Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In focus beep

Using my K3 iii I can hear the auto focus trying to lock on however I do not get a beep or flash in the viewfinder.My sound effects settings are all turned on in the wrench page 3 menu. Suggestions please.

12-10-2022, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cadre6655 Quote
Using my K3 iii I can hear the auto focus trying to lock on however I do not get a beep or flash in the viewfinder.My sound effects settings are all turned on in the wrench page 3 menu. Suggestions please.
Does the AF actually achieve focus lock ?

Does the green hexagon illuminate ?

Are you using AF-S or AF-C ?
12-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Does the AF actually achieve focus lock ?

Does the green hexagon illuminate ?

Are you using AF-S or AF-C ?

In addition to the above … what lens is fitted and what are the lighting conditions like and what is the subject?
12-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I experienced this since I updated to v1.70. Camera switches to af-c itself. I think that it is related to switching xs mode.

12-10-2022, 04:19 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Pentax cameras didn't give a focus beep either but I still had the green hexagon illumination, Then I happened to mention it to my wife and she assured me that the camera beeps every time. I couldn't hear it. So I turned it off in the menu, no since bothering other people. Some day I will have to get hearing aids.
12-10-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
My Pentax cameras didn't give a focus beep either but I still had the green hexagon illumination, Then I happened to mention it to my wife and she assured me that the camera beeps every time. I couldn't hear it. So I turned it off in the menu, no since bothering other people. Some day I will have to get hearing aids.
We had a question about this some years back and for that person, it turned out just as you said. Someone suggested he go get his wife and have her listen. Yep...it was beeping. For me, it was one of my flashes. It was showing that it was powered up, but it wasn't giving me a confirmation beep. Or so I thought. I eventually changed the hand I was holding it in and suddenly I could hear it. This may not be what the OP's problem is, but it's sure the first thing I would check.
12-11-2022, 05:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a future FW upgrade could be to link with bluetooth to the latest hearing aids..

12-11-2022, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I updated to 1.70 before going on a photo hike yesterday and noticed an instance or two where the camera wasn't giving me a focus confirmation. I don't recall that prior to the update, but I won't yet blame it on the firmware. It was a really foggy morning with bad light and reduced contrasts. In fact I spent the majority of my shooting time with black and whites because of the conditions.

I'll be more aware of the situation where it occurs and post if I believe there's anything associated with it.
12-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I updated to 1.70 before going on a photo hike yesterday and noticed an instance or two where the camera wasn't giving me a focus confirmation. I don't recall that prior to the update, but I won't yet blame it on the firmware. It was a really foggy morning with bad light and reduced contrasts. In fact I spent the majority of my shooting time with black and whites because of the conditions.

I'll be more aware of the situation where it occurs and post if I believe there's anything associated with it.
In my experience, this is noticeable occasionally if using the new extra-small focus point.
Seems like the camera is being more critical about getting things exactly right than it used to be, but if the chosen focus point is actually a low-contrast or low-detail point it's going to struggle
12-11-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
In my experience, this is noticeable occasionally if using the new extra-small focus point.
Seems like the camera is being more critical about getting things exactly right than it used to be, but if the chosen focus point is actually a low-contrast or low-detail point it's going to struggle
Thanks for mentioning that. I had intended to say it may well have been when using the new smaller focus point.
12-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think I may need to send my K-3 III back for warranty repair. I recently noticed I have no veiwfinded illumination ie. the red flashing focus dot and no focus conformation beeps. The camera itself works great dispite these two things. I've checked what settings I can think of and the viewfinder illumination is on and focus beep is on. Anyone have any other ideas? Probably wait until the holidays are over to send it in.

Last edited by kkoether; 12-11-2022 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
12-11-2022, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I think I may need to send my K-3 III back for warranty repair. I recently noticed I have no veiwfinded illumination ie. the red flashing focus dot and no focus conformation beeps. The camera itself works great dispite these two things. I've checked what settings I can think of and the viewfinder illumination is on and focus beep is on. Anyone have any other ideas? Probably wait until the holidays are over to send it in.
Are you in AF.C or AF.S? The beep and illumination only works in AF.S and possibly only if set to focus priority.
12-11-2022, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Are you in AF.C or AF.S? The beep and illumination only works in AF.S and possibly only if set to focus priority.
AF.C. I will switch to AF.S and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

---------- Post added 12-11-22 at 09:08 PM ----------

That was it. I shoot mostly action so my camera stays in AF.C. Thanks much!!!
12-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
AF.C. I will switch to AF.S and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

---------- Post added 12-11-22 at 09:08 PM ----------

That was it. I shoot mostly action so my camera stays in AF.C. Thanks much!!!
Glad you don't have to send the camera back!
12-11-2022, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Glad you don't have to send the camera back!
Me too! I'm glad I asked the question.