Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2023, 10:43 AM   #1

Is it possible to move the AF point with a non AF lens?

Hi all,

accordingly the K3iii ebook it seem it is. Mr Adam is saying so, at least here

Master your Pentax K-3 Mark III with the Pentax K-3 III eBook - PentaxForums.com

So I would like an help from the K3iii owner because I am not able. With manual lenses (Pentax-A, Pentax-M , Pentax-K, Samyang non AF lens such as 10mm f2.8) the focus point is just the very center one and I cannot switch it to something else but SPOT. The joystick does not have any impact and the focus point does not move. If I mount an AF lens and i switch it to manual focus (i.e. smc da * 55 f1.4) works fine ! The AF goes everywere under the joystick control.

The e-book is saying :

4.5.1 Focus Confirmation
When working in manual focus mode, the viewfinder can help with manual focus. the PDAF engine still
operates, even if the lens is not driven. As such, when accurate focus is achieved, the focus point will light up
as it would when using AF. This helpful tool makes manual focus simpler.
One new feature of the K-3 III is that the focus point can be moved around the frame, whereas with previous
models, only the center point was usable.

but damn! With my k3iii this works only with AF lenses used as they were manual. Could you please mount an A lens (or M or whatever) and double check if you can move the AF point ?

Thanks a lot

Danilo

03-16-2023, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-3 Mark III, firmware v1.80.

I just mounted a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 lens.

With this lens, the focus point cannot be moved regardless of whether the camera focus switch is set to AF or MF. When I press the camera's AF Mode button, the rear monitor displays the message "This function is not available in the current mode."

The Operating Manual for the K-3 Mark III gives a table on page 116: Functions Available with Various Lenses.

The manual indicates that the AF Active Area [Auto Area] function is not available for lenses in the A, M, or K series. A sub-note states that the AF Area is "fixed to [SPOT]".

Edit. Before mounting the Pentax-M 50/1.4, the camera was mounted with a DA* 50-135mm lens. The AF Active Area had been set to SEL S (select single point). With the camera turned off, I unmounted the 50-135, then mounted the M 50/1.4.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-16-2023 at 11:32 AM.
03-16-2023, 11:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. This confirm I am right or... my camera is defective like yours
03-16-2023, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
Maybe. LOL.

I'm interested in hearing any clarification to the question -- the other thread seems to suggest that it's possible to move the AF point when a manual focus lens (i.e., A, M, or K series) is mounted, but there might be confusion over nomenclature, i.e., using an AF lens in MF mode.

- Craig

03-16-2023, 12:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe @Adam can confirm if it's possible.
03-16-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You cannot change away from centre focus only with older (non- AF) lenses.

Been that way since the first Pentax DSLR.

Edit....perhaps this is only for pre K3 III models. (I don't have one so cannot check)
03-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #7

Hello,
I'm using the v1.70 and I just tried with a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 lens.
I have the same issue as you.
More than that, my camera was set to ask for the focal length on boot and it didn't asked for it. There was a weird "trembling" noise on boot too.

03-16-2023, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Maybe. LOL.

I'm interested in hearing any clarification to the question -- the other thread seems to suggest that it's possible to move the AF point when a manual focus lens (i.e., A, M, or K series) is mounted, but there might be confusion over nomenclature, i.e., using an AF lens in MF mode.

- Craig
Yeah Craig , set aside my poor english I also think the e-book wanted to say that: using an AF lens in MF mode. What was confused me was the certainty with which the opposite was said. Anyway, thanks mate you help me confirming I am not drunk, still have to drink a sip of Amaro Insolito by Fragrante (not easy to find out of Italy but, just in case...)

Danilo
03-16-2023, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a quick video showing that it's possible. I think the main caveat is that the camera needs to be in expanded area AF first, rather than the normal select modes. Also, I don't know if it was "fixed" in future FW versions, as this camera has v1.10.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Advance Quote
Hello,
I'm using the v1.70 and I just tried with a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 lens.
I have the same issue as you.
More than that, my camera was set to ask for the focal length on boot and it didn't asked for it. There was a weird "trembling" noise on boot too.
It happened to me as well: sometimes it did not ask the focal lenght. I supposed it was because the SR was off, since the focal lenght is required to optimize the SR system, but no it's not that. It's umpredictable.
The noise ? Same here, sometime it is a quick "ZZZZT!" sometimes lasts a little bit more. We in Italy have a joke and the "pentaxiani" says shaking a Pentax reflex give a noise of screws and bolts

Danilo
03-16-2023, 01:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Advance Quote
There was a weird "trembling" noise on boot too.
If you have your camera set to do sensor cleaning on startup, it could be that. It's shaking the sensor to shake dust off.
03-16-2023, 01:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a quick video showing that it's possible. I think the main caveat is that the camera needs to be in expanded area AF first, rather than the normal select modes. Also, I don't know if it was "fixed" in future FW versions, as this camera has v1.10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNW0ug0e8mI
uhmmmm.... seem a firmware bug rather then a feature but wait !!! If this works and the camera really focus on the selected point .... DO NOT TELL IT TO PENTAX !!!

I'm jocking but I have checked:. as soon as I start to de-mount the AF lens the AF shows SPOT, it does not remain in AF expanded mode. Firmware version 1.70

So I tend to think it was a firmware bug later on fixed. Just curious , does the focusing REALLY works?

Danilo

---------- Post added 03-16-23 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
If you have your camera set to do sensor cleaning on startup, it could be that. It's shaking the sensor to shake dust off.
not sure this camera has a mechanical dust removal system. At least if you submit the dust removal by menu, absolute no noise is heard

Danilo
03-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
The noise doesn't happen with other lenses.
It might be because it's a M one (lack of the aperture?). It'll need more tests.
04-03-2023, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So I tend to think it was a firmware bug later on fixed. Just curious , does the focusing REALLY works?
Seems like it indeed. When I tested that feature while writing the ebook, I confirmed that it worked, like we see on the linked video. I just re-checked with firmware 1.80, and with an AF lens set to MF, you can move the point, but with a purely manual lens you can't. Darn, I'll update that in the ebook.

not sure this camera has a mechanical dust removal system. At least if you submit the dust removal by menu, absolute no noise is heard
It has an ultrasonic dust removal system indeed. Much better than what some of the competition (i.e. Sony) uses. Crazy, considering how mirrorless sucks in dust.
04-17-2023, 02:18 PM   #15

Had the same confusion after reading the e-book and think it would be a great feature - especially when using something like my 50mm 1.2 - which has such a shallow depth of field! I feel like pointing then recomposing adds a risk of losing focus since you have so little room to spare.

Wonder if it is possible and we might see it in a future release???