Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #31
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hijack the thread but my K3-III hit the deck Monday afternoon, the neck strap pulled loose, bobbled it - hit the pavement! Landed on the very functional dial knob!

I do have an "accidental drops and spills" warranty, but they won't use Precision, so it's either use who they offer and pay nothing, which would risk voiding the remaining 7 months on the manufacturer warranty, or send it off to Precision and pay out of pocket.

Camera and lens seem to be working fine - a little crazy glue and I'm back in business - still I would like to get it bench tested though...thoughts?

(I have replaced the strap with a more "fool proof" type).

Attached Images

05-25-2023, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
Sorry to hijack the thread but my K3-III hit the deck Monday afternoon, the neck strap pulled loose, bobbled it - hit the pavement! Landed on the very functional dial knob!

I do have an "accidental drops and spills" warranty, but they won't use Precision, so it's either use who they offer and pay nothing, which would risk voiding the remaining 7 months on the manufacturer warranty, or send it