Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2023, 02:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF point selector

Hi everyone,
for K3 III owners, is it possible to select the focus points also with the classic four-way controller?
Thanks to anyone who can answer.

02-06-2023, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Page 102 in the manual wouuld appear to say NO (it lists all the functions you can assign to the 4-way controller).
02-08-2023, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Salvo85 Quote
Hi everyone,
for K3 III owners, is it possible to select the focus points also with the classic four-way controller?
Thanks to anyone who can answer.
No you can't. The Joystick (aka, AF Point Selector Lever) obviates the need to press the Four way controller to move the focus point when shooting with the viewfinder. Also you can use the touch screen to focus and shoot when in live view.
02-08-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm wondering why you'd want to use the 4 way controller given that the joystick is right by the thumb and in a MUCH better location to make on the fly AF position changes. Genuine question of curiosity.

02-08-2023, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I'm wondering why you'd want to use the 4 way controller given that the joystick is right by the thumb and in a MUCH better location to make on the fly AF position changes. Genuine question of curiosity.

It's true, it may seem strange. I plan to buy a k3 iii and take it underwater. Given this, the housing manufacturer would have a hard time creating a command for the joystick. I knew for example that the Nikon D500 allows you to use the classic selector for this purpose (But maybe I'm wrong). In any case, if the autofocus of the k3 iii is so good, it will only be enough to have the various focus presets available with the "smart function". I think it will work quite well.
02-09-2023, 04:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Salvo85 Quote
It's true, it may seem strange. I plan to buy a k3 iii and take it underwater. Given this, the housing manufacturer would have a hard time creating a command for the joystick. I knew for example that the Nikon D500 allows you to use the classic selector for this purpose (But maybe I'm wrong). In any case, if the autofocus of the k3 iii is so good, it will only be enough to have the various focus presets available with the "smart function". I think it will work quite well.
Makes sense. They could use something like a rubber grommet that would fit over the joystick. Or something like that. I never thought of the under water shooting situation. I can see how the joystick would be an issue though.