Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2023, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
'smart function' button, again it is on top of the camera lower right hand corner about 1.5 CM in diameter. It just looks like I need a new one snapped on.
If the small plastic cap missing on the smart dial is the only damage, it's just a piece of plastic with a bit of glue, not worth $450 repair, a small DIY when back home.

I'd live with it, but it would be a constant reminder of a foolish accident.
It will remind you that you should be more careful when handling $3000 (camera+lens+tripod) in your hands, as we tend to forget how much money such gear represent. Those cameras and lenses are considered as consumer electronic devices (especially by reviewers and camera shops) , but they are not quite as cheap as consumer electronic devices. They are actually precision light metering and light recording instruments, and with that in mind, we may become much more careful with handling and storage.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-16-2023 at 03:56 AM.
05-16-2023, 05:33 AM   #17

Ricoh will not sell parts to anyone except their authorized repair centers, e.g. Precision Camera in the US. So unless you can find a 3D Printed or donor part body you don't have much choice but to send it to Precision. If you have some sort of insurance or warranty coverage that may cover some or all of the repair. Check with the CC if you used one for purchase as some card plans include warranty/insurance for consumer products such as cameras.

Weather sealing is likely compromised and a 3D printed part may not seal properly.
05-16-2023, 06:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I am currently traveling (Costa Rica) and my K3 iii got knocked over on a tripod. The camera functions fine but the little non functional know On top was lost. I went to Precision Cameras web site and I was quoted an insane $450 dollars for a repair, which is insane and highway robbery for something that seems to be only cosmetic. Is there anyway around their Monopoly blockade that I might be able to get a replacement without breaking the bank? I'd live with it, but it would be a constant reminder of a foolish accident.
This is one of the reasons that I hesitate to buy a new Ricoh/Pentax camera or lens. Another reason is that in my country there are no service centers, I have to sent my gear to either a company in Germany or France. If I would buy Canon, Nikon, Sony or Panasonic I can use the local service centers. That Precision can ask such prices is because they have a monopoly, but also that what they charge is part of the deal that Ricoh made with them. With such prices for a repair you might be better of buying new equipment instead of have it repaired.
05-16-2023, 07:07 AM - 3 Likes   #19

It's only a placeholder estimate. You won't get an actual estimate until Precision can inspect the gear. I recall people reporting aperture block repair on the their K-50s by Precision of being $150-175 USD even though the webform quoted close to twice that. One or two reported the repair was free even though past warranty.

From Nikon USA repair estimate:
The problem you reported is:

Dropped or Impact Damage

The estimated cost to repair your D500 is:
$368.50*
* This price is an estimate and is subject to change. The price does not reflect the shipping cost and taxes as required by local, state and federal governments or applicable discounts. Please note if the price quote does not change, you are accepting these service charges. Your credit card will be charged when service is completed.

When entered for Other (notes: missing knob):

We are unable to estimate the cost for the repair of your D500 product

We cannot provide you with an estimate at this time. You will need to send your product directly to our service facility in order to determine the cost to repair your product. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Precision adds this to their online estimate form:

