Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2022, 03:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
In the film days there was not a movable screen, let alone any screen at all.
In film days some cameras including the Pentax LX offered interchangeable finders such as waist level and swivelling "action" finders, and I used one. They were the functional equivalent of the flippy screen on a DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
There are of course Pentax branded camera's with a flippy screen like the K70/KF and the old KP. These camera's were aimed at mirrorless users to get them get used to an OVF
And the K-1 which I have, and which is in no way aimed at mirrorless users, nor is that the thinking behind the other cameras you mention. I have never owned a mirrorless camera in my life. I use a WL finder or flippy screen not for any mobility problem, but because they are more convenient in some situations, like not having to fetch a stepladder if I need to hold the camera up high. Otherwise I use the OVF.

11-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

As I pointed out when the K-3 III was announced, the lack of flippy screen is something that can be worked around, although of course in a far less elegant way. I agree that the camera, at that price, should have a flippy screen even if it makes it bigger.
11-16-2022, 02:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I'm not well enough informed to know, but does HDMI communicate two-ways? Or is it a one-way communication from the source to the destination?
One way, but I don't see why Pentax themselves can't come up with an HDMI+USB-C to USB-C or lightning cable for connection to phones to properly control the camera from a hotshoe mounted phone. But perhaps the thinking that the OVF reigns supreme in all situations will ensure that such a product from Pentax never sees the light of day
11-17-2022, 04:14 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Good thought, but that screen is $500USD, which is a costly expense to remedy this design omission. The materials I used were about $30, and the phone, while now just an unused spare, was probably $150. If I was prepared to spend $500 more, I'd have moved to mirrorless.

The HDMI output shows all the info that is on the LCD, and entirely disables the LCD when in use.
the cheaper ones are also around 150$, including an swivel arm.
some of the more expensive ones allow touch screen controls, and higher resolutions. I guess touch screen is not supported by camera - would be nice idea though , K-3III has touch screen? - and one has probably to check which resolutions the pentax hdmi out supports, ... lowest my camera supports is 480p up to 1080i.