Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2023, 08:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheSwede Quote
What we can do? Well, now that I know that this was not only my copy and that the service workshop, talked to them today, will put a new top on the camera at no charge, warranty, I will protect the top with some kind of cover when it gets back.
Because of this, I've been searching for a silicone case, just like there are for other brands, but I have not had luck finding one. My camera is peeling from the top too, and I do take very good care of my gear. None of my old cameras, K-x, K-5, K-5 IIs, and K3 had this problem, even though I used them for years, and this one is a little bit over a year and is already peeling, very frustrating situation.

03-28-2023, 12:26 AM   #17

I think these, non plastic, painted cameras are all like this. I had a K3 what i got nearly for free it was that cheap (around 100 USD). It looked out like Arnold Scwarzenegger at the ending sequence of any Terminator movie. At first i wanted to repaint it but at the end i wasn't. However...It worked flawlessly.
Before that, i had a K5 which i bought in mint condition. I placed it once on a rock surface very carefully and boom....it got a tiny paint chip from that only.
04-11-2023, 03:25 AM   #18

Same issue. K200d, K5, K3 weren't so delicate.
04-11-2023, 05:38 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fri98 Quote
Because of this, I've been searching for a silicone case, just like there are for other brands, but I have not had luck finding one. My camera is peeling from the top too, and I do take very good care of my gear. None of my old cameras, K-x, K-5, K-5 IIs, and K3 had this problem, even though I used them for years, and this one is a little bit over a year and is already peeling, very frustrating situation.
This paint loss from the Mk III top plate is most likely due to the less durable environmentally friendly coatings that Pentax is having to use and the "hard" edges on the Mk III top plate. Not a lot that can be done about either, in my opinion. The next K-3 iteration will probably have more radiused edges on the top plate, but that is years away.

04-11-2023, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
This paint loss from the Mk III top plate is most likely due to the less durable environmentally friendly coatings that Pentax is having to use and the "hard" edges on the Mk III top plate. Not a lot that can be done about either, in my opinion. The next K-3 iteration will probably have more radiused edges on the top plate, but that is years away.
I just ordered a vinyl roll from Amazon to try and make a custom skin. Let's see how I can work it out, I'll post a photo once it's done, it is supposed to arrive today. The only thing I don't know is how to make it look fine without blocking the button's markings (functions symbology).
04-12-2023, 06:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fri98 Quote
I just ordered a vinyl roll from Amazon to try and make a custom skin. Let's see how I can work it out, I'll post a photo once it's done, it is supposed to arrive today. The only thing I don't know is how to make it look fine without blocking the button's markings (functions symbology).
Good luck with that.
04-12-2023, 07:27 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good luck with that.
I think that your comments in this thread is of no use to anyone. The first where you state that yours also has paint wear yes, but the rest I find negative and without adding to the solution. If you want a worn camera then that is up to you, I do not care either way. But the question was if my copy was the only one and now we know that it was not the only one. To me this is a problem to be solved. There is of course paint that will not wear of as easily, they should use that instead or whatever... There is no need for comments of the kind you have written.

Last edited by TheSwede; 04-12-2023 at 07:35 AM.
04-12-2023, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Paint wear, off the surface of a well used camera used to be a mark of a busy, pro photographer. I've seen photos of cameras where the paint was rubbed off significantly and the brass was quite apparent.

I don't worry about. I've have good cameras that I've had for over 50 years...and some have a small dent here , leatherette peeling off, etc...but they still work just fine after providing many years of service.

Affecting value...don't think this is an issue. Most buyers of second hand cameras want to know what the shutter count is....and as much of a Pentaxian as I am, I don't consider any of my digital Pentaxes in the same collector category as a 1920's rangefinder Leica.

As long as the camera works well, that is my concern. I wouldn't worry about minor cosmetic issues.
04-12-2023, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Paint wear, off the surface of a well used camera used to be a mark of a busy, pro photographer.
I don't want to pretend I am a busy pro photographer. I do have a friend (collects Nikon F-series SLRs) who likes brassing, not because he pretends to be a pro but because he believes the camera must have had some history, might have been in a paperazzi scrum around Princess Diana or something - fair enough but it means nothing to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Affecting value...don't think this is an issue. Most buyers of second hand cameras want to know what the shutter count is....
I have sold a few cameras (analogue and digital) and no-one has ever asked me what the shutter count was. As for myself, scrolling down the pictures on Ebay does not tell me the shutter count, and I won't bother to ask if the camera looks worn (and certainly not if it looks battered). I would only look for or ask about the shutter count if the pictures looked OK first.

