Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2022, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
For Kypfer, recent firmware updates to the K-3iii offer crop factors of 1.3 and 1.7. With my 150-450mm f4.5-5.6 ED DC AW D-FA HD, this gives a reach around 900mm and 1150mm respectively (with no effect on aperture). Hence offering the enhancement of the reach of your 70-200mm lens plus 2x teleconverter. I find for these crops, the RAW file size remains the same, but the JPEG files are around two thirds and half the size of the normal frame equivalent, respectively.
I don't bother with in-camera crop-factors or focal length "equivalents" … a 500mm lens is still a 500mm lens and a 26Mpixel sensor is still a 26Mpixel sensor.
I use it all at exposure time and worry about subject size later
I crop as necessary for framing and resize where applicable if I managed to get close enough to fill the viewfinder that much.

12-08-2022, 01:18 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also think that the C-AF has been improved with the latest firmware. I tried my updated K-3iii on aviation photography during a whole day in an airport and took more than 3000 photos. The light was poor with overcast all day with some better light during the midday when there was some weak sunlight through clouds. My findings:

1. The C-AF that I mostly used gave me a higher % of tack sharp images. In the past there were times in a long burst that 2-3 consequent frames were slightly OOF before the camera regained perfect focus on the subject. Now I didn't find this behaviour even at very remote subjects (where the problem was more frequent). I can't say this is a fact yet but surely the samples are quite many to draw some firm conclusions. I'll wait for feedback from other users to confirm my findings...

2. MOST important and confirmed finding for me is the obviously and vastly improved SR in panning mode! Due to low light and prop planes flying in front of us with many touch and goes I shot mainly with very low shutter speeds (down to 1/60 on quite many occasions) and I tried the SR-panning mode VS the no VR mode I was mostly using until now. I had found that the SR in standard or panning mode gave me pictures that had a slight vibration when checked in 100% size and really few where as sharp as I want them to be (I have strict criteria). OTOH no VR means no help so many really bad pictures from motion blur but as I have the technique and experience now I could get some images that were tack sharp from the nose to the tail of a plane. The % was really low and there were bursts that gave no great panning images at all, but still I preferred the glass to sensor image without any SR interference results. Now the improvement was so important and obvious that from the first tries I sticked with the SR in panning mode, as I was getting a really good % of really sharp images! I went back and forth during the day and comparing the results on my PC yesterday I was really satisfied by the use of SR now and I confirmed what was obvious from the first time I reviewed the photos on the back of the screen. Great job Pentax! Keep up the good work and keep on improving things with firmware updates!

Last edited by redpit; 12-08-2022 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typos
12-09-2022, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I don't bother with in-camera crop-factors or focal length "equivalents" … a 500mm lens is still a 500mm lens and a 26Mpixel sensor is still a 26Mpixel sensor.
I use it all at exposure time and worry about subject size later
I crop as necessary for framing and resize where applicable if I managed to get close enough to fill the viewfinder that much.
Kypfer, I quite agree that I try and fill the native frame where possible, but if required the camera crop function is a very useful asset as the the image quality is as good as the native frame, also with the benefit of maintaining the aperture setting.
12-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have downloaded the firmware update for my K3 iii. When I hold the menu button while turning the camera on it does not give me the option to update I only see my regular screen. HELP!

12-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cadre6655 Quote
I have downloaded the firmware update for my K3 iii. When I hold the menu button while turning the camera on it does not give me the option to update I only see my regular screen. HELP!
You need to follow the instructions to the letter.
Extract the fwdc233b.bin file from the download.
Copy it to the root of an SD card.
Put the card in slot 1 on the camera
Switch on the camera with the menu button depressed … you may need to keep it pressed for a few seconds whilst the card is read and the update menu appears
12-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You need to follow the instructions to the letter.
Extract the fwdc233b.bin file from the download.
Copy it to the root of an SD card.
Put the card in slot 1 on the camera
Switch on the camera with the menu button depressed … you may need to keep it pressed for a few seconds whilst the card is read and the update menu appears
...and note the minimum SD card size: 32GB
12-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
...and note the minimum SD card size: 32GB
Based on what? Even 1Gb card works. (I don't have any smaller for testing)

Last edited by Spotter51; 12-10-2022 at 01:20 AM.
12-09-2022, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Minimum means not less than.
12-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spotter51 Quote
Based on what? Even 1Gb card works. (I don't have any have smaller for testing)
You misread. Pentax states the MINIMUM card size as 32GB. Larger than that is fine. I've used 256GB cards too, but did make the mistake of using 8 or 16GB cards, probably more than once, and the update failing because of it.
12-09-2022, 01:41 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax states the MINIMUM card size as 32GB.
Isn't the minimum 32 MB ?
12-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Isn't the minimum 32 MB ?
LOL! Yes, of course.
12-09-2022, 04:11 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You misread. Pentax states the MINIMUM card size as 32GB. Larger than that is fine. I've used 256GB cards too, but did make the mistake of using 8 or 16GB cards, probably more than once, and the update failing because of it.
I keep a couple of old 256Mb (mega-byte, not giga-byte!) cards for jobs like this, never had a problem.
They're a bit slower (all right, a lot slower) than modern cards, but they work perfectly well
12-09-2022, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Forum Member

I don't think it's my imagination, but my K-3iii seems to be much more critical about what is or isn't in focus since the latest update.
When using AF-C, Pentax points out in the Operating Manual that the shutter can be released even if the subject isn't in focus … OK, fine, I've learnt to live with that and keep my eye on the green hexagon in the viewfinder, but still, inevitably, got the few total misses with birds in flight.
This afternoon, in overcast grey dismal conditions, the shutter usually refused to release unless the bird (or the background) was in focus … no halfway guess … no focus, no release!
This was still using AF-C, but in conjunction with the new "extra small" central focussing spot … well impressed
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
From my testing, very.
During my testing outing, I used a combination of both AF.S and AF.C using SEL xs. In AF.C the lens never hunted on static subjects with busy scenes. You can easily zero in on your subject to isolate them. The xs is really extra small.
I watched that video, Kobie, game-changer is quite an understatement. So many improvements are being quietly implemented in a typical Pentax fashion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'm genuinely excited by all of the new and hopefully on going firmware upgrades. Obviously with the Mk III they have packed enough expansion capacity to add features. Wonder what else Pentax has in store for the Mk III?
Many more, I assume, especially considering the fact that the K-3 III uses a HUD, where I thought all DSLR manufacturers were going to. A HUD is programmable.
12-09-2022, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
From my testing, very.
During my testing outing, I used a combination of both AF.S and AF.C using SEL xs. In AF.C the lens never hunted on static subjects with busy scenes. You can easily zero in on your subject to isolate them. The xs is really extra small.
I watched your video a day ago and had already planned to get around to updating sometime this weekend. Your testing looked promising. Reading through this thread I decided to do it tonight. In preliminary tests using the new XS focus point around the house in less than great light it seems much improved, homing in exactly on small ornaments buried among fir tree branches, and with a planned hike in the morning I should be able verify it's not just my imagination.

Gosh, I'm so encouraged by the work Pentax is putting into improving an already very good camera. A lot of very positive changes in the year and a few months since I bought it.
12-10-2022, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am intrigued... how do you set up the Smart Function (using AF Area) to include XS, I do not see it in the options of that screen. (It may be me trying to start to use this function)

SORTED - RTFM syndrome!!

Last edited by snappyhoffy; 12-10-2022 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Found it!