Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2023, 09:27 AM   #1

Noise reduction in camera or not

On previous cameras i understood that noise reduction should be done in post processing. But on the K3 iii should I allow NR in camera? I'm tending to trust most other things with this fabulous new camera.

03-30-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If I remember correctly, in-camera noise reduction is used if you shoot JPEG photos.
In RAW, you may see no difference.

Then, another point is the software you use to edit your photos: many software give incredible results when removing noise (especially the new IA based ones.)
I doubd that in-camera software can give such results.
03-30-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidxgreen Quote
On previous cameras i understood that noise reduction should be done in post processing. But on the K3 iii should I allow NR in camera? I'm tending to trust most other things with this fabulous new camera.
You are always going to get better results (depending on image) by using software rather than camera to do post processing.

But if you are referring to long exposure NR in-camera by Dark Frame Subtraction, this can only be done in-camera. Whether it makes a difference can only be decided by you by experimenting.
03-30-2023, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

For initial tests, try saving the images as RAW+JPG, then you'll have a good idea of what the camera is capable of and also have the option to take the RAW into software for extra work if necessary.
After not too long you'll be able to decide whether to trust the camera

03-30-2023, 03:02 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already got some good advice.

I would re-state that noise reduction is best done during post-processing on computer, not in camera.

I use both Noiseware and DCU for noise reduction. Typically I use DCU for fast simple noise reduction. But I prefer the results of Noiseware, and I found Noiseware more pleasing/efficient when there are strong noises.

Furthermore, I shot a lot with high-speed continuous shooting. I always to minimise any in-camera PP to speed up the write-up on the card and free the buffer.

I hope that the comment may help.
03-30-2023, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
For initial tests, try saving the images as RAW+JPG, then you'll have a good idea of what the camera is capable of and also have the option to take the RAW into software for extra work if necessary.
After not too long you'll be able to decide whether to trust the camera
You can also manually take dark frames and subtract them in post.
03-30-2023, 11:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch. Pretty much what I thought but as kypfer suggests I can certainly have a play with it in RAW+jpeg. I thought the NR would impact the RAW file just like the white balance does. e.g. it's RAW but with the right white balance it saves time in post, already doing a lot of the work.Thanks again

03-30-2023, 11:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The accelerator chip does some noise reduction that can’t be turned off and is baked into raw.
03-30-2023, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #9

I am using Topaz Denoise AI and I think it does a great job. I have never reached that level using in camera NR in any Pentax camera I had. As far as me and Unclevania knows raw files has some NR "baked in" and you cannot do without One of the thing I would really really like to see in one of the next firmware upgrade, rather then another seasonal-single-lens-profile, is a menu option that can let the user decide whether the raw NR is ON or OFF, just like what has been done for JPG.
I don't know if this technically possible, I'd say yes but...
03-31-2023, 03:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can not understand, why allways people want to switch of the noice reduction of the accelerator chip.
What do you think is happening on the sensor itself? There is allways a noise reduction built into the hardware. Else you would not get ISO 1.600 without nearly no dark noise and the reduce noise level we now appreciate. And now it is bad because Ricoh decided that an additional hardware NR would be a good thing and placed it into the accelerator chip.

If one wants to do with as less hardware NR as possible, I suggest to buy a K-20D or a istD*, use it with ISO 800 and then do the NR reduction in post. Have fun!

By the way, what do you think the accelerator unit in the K-70 is doing? No one ever complained about that one. Every one praises it's low light performance.
Here is the answer: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-70/feature/02.html
Oops, the KP has an accelerator unit as well. Might someone check the K-3iii?

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 03-31-2023 at 03:09 AM.
03-31-2023, 03:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidxgreen Quote
Thanks a bunch. Pretty much what I thought but as kypfer suggests I can certainly have a play with it in RAW+jpeg. I thought the NR would impact the RAW file just like the white balance does. e.g. it's RAW but with the right white balance it saves time in post, already doing a lot of the work.Thanks again
White balance estimates of the camera are just recorded as metadata in the raw file, it is not affecting the raw values. The baked-in noise reduction does, but can't be influenced by settings other than choosing a high ISO vs. pushing 'exposure' in post anyway. What's changeable are 'High ISO Noise Reduction' (or such in the menu), which will only affect the JPEG file and 'Long exposure noise reduction', which uses an automated dark frame subtraction and thus does impact the raw data. That saves overhead compared to taking dark frames manually and subtracting them later.

I usually enable high ISO noise reduction only if I want to use the JPEG, but have long exposure NR on auto most of the time - off for stitched panoramas and astro photos, for which I handle darks manually.
03-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
If one wants to do with as less hardware NR as possible, I suggest to buy a K-20D or a istD*, use it with ISO 800 and then do the NR reduction in post. Have fun!

what problem do YOU have in having a default voice in the menu you can pass by and leave other people in the peace with what they want? Thanks for the suggestion that is ... not too polite unless you'd like to read what you agree about, only and solely.

Since this thread has a quite clear title I think you better not say other people what they should or should not say about the topic, at least "it sounds" like this

peace and love

Danilo

---------- Post added 03-31-23 at 08:30 AM ----------

Might someone check the K-3iii?
Yes I have it and I previously had K200D, K5, Kp, K3. I am not sure, though, whether you're interested in a sincere opinion from myself or not...
03-31-2023, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote

what problem do YOU have in having a default voice in the menu you can pass by and leave other people in the peace with what they want? Thanks for the suggestion that is ... not too polite unless you'd like to read what you agree about, only and solely.

Since this thread has a quite clear title I think you better not say other people what they should or should not say about the topic, at least "it sounds" like this

peace and love

Danilo

---------- Post added 03-31-23 at 08:30 AM ----------

Yes I have it and I previously had K200D, K5, Kp, K3. I am not sure, though, whether you're interested in a sincere opinion from myself or not...
I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to be rude or insulting, nor is anyone out to get you. Relax a bit, enjoy the advice and insights.

Some forums are not all that friendly and personal attacks might be the expectation. We aren't that kind of forum.

We're looking forward to your posting of your experience with whatever camera you decide on.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-31-2023 at 09:56 AM.
03-31-2023, 01:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I can not understand, why allways people want to switch of the noice reduction of the accelerator chip.
What do you think is happening on the sensor itself? There is allways a noise reduction built into the hardware. Else you would not get ISO 1.600 without nearly no dark noise and the reduce noise level we now appreciate. And now it is bad because Ricoh decided that an additional hardware NR would be a good thing and placed it into the accelerator chip.

By the way, what do you think the accelerator unit in the K-70 is doing? No one ever complained about that one. Every one praises it's low light performance.
Here is the answer: Features2 | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
Oops, the KP has an accelerator unit as well. Might someone check the K-3iii?
This would depend on whether someone is shooting and processing Jpegs since with the exception of Long exposure noise reduction in camera raw is not effected by using those settings. Even then with jpeg it is more advantageous to do noise reduction work via post processing software as one has more control over manipulating how noise reduction is being applied. However if one doesn't like post processing then the option is there for the use.

To me a cameras low light performance capabilities are best controlled by using the cameras exposure settings and lens combination not necessarily the use of in camera noise processing.
03-31-2023, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I have no problem using the in camera noise reduction as it does a pretty good job. Now if I'm photographing something really important or want a large print then I will turn to post processing but I don't feel the need to to that for every photo I take. I do customize the noise reduction setting in the camera to my liking.