Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2023, 06:50 PM - 15 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Amazed

Hi all.
For the digital age I had a k7 followed by a k3 and just today received the k3-iii and all I can say is I wish I had bought it when it first came out. The autofocus is so vastly better that itís a very different experience. And being able to control the camera from my phone makes me not care about a tilting screen. Havenít attached a plm lens yet (tomorrow Iíll try a few others) and even still am loving it. Glad I didnít dump Pentax for Sony after all. If youíve been on the fence for a few years like me donít hesitate. Itís a much better experience in my opinion. I was very close to tossing in the towel for better autofocus. Iíve yet to see what itíll do for birds but so far Iím very happy.

01-24-2023, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good decision... the K-3iii is the real deal.

For maximum goodness, be sure to update the firmware to the most recent version.

Cheers... M
01-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Good decision... the K-3iii is the real deal.

For maximum goodness, be sure to update the firmware to the most recent version.

Cheers... M
Yes, almost the first thing I did. It was shipped with 1.21.
01-25-2023, 04:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Before you were waiting for the camera after you pressed buttons. Now the camera processor is overclocked, nervously waiting for you to do something, most of the time.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-25-2023 at 04:22 AM.
01-25-2023, 05:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Before you were waiting for the camera after you pressed buttons. Now the camera processor is overclocked, nervously waiting for you to do something, most of the time.
Yes. I agree. I will say I was okay with the k3 in pretty much all respects except the autofocus. Having two small kids even the plm lenses just couldnít quite cope unless they were still (so never).
Itís going to take a while to figure out the menu system, but other than that I like everything about the k3-iii. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the phone control works. Taking the odd family portrait will be so much easier now. All things considered I should have bought it at launch. Iíve been using my iPhone for most photos lately, but now I can confidently take them on the camera.
01-25-2023, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moray-eel-bite Quote
Yes. I agree. I will say I was okay with the k3 in pretty much all respects except the autofocus. Having two small kids even the plm lenses just couldnít quite cope unless they were still (so never).
Itís going to take a while to figure out the menu system, but other than that I like everything about the k3-iii. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the phone control works. Taking the odd family portrait will be so much easier now. All things considered I should have bought it at launch. Iíve been using my iPhone for most photos lately, but now I can confidently take them on the camera.
Glad you like it. I sure like mine.
Also, I went from K-3...which isn't bad.

Besides phone control, I like the "Live view" with electronic shutter. I can tap screen where I want it to focus and shoot. It's silent!
6 Days Ago   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Glad you like it. I sure like mine.
Also, I went from K-3...which isn't bad.

Besides phone control, I like the "Live view" with electronic shutter. I can tap screen where I want it to focus and shoot. It's silent!
These are the features that I want for the next K-1, including the joystick. That's all I really want, everything else will be a bonus.

6 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k3-iii was a quantum leap for me (from the k5) and yes, it is a beauty
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #9

For me, there was a big jump from the K-5 to the K-3. Usually, I have all 6 of the lens corrections applied (shadow, highlight, distortion, vignetting, diffraction, and lateral chromatic aberration) turned on, since I shoot JPEG and like to do as little editing as possible. With the K-5, it would take the camera a second or two to save to memory after each shot, which meant waiting after every shot for the camera to catch up, which would keep interrupting a series of shots, particularly when working with a model.

With the K-3, the camera’s computer is quick enough to process the corrections in the blink of an eye, so I could shoot without any interruptions. Next month, I’ll be doing my first model shoot with the K-3 III, and it will be great to get sharper images even at ISO 6400. What a change from shooting film, when 800-speed Fuji film would give me the slight degree of softness that I wanted, but was the highest speed that would give acceptable results.

I’m also looking forward to shooting birds with the k-3 III, because its improved autofocus speed over the K-3 should be very helpful.
1 Day Ago   #10

Original Poster
So Iíve had a chance to use it on many lenses now and the camera has definitely breathed new life into several lenses. In particular my sigma 70-200 hsm nails focus now and it was hit and miss on the k3. Same with the bigma. Very happy with the autofocus.
21 Hours Ago - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a warning... After you buy the 55-300 PLM you will want the 16-50 2.8 PLM... Actually you'll want all lenses to be PLM.