QuoteQuote:
Ground Return Shipping - Signature Required is included in the charges above. The repair charges above apply to Out-of-Warranty repairs only, qualified In-Warranty repairs are completed at no charge. Applicable Sales Tax will be applied when your card is charged based on your state and local guidelines.
For Out-of-Warranty repairs you will be contacted with a repair estimate once your product is received and evaluated by our technicians. We will request your credit card information at that time. Your credit card will not be charged until the repair work is completed. We may however do a pre-authorization hold on the card. Units returned unrepaired for any reason, including declined estimates are subject to a diagnostic fee and return shipping. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.
So similar policy to Nikon's.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-16-2023 at 02:35 PM. Reason: wrong text pasted for missing knob
05-16-2023, 07:24 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you mean the AE-L button?
That's the only button "in a corner" on the right side of the camera.
05-16-2023, 08:58 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Sorry the WiFi is pretty bad here. I can't get a photo loaded. I suppose it must be the 'smart function' button, again it is on top of the camera lower right hand corner about 1.5 CM in diameter. It just looks like I need a new one snapped on.
At that size it's got to be the Smart Function Dial … if that's considered to be a "non functional knob" you're missing a lot of the customisable functionality of the camera!
05-16-2023, 09:07 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
This is one of the reasons that I hesitate to buy a new Ricoh/Pentax camera or lens. Another reason is that in my country there are no service centers, I have to sent my gear to either a company in Germany or France. If I would buy Canon, Nikon, Sony or Panasonic I can use the local service centers. That Precision can ask such prices is because they have a monopoly, but also that what they charge is part of the deal that Ricoh made with them. With such prices for a repair you might be better of buying new equipment instead of have it repaired.
They sent him an estimate with very little description of the problem from the looks of it. The OP hasn't provided enough information here to even tell anyone what is broken, it's unlikely Precision knows any more than what he's posted here. They have no idea if it's a $5.00 threaded cover or if the camera will need to be taken apart and have internal damage repaired.
The repair center isn't going to give an accurate estimate until they have the camera in their hands, so they are giving the maximum based on the lack of information they've been given.

05-16-2023, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
My friend, you just hurled yourself right off the conclusion cliff. Lets not be so quick to condemn Precision Camera. From the description by the OP there are a multitude of GUESSES by forum members as to what the problem is. Even the OP doesn't know what the function of the button or knob is so how can anyone expect Precision to give an accurate quote with a flimsy description like the OP has given? Precision gave him a "safe" estimate having not seen the camera.

@Mark Jerling's suggestion was the most logical, turn in a claim to the insurance company.
05-16-2023, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #24

*apologies to PF for hijacking image

1 - Special Function button/knob
2 - Diopter adjustment knob/dial
3 - Sync port cover!

! fairly standard part you can probably buy by the dozen from Amazon, eBay or a camera store.

Which is the knob in question? 1, 2, 3 or something else?
05-16-2023, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
*apologies to PF for hijacking image

1 - Special Function button/knob
2 - Diopter adjustment knob/dial
3 - Sync port cover!

! fairly standard part you can probably buy by the dozen from Amazon, eBay or a camera store.

Which is the knob in question? 1, 2, 3 or something else?
Based on size stated I’m guessing #1.
05-16-2023, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Based on size stated I’m guessing #1.
Except he said this: On my k1 it rotates but doesn't have a function, on the k3 I don't even think it rotates.

Whatever it is it seems to be common to all three cameras which rules out the smart function button. Don'cha love a good mystery episode?
05-16-2023, 07:25 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Except he said this: On my k1 it rotates but doesn't have a function, on the k3 I don't even think it rotates.

Whatever it is it seems to be common to all three cameras which rules out the smart function button. Don'cha love a good mystery episode?
Gator, I think he was referring to the MK III when he said K-3 as there is no equivalent knob on the top plate on a K-3 MK I. The K-1, however, has a knob in almost the same exact location as the MK III. The Special Function Knob or wheel is quite stiff on my MK III so he might have not known that the knob actually rotated plus unless he wasn't paying attention to the rear screen or the top LCD he may not have noticed the settings actually changing. My vote is for the special function wheel. But for the life of me, I can't see how he missed seeing the changes when rotating the wheel. It even changes a function even when in Green (auto) Mode.
05-16-2023, 07:47 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a KP and on my KP the function can be disabled if the function dial is set to the “dot”. Is that the case on the k-1? The k3iii knob might be very stiff as another user suggested.
05-17-2023, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #29

While we wait for the OP to confirm which knob/wheel/dial/button is in question here are the user manual pages on the Smart Function on the K-1 and K-3iii:

K-3iii

K-1

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-17-2023 at 05:32 AM.
05-24-2023, 06:54 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay I am finally back on-line. It is not a numbers 1 [IMG].
The camera had the 150-450 on it so I feel rather fortunate this was the only issue. The camera functions fine.

Glad to hear it is an estimate only. Will send it in.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/15584-stemked/albums/11700-equipment/picture146255.jpg[/IMG]

---------- Post added 05-24-2023 at 09:56 AM ----------

Try this again