Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2023, 05:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Advice

I'm coming back full time to Pentax cameras. I have the K01 and the Q. My original K5 was stolen years ago. I'm moving to Florida and I want a bigger camera that my Ricoh GR3. So here I am, thinking between a K3 III or a K1 II. I take pictures of my family in every situation, beaches and sometimes Streets. Moving to Florida implies that I need to buy a weather sealed camera. I want to invest in a good lens too, so please help me decide here. Thanks

04-30-2023, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pedroin Quote
I'm coming back full time to Pentax cameras. I have the K01 and the Q. My original K5 was stolen years ago. I'm moving to Florida and I want a bigger camera that my Ricoh GR3. So here I am, thinking between a K3 III or a K1 II. I take pictures of my family in every situation, beaches and sometimes Streets. Moving to Florida implies that I need to buy a weather sealed camera. I want to invest in a good lens too, so please help me decide here. Thanks
My advice is to always buy the most technologically advanced camera you can afford, that would be the K-3iii in this instance. There could be an exception in that if you think you must have full frame, but that doesn’t sound to be the case.

There are a lot of good lenses, it helps knowing what the intentions are for the lens. My three most used lenses are the DA20-40, the DA*300, and the DA55-300 PLM, all indispensable to me. But a clue as you intended uses will help with recommendations.
04-30-2023, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My primary combination on my K3iii is the 16-85mm and the 55-300mm PLM. Occasionally I'll mount the 20-40mm Ltd. or the the 18-135mm for one-lens travel. Pentax has the mid level segment pretty well covered with WR lenses. Beware of catching the Limited bug; I did, and ended up with most of the DA Limiteds.
Welcome back to Pentax!
04-30-2023, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd agree with ramseybuckeye. While the K1 and K1ii are excellent cameras, the K3iii has the newest tech.

Just to throw this out, If you can't do it with the K3iii , you can't do it.

In the end crop size doesn't really matter unless you print REALLY big. Most people couldn't tell the difference between crop sensor, full frame or medium format.

There is a very good selection of quality lenses that compliment the K3iii.

I shoot with an K1 and have yet to find anything it's not capable of, The K3iii would be more so.

04-30-2023, 07:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP is the most advanced model I own and I use a different ff brand. So I can’t compare directly, but I tend to agree that the k-3iii is more advanced right now.

The key to me is what you plan to do with the gear. Family shots can be done with anything - even a phone. What type of family shots, how do you want to use them, what other photography is expected?

From my own experience, The KP Plus the DA 20-40 WR and a 55-300 PLM is a nice lightweight combo. The k3iii works with both of those lenses well from what I read. The DA* 16-50 PLM (not SDM, that’s the older lens) is a stunning albeit heavy and bulky lens by all accounts.

There are a lot of choices…
04-30-2023, 08:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

First question: How much gear do you want to carry around, in quantity, volume, and weight? In my own example, though I own the K-1 Full Frame and the APS-C K-5 and the KP, I prefer using the lighter weight APS-C cameras when I'm going to be doing something else, but want to have a DSLR readily at hand. In those instances, my lens will probably be the 18-135 WR for it's price, range of focal length, light weight, and weather sealing, but primarily because this lens satisfies very highly in the those areas, it delivers great images!

On full frame to satisfy similar requirements, I use the K-1 and the DFA 28-105mm .

Second question: Are you the type who doesn't want to stop and change lenses every minute depending on the situtation? In my case, unless I have a planned photo shoot in mind, I want to have some options. The above combos meet my needs again.

Third question: Am I willing to stick to a prime lens, and change my position relative to the subject, or do I want a zoom for flexibility?
I own several zoom lenses, they make me lazy at times but since a lot of my photography is tend towards opportunities for imagery while I'm doing something else, zooms are what I use the most.

Fourth question: Am I more likely to have time to really devote to making images?
In this case, I am likely to use my KP and the DA 16-85 zoom WR combo, or the KP and DA 40 XS, or DA 21mm LTD.

On Full Frame, unless I need a long telephoto or a fish eye, I often use the K-1 with DFA 24-70 WR zoom, or with my Sigma 50mm or FA 77mm. though these two primes are not WR, the image quality they enable is fantastic. The quality of the FA 77mm has kept me from buying the newer DFA 85mm WR at nearly three times the price.

I look forward to seeing your images!
04-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd say look carefully at your use-cases. I have a feeling the K3III would be the right body for you, with the only caveat that with the K1II that the majority of the historic range of Pentax lenses will be native to the format at least. As for what lenses, if I were you I'd use one of those apps that analyze your images in toto to see the focal length patterns of use, then buy accordingly.

04-30-2023, 01:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We've been living in Orlando for 28 years. So some Florida thoughts other than the outstanding advice already given. It's not a case of "if" your stuff is going to get wet, it's a matter of "how wet is your stuff going to get?"

It gets hot and humid here (duh!) give good consideration to the strap you use. During most of the year you're going to be sweating and that strap is either going to be your friend or your hot scratchy enemy! Also if you have lenses that don't have hoods, it's worth picking one up. It's really bright here...

