Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2023, 05:00 AM   #1

Capture One support for K3-III

Hello,

I hope there are many Caprure One user at this forum.
As you maybee know there is no offial capture one support for the K3-III available.
this results in no offical support for problems in combinationw ith this camera, no pef support and DNG only as native interpretation.
This results also in some not optimal behavior like grrnisch skin colours, especially in dark regions, general colourchanges by colour noise reduction and so on.
After repeting the request often i got the answer by capture one that this is because of missing support bei Pentax. (see https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4722081941277/comments/9343757022493 and https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4722081941277/comments/9343757022493)

Pentaxsupport has given me the information that the request is known but at low priority because of missing request. My interpretetion for this is that after 2 years there is also not a high propability for the future. Thats not the yupport I would have expected
Thats why I ask all interested users to get in contact with Pentaxsupport or whatever to let them know there is interrest

best Regards, Roman

02-16-2023, 05:51 AM   #2
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also K1ii support came after long delay, so K3iii may also eventually arrive.

I also had colour issues in K1ii DNG files on higher ISO. Typically ISO800 and under were good. But when K1ii PEF support eventually came even ISO100 shots looked better.

Based on history Capture One is not a good choice for early adaptors of Pentax cameras.
02-16-2023, 07:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Today morning I had answered Pentax Europe again them that thats not what i would expect and that lag of softwaresupport is also not the best marketing decission. Also that I will try to get more requests to them
Not I doesnt know who to tust, they answeerd after an internal talk they can tell me they ahve tried to get into contact with capture one several times, but they hat no interest. Seems that they are beaming ech other and we are the idi... Additional they told me there was only one additional request (remark: in this short time) so that means now i can see there is no interest and they understand capture one. For custumer support that seems a little bit passive aggresiv for me, specialy when they say they had this request already.
For sure I will also confront Capture One again with this. When both sides say they have interest and also tryed to get in cointact, then everything should be almost clear and ready to implement...
02-16-2023, 10:51 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by oberlero Quote
Today morning I had answered Pentax Europe again them that thats not what i would expect and that lag of softwaresupport is also not the best marketing decission. Also that I will try to get more requests to them
Not I doesnt know who to tust, they answeerd after an internal talk they can tell me they ahve tried to get into contact with capture one several times, but they hat no interest. Seems that they are beaming ech other and we are the idi... Additional they told me there was only one additional request (remark: in this short time) so that means now i can see there is no interest and they understand capture one. For custumer support that seems a little bit passive aggresiv for me, specialy when they say they had this request already.
For sure I will also confront Capture One again with this. When both sides say they have interest and also tryed to get in cointact, then everything should be almost clear and ready to implement...
I have had C1 at least from version 4.8 and my current version is 21. Now Capture 1 is bombing me with all kind of offers and "loyalty gifts" for upgrading. But there is no point to upgrade before the PEF-support for K3-III is ready. Meanwhile I can use Silkypix (11 pro currently) and it serves that purpose very well in deed.

02-20-2023, 01:28 AM   #5
Forum Member

I've been nudging C1 to support the K3 iii too. I use DNG with the camera and get pretty good results. Except for a bad skin tone issue which I solved by setting the colour NR slider to zero.
https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4793163700893-Skin-t...Pentax-DNG-Mac

I will probably stay with v22. It does what I want and going to a subscription would be expensive. When it stops working with my Mac I'll have to switch to other software. I've been asking them to support the K3 iii but it keeps getting pushed back and when they launch v23 they'll stop adding cameras to v22.

Paul
02-22-2023, 05:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_R_H Quote
I've been nudging C1 to support the K3 iii too. I use DNG with the camera and get pretty good results. Except for a bad skin tone issue which I solved by setting the colour NR slider to zero.
https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4793163700893-Skin-t...Pentax-DNG-Mac

I will probably stay with v22. It does what I want and going to a subscription would be expensive. When it stops working with my Mac I'll have to switch to other software. I've been asking them to support the K3 iii but it keeps getting pushed back and when they launch v23 they'll stop adding cameras to v22.

Paul
Have you ever thought about switching to a processing software that does support the K-3 III. if you have, may I suggest a software that updates pretty regularly and does not require a subscription.......DXO PhotoLab 6.

Last edited by Larrymc; 02-22-2023 at 07:09 PM.
02-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't remember what it was that sold me but I watched some comparisons between DXO and C1, as well as Lightroom. Oddly, Lightroom runs terribly slowly on my computer so I settled on C1. The colour processing with browns/greens can be an issue in some photos.

02-24-2023, 01:16 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Have you ever thought about switching to a processing software that does support the K-3 III. if you have, may I suggest a software that updates pretty regularly and does not require a subscription.......DXO PhotoLab 6.
But DXO doesn't have tools for keystoning or cloning/healing does it? I use them a lot, because I very seldom take my images through Photoshop (well, Pixelmator Pro in my case).

Thanks

Paul
02-25-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_R_H Quote
But DXO doesn't have tools for keystoning or cloning/healing does it? I use them a lot, because I very seldom take my images through Photoshop (well, Pixelmator Pro in my case).

Thanks

Paul
Yes the new PhotoLab 6.3Elite has Keystoning tools as well as cloning/healing tools and the very best noise reduction tools (DeepPrime XD) available. DXO has a free 30 day trial and PhotoLab is not a subscription service like many of the other high end software is becoming these days. Give them a try, the GUI is a bit different from the others but easy to use.
03-22-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I might want to try something other than Capture One soon. I was deleting hundreds of RAW files to clear out all the out-of-focus photos to free up space and it kept freezing. A quick Google search revealed many others having the same issue. It's not the most stable application, and combined with the way it handles brown tones from the K3-3, I think it's time to give something else a try.

Is DXO PhotoLab a complete editor/replacement for lightroom?
03-23-2023, 05:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I might want to try something other than Capture One soon. I was deleting hundreds of RAW files to clear out all the out-of-focus photos to free up space and it kept freezing. A quick Google search revealed many others having the same issue. It's not the most stable application, and combined with the way it handles brown tones from the K3-3, I think it's time to give something else a try.

Is DXO PhotoLab a complete editor/replacement for lightroom?
All I can say is give it a try. You can get a free 30 day trial and decide for yourself before you buy. PhotoLab has the best lens profiles of any of the Raw development software on the market and also the best noise reduction. It is not strong on database management but has some excellent editing and processing features that are unique to DXO products. DXO updates PhotoLab regularly and does NOT require a monthly "rental" to continue using the program. It is buy and done and if are not buying a new camera or lens then you don't need to keep buying new programming every year. From time to time they offer some hefty discounts for a limited time. If you aren't shooting RAW then it won't be worth spending money on but if you shoot in RAW its top drawer.
05-27-2023, 12:24 AM   #12

K-3 III C1 Support

C1 V23 supports now K-3 III starting from build 16.2.1. I have installed it and looks ok. The price with MAYSALE23 coupon was 174,50 EUR (-50% from listprice 349 EUR). It took over two years from Phase One....