Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2023, 12:49 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Autofocus description standardization

One thing that has bothered me for quite a while is the lack of standardization of the descriptive terms used when posting about Pentax Autofocus issues in the Forum. The terms are all over the the map and sometimes it is very difficult to follow what some are talking about. I would like to propose that we all use the the terms that are posted in the individual model manuals for each specific camera model. For instance the K-3 Mk III manual on pages 60 and 61 under the AF Active Area (AF Point) heading gives eight AF point selections ranging from Auto Area to Spot which have specific descriptions of their functions for focusing with the Viewfinder. Specifically there are Auto Area, Zone Select, Select, Expanded Area AF (S), Expanded Area AF (M), Expanded Area AF (L) Select (S), Spot and the newly introduced Select (XS) setting introduce in firmware 1.70.

So please when discussing Auto focus issues refer to the specific model Manual when posting with reference to Viewfinder Autofocus settings so we all can be be on the same page.

What is your opinion?

03-20-2023, 01:11 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good luck with that.
03-20-2023, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Good luck with that.
Well, it was worth bringing it up.
03-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well, it was worth bringing it up.
While I understand your reasoning and it does make sense, there are going to be new users and also experienced users who are not aware of the "manual" terminology.

At the end of the day if someone asks a question on these forums we run with it.

03-20-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It may be difficult as it may not be a direct translation if user use a manual in a different language or if camera is set to a different language than English.

So maybe it is best if everyone always write in their native language.
03-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So please when discussing Auto focus issues refer to the specific model Manual when posting with reference to Viewfinder Autofocus settings so we all can be be on the same page.
What is your opinion?
Haha … on the same page … very good
Seriously though, I agree in principle, but as pointed out, not everyone is using exactly the same version (language) of the manual, so it's never going to be a perfect answer.
Well worth a try
03-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

And some of us have purchased kit second-hand, with nary a manual in sight ! Mayhap use the references contained in the superb e-books for Pentax equipment as a starting point ?

T

03-20-2023, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
While I understand your reasoning and it does make sense, there are going to be new users and also experienced users who are not aware of the "manual" terminology.

At the end of the day if someone asks a question on these forums we run with it.
Thanks for the comment, Peter

I understand that, there will always be some who are totally oblivious to the manual and the definitions and terminology contained in the manual. I was hoping that some will read the manual more thoroughly and try to use proper terminology when asking or answering questions. knowing what I know that is probably an unrealistic hope.

Maybe if the person attempting to answer the question would use the proper terminology there would by be a better understanding by the person asking the question or maybe not.
03-20-2023, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
And some of us have purchased kit second-hand, with nary a manual in sight ! Mayhap use the references contained in the superb e-books for Pentax equipment as a starting point ?

T
Yep that would work too but Cheapskates might not want to pay the "exorbitant" price for the
e-book. Here you go. it took me about 10 seconds to find a K-3 Mk III manual online and download said manual. I'm sure it can be obtained in other languages so there you go. The I have no manual excuse doesn't hold water.

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-20-2023 at 06:13 PM.
03-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It may be difficult as it may not be a direct translation if user use a manual in a different language or if camera is set to a different language than English.

So maybe it is best if everyone always write in their native language.
Good luck getting an answer if you ask the question in your native language.
03-20-2023, 07:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Haha … on the same page … very good
Seriously though, I agree in principle, but as pointed out, not everyone is using exactly the same version (language) of the manual, so it's never going to be a perfect answer.
Well worth a try
I've scanned through ten different language versions of the K-3 Mk III manual and the information I referred to is actually on those two pages 60, 61. So actually one would be on the same pages as I've referenced.
03-20-2023, 11:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But referring to the manual (in whichever language) might supply the answer an enquirer is looking for anyway, thus depriving the forum of another absorbing challenge working out what the problem actually is.

Spoilsport!!
03-21-2023, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
But referring to the manual (in whichever language) might supply the answer an enquirer is looking for anyway, thus depriving the forum of another absorbing challenge working out what the problem actually is.

Spoilsport!!
Sorry about that, but you have completely missed my point in all of this. I'm not say that the manual should provide the answers to every question. I'm saying that the manual supplies the terms for a common understanding of the issue the questioner is having and a common understanding of the brilliant solutions that are being proposed by various members, nothing more.
03-21-2023, 03:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Even the camera doesn't describe them that way Perhaps what we need are smilies that match what's displayed on the camera...