Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2022, 09:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ISO invariance for the K-3iii

A question mainly for the astro photography experts out there who use the K-3iii. Can you advise the ISO invariance characteristic of this camera (i.e. over what ISO range can image exposure be increased without incurring more noise). Having a modern sensor, I would expect invariance to start at a fairly low level. Also from an invariance perspective, what ISO level for astro/night photography can be utilised to avoid highlights being burned out.
Also from a dynamic range graph I have seen, it looks like the native ISO range is 100 - 51,200.
Looking forward to your replies, which may start an interesting debate.

11-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That really depends on your intended post-processing. Judging by https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Pentax%20K-3%20III and, considering that Pentax usually handles things in full ISO stops (scaling -0.3 and +0.3), a test of ISO100, 200 and 400 with your post-processing workflow seems to be sufficient, higher settings don't seem to improve things further.
11-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This might help:
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Pentax%20K-3%20II,Pentax%20K-3%20III

The k-3ii isn’t the same sensor but you can see the effect of the accelerator on shadow improvement. The k-1 vs k-1ii shows a similar relationship so I think it’s valid.

In my opinion you should try iso 100, iso 400, and iso 6400. Compare those and see.
11-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
That really depends on your intended post-processing. Judging by https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#Pentax%20K-3%20III and, considering that Pentax usually handles things in full ISO stops (scaling -0.3 and +0.3), a test of ISO100, 200 and 400 with your post-processing workflow seems to be sufficient, higher settings don't seem to improve things further.
This is an interesting point, not completely unrelated from the issue of iso invariance. Is ISO on the K-3iii handled in full stops of analog amplification and 1/3 stops are "digital gain" ? As far as I understand the relevant plot on PhotonstoPhotos to assess that aspect of the ISO behavior should be the one linked below. They say it's not meant for comparing different cameras quantitatively but only the qualitative behavior. Cases where the 1/3 stops are possibly to be avoided should look like the 5d, with constant plateaus, the K-3 seems very linear with no plateaus, whereas the mark 3 is kinda in-between...

11-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
As far as I understand the relevant plot on PhotonstoPhotos to assess that aspect of the ISO behavior should be the one linked below.
Both K-3 and K-1 seem to switch in full ISO increments, even though the largely ISO-invariant sensors doesn't show it as clearly as the 5DM2 with its nice plateaus in this graph. The K-1 II and KP have a very wavy 'photographic dynamic range' in the higher ISO range, in full EV periods, indicating that also the noise reduction parameters seem to be optimized at full increments. The K3-III does seem to be more fine-tuned. An additional complication for Pentax might be that while the nominal ISO increments are equally spaced by 1/3 EV, the actual implementation, as recently discussed, better matches -0.3 EV / +0.3 EV around the full ISO stops in terms of captured raw values, likely also contributing to the overall waviness - photostophotons uses the nominal ISO.