Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2023, 01:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K 3iii astrotracer type 3 timer

When the K-3iii is set in 'B' mode for the astrotracer type 3 function, there is a timer symbol shown under the ISO display on the monitor. Can an experienced astrotracer user kindly advise a novice with this function on the use of and how to set this timer. I have set the interval timer, but this appears to have no effect on the astrotracer timer display.
Looking forward to your replies.

01-22-2023, 11:29 PM   #2
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that the clock-like thing displayed under the ISO is the exposure limit, i.e. the maximum exposure time the camera thinks is OK for the lens' focal length for the section of the sky the camera is looking at. (The farther away from the celestial poles, the shorter the maximum exposure will be.) It's not specific to Type-3, and I understand that it's not specific to K-3III either, though my KP doesn't display that number.

In the case of Type-3, since the camera has no knowledge of camera's pointing direction, it cannot tell the exposure limit until it takes a measurement shot. Therefore that number is blank before taking the first shot. Once you take the first shot, that number is set to something (e.g. 1 min 20 sec), and it won't change until the next shot.

As for the interval timer, you don't have to use that for astrotracer, but sometimes it makes sense to use it. I always set the "Fixed Time Release" setting to OFF and the "Interval" to Minimum. The camera takes a fixed number of exposures (set in "Number of Shots") without skipping any in the shortest time the camera can manage. (You can achieve the same thing as far as Fixed Time Release is OFF and Interval is shorter than or equal to your exposure time, but setting "Interval" to Minimum means that you don't have to think about that.)
01-23-2023, 06:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I believe that the clock-like thing displayed under the ISO is the exposure limit, i.e. the maximum exposure time the camera thinks is OK for the lens' focal length for the section of the sky the camera is looking at. (The farther away from the celestial poles, the shorter the maximum exposure will be.) It's not specific to Type-3, and I understand that it's not specific to K-3III either, though my KP doesn't display that number.

In the case of Type-3, since the camera has no knowledge of camera's pointing direction, it cannot tell the exposure limit until it takes a measurement shot. Therefore that number is blank before taking the first shot. Once you take the first shot, that number is set to something (e.g. 1 min 20 sec), and it won't change until the next shot.

As for the interval timer, you don't have to use that for astrotracer, but sometimes it makes sense to use it. I always set the "Fixed Time Release" setting to OFF and the "Interval" to Minimum. The camera takes a fixed number of exposures (set in "Number of Shots") without skipping any in the shortest time the camera can manage. (You can achieve the same thing as far as Fixed Time Release is OFF and Interval is shorter than or equal to your exposure time, but setting "Interval" to Minimum means that you don't have to think about that.)
KWB, many thanks for your informative reply - much appreciated. As the camera mode is B, I set the exposure settings and time as my best guess. It sounds like the exposure time can be optimised by manually changing to the setting proposed by the 'clock' under the ISO display. This sounds like a very useful feature.
01-23-2023, 01:24 PM   #4
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
KWB, many thanks for your informative reply - much appreciated. As the camera mode is B, I set the exposure settings and time as my best guess. It sounds like the exposure time can be optimised by manually changing to the setting proposed by the 'clock' under the ISO display. This sounds like a very useful feature.
It's at least one data point that you can use. I feel as if the camera tends to overestimate, though.