Buy top of the line sensor cleaning equipment. Pentax gel pen and high quality swabs. If you're changing lenses outside with any frequency, crud is going to get in there no matter how careful you are.

And I have a "beater" for anytime I'm around the beach. An old K-50 with a dead solenoid. I just shoot manual anyway, often on old lenses so it doesn't matter. Being from Lima I'm sure you're well aware of the challenges of using nice equipment on a beach!

BTW I'm a K1-II user, but to the point others make, you're not going to go wrong either way.

Hope this helps!
04-30-2023, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Wow guys, thank you for your tips.Amazing combos!!! I'm more of a 28 mm kind of person. I print family pictures for my home and I like to give an annual book as a christmas present for my relatives. My children surf, so I need a zoom. That 18-135 is a perfect lens I think.
I'm no the kind of guy that sit everybody and take pics of them in a pose situation. ...more of the candid shot, that silent moment and a documentary style.
I love my Ricoh GR3...but sometimes I want a bag with a dsrl and a couple of lenses for different situations. Central Florida is gonna give me plenty of opportunities: Beaches and rockets, parks and people, and the typical florida colors.

BTW excuse my English. I live in Peru, so Spanish is my main language.
04-30-2023, 02:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow guys, thank you for your tips.Amazing combos!!! I'm more of a 28 mm kind of person. I print family pictures for my home and I like to give an annual book as a christmas present for my relatives. My children surf, so I need a zoom. That 18-135 is a perfect lens I think.
I'm no the kind of guy that sit everybody and take pics of them in a pose situation. ...more of the candid shot, that silent moment and a documentary style.
I love my Ricoh GR3...but sometimes I want a bag with a dsrl and a couple of lenses for different situations. Central Florida is gonna give me plenty of opportunities: Beaches and rockets, parks and people, and the typical florida colors.

You are fine with English! The U.S. folks like me are the problem---very poor language instruction here in the U.S., with open hostility to "foreign" languages in lots of places. Good luck in Florida...

I used to be a 28mm kind of guy as well, less so these days. So I recommend the FA 31 limited if you go with the K1II. If with the K3III, then the DA 21 limited---which also gives you the quirky Pentax 31 focal length(effective).
04-30-2023, 02:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoelA Quote
We've been living in Orlando for 28 years. So some Florida thoughts other than the outstanding advice already given. It's not a case of "if" your stuff is going to get wet, it's a matter of "how wet is your stuff going to get?"

It gets hot and humid here (duh!) give good consideration to the strap you use. During most of the year you're going to be sweating and that strap is either going to be your friend or your hot scratchy enemy! Also if you have lenses that don't have hoods, it's worth picking one up. It's really bright here...

Buy top of the line sensor cleaning equipment. Pentax gel pen and high quality swabs. If you're changing lenses outside with any frequency, crud is going to get in there no matter how careful you are.

And I have a "beater" for anytime I'm around the beach. An old K-50 with a dead solenoid. I just shoot manual anyway, often on old lenses so it doesn't matter. Being from Lima I'm sure you're well aware of the challenges of using nice equipment on a beach!

BTW I'm a K1-II user, but to the point others make, you're not going to go wrong either way.

Hope this helps!
This is pure gold. Thank you for your advice. I'm gonna check for a good strap...and that's a good idea for a second camera only for the beach.
04-30-2023, 02:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The combo I would suggest for casual surfing pics and family shots would be the 18-135 plus 150-450 on two bodies or - a lot less pricey - the 55-300 PLM plus either the 18-135 or 16-85 on a single body swapping as needed.
04-30-2023, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The combo I would suggest for casual surfing pics and family shots would be the 18-135 plus 150-450 on two bodies or - a lot less pricey - the 55-300 PLM plus either the 18-135 or 16-85 on a single body swapping as needed.
Dont forget the option of combining a 1.4 TC Convertor in the mix. I find it great with the 55-300 PLM.
04-30-2023, 03:28 PM   #14

Original Poster
Seriously guys....BIG THANKS.....After my K5 was stolen many years ago, I bought second hands cameras...mostly from friends. Sonys, Lumix and Fujis...everybody praise them...Pentax seemed relegated... But I always felt connected to Pentax. A friend of mine was trying to sell me his Fuji XT 3 and his selling point was the chrome simulation. At the end, I use RAW so, who cares about the simulation right?... (only when I enter in my Daido Moriyama mode with the Ricoh gr3 hahaha).
anyways, my point is that Pentax is that kind of brand that you never forget so I'm selling my Fujis and Lumix and saving for these amazing suggestions that you guys gave me.
Cheers!!!
04-30-2023, 05:19 PM   #15

I agree with allanmh…. I would go with the K-3 III with the DA 18-135 and the DA 55-300. In my travel kit, I also throw in the DA 10-17 fisheye for taking ultra-wide shots like inside churches. The whole setup is pretty lightweight.

I also own the DA 16-85, but prefer the 18-135 for air travel because it is smaller and lighter. For candid shots, the 18-135 will attract less attention.

I own the K-1, but the K-3 comes awfully close on image quality—just lower resolution. If I am shooting with the K-1, I use the DFA 28-105 and carry the FA 20/2.8 for ultra-wide shots.