150mm, but I'm not seeing the added value over the 55-300PLM, at least not for me. Most, not all, of the photos here were with the PLM, plus some in other albums. Winged Things at Esquimalt Lagoon | Flickr
11-19-2022, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From MTF reviews, optically my HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Lens and the PLM version appear to be very close and are very good lenses. I use my 55-300mm lens as an excellent travel lens, in combination with my everyday go to lens, the outstanding HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR. I invested in the 150-450mm lens specifically for wildlife and sport, which gives the advantages of:
Extra resolution of fine detail.
Edge to edge sharpness at all f nos.
Superb sharpness at half a stop above maximum aperture, allowing lower ISO shooting.
Excellent subject tracking.

As an aside, a number of comments in this thread relate to the price of the K-3iii.
When a selection of the following Pentax features are taken into account, it is quite a camera:
Excellent ergonomics, OVF and build quality.
Pixel shift.
Excellent astro tracking (approx. £350 for a mechanical tracker for other cameras)
A 1.3x crop function (equivalent to a £350 teleconverter)
Phase detection AF being at least as fast and better at subject isolation in mixed backgrounds than mirrorless cameras.
No rolling shutter effect, compared to mirrorless (except for the most expensive models).
A silent electronic shutter can be utilised in LV mode.
Even the latest model Pentax lenses are still good value compared to some other manufacturers.

Personally, I am very happy with the K-3iii.