Knowing how badly some people treat their stuff leaving both visible and invisible scars, I don't buy anything used unless it is in very good cosmetic condition, and preferably still with its box - it will have had a careful owner and therefore less likely to have invisible damage too.
04-12-2023, 03:08 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I don't want to pretend I am a busy pro photographer. I do have a friend (collects Nikon F-series SLRs) who likes brassing, not because he pretends to be a pro but because he believes the camera must have had some history, might have been in a paperazzi scrum around Princess Diana or something - fair enough but it means nothing to me.

I have sold a few cameras (analogue and digital) and no-one has ever asked me what the shutter count was. As for myself, scrolling down the pictures on Ebay does not tell me the shutter count, and I won't bother to ask if the camera looks worn (and certainly not if it looks battered). I would only look for or ask about the shutter count if the pictures looked OK first.

Knowing how badly some people treat their stuff leaving both visible and invisible scars, I don't buy anything used unless it is in very good cosmetic condition, and preferably still with its box - it will have had a careful owner and therefore less likely to have invisible damage too.
I have only bought used camera equipment a few times. One was a '51 Leica 11f rangefinder with a 50mm Elmar collapsible F 3.5 lens. I bought it from a local camera store that had been in business since 1897, very knowledgeable, trustworthy shop...also was a Leica dealer. I was able to take it out for an hour or so, ran a roll of 36 through it, got the film developed and prints made...fast at a large grocery store. I checked out the shutter speeds, F stops...shot subjects that I could assess sharpness. It performed very well. Pics were great.

It wasn't perfect cosmetically, but I did want a Leica Rangefinder for a reasonable price.

I bought it, that was in 1982...and it still works well.

The other I bought a couple of years ago for my small collection. I've only run a couple of rolls through it. It is a Canon F-1, has a Canon 50mm lens. It has one small dent in the top. Other than that it appears to be a camera that was used very sparingly and aside from that dent...would of been very good condition.

Aside from these two cameras, I generally buy new equipment. I'm fortunate to be able to do so, and I would rather do things this way. My preference, etc.

I did buy a couple of used Mamiya Sekor TLR lenses...a 65 mm wide angle and a 180mm telephoto...for my Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR. Again I was able to test them before purchase and they performed well. I've had them since about 1986, they continue to work well, although I'm not shooting anywhere near as much film as I used too. Very rarely at this point. Digital has been my main focus since 2006.
04-12-2023, 03:47 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just finished my first try, not the best looking now, but at least no more markings for now. I will re-skin it with more time and effort, as I did it kinda fast and with the tools I had at the moment. Here are the pictures of my first attempt.

I now know I need a better knife, a good squeegee, and a lot mor of patience and planning.

I just shot 5 photos and realized 2 of them where not in focus, sorry for that.

04-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OM System (nee Olympus) OM-1 users are also reporting paint wear... hopefully this is not a burgeoning trend in expensive cameras!
04-21-2023, 07:30 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
OM System (nee Olympus) OM-1 users are also reporting paint wear... hopefully this is not a burgeoning trend in expensive cameras!
Where the Mk III paint is wearing is along the edges of the top plate because of the lack of a radius on the corners and probably a different paint formulation due to environmental mandates. An examination of the top plate of the MK III compared to the Mk I top plate it is readily apparent where the wear problems are. Those who complain to Pentax over a bit cosmetic paint wear will soon realize that the replacement camera or the repaired camera will soon wear in the same places that the old one wore.
04-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Where the Mk III paint is wearing is along the edges of the top plate because of the lack of a radius on the corners and probably a different paint formulation due to environmental mandates. An examination of the top plate of the MK III compared to the Mk I top plate it is readily apparent where the wear problems are. Those who complain to Pentax over a bit cosmetic paint wear will soon realize that the replacement camera or the repaired camera will soon wear in the same places that the old one wore.
If you know it will wear you can do something to prevent the wear. Putting some protective skin over and you are protected. Easy peacy. Then I can sell it as used carefully whenever I want.
04-22-2023, 03:54 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheSwede Quote
If you know it will wear you can do something to prevent the wear. Putting some protective skin over and you are protected. Easy peacy. Then I can sell it as used carefully whenever I want.
That's why I tried to make my own skin, but in the end I hated it, so I took it off and was trying to do it again, but this time making precise drawings to correctly cut the vinyl so it fits perfectly, sadly it resulted harder than I thought (I'm an accountant, not an engineer) so I ended using a sharpie to cover the paint chips, and voilá, it worked way better and without all the hassle.

Yes, it's still unprotected, but at least it doesn't look like a Frankenstein camera anymore (for reference see my previous post with the pictures of my failed attempt), and just hope that in the future someone will make a proper skin/case for this model.

Here are the samples, the before and the after using a sharpie. Nex time I will use car paint as the one you can buy from a dealership.

Before
Before top
Before bottom
Before bottom 2

After
After top
after bottom
After bottom 2

Last edited by fri98; 04-22-2023 at 05:25 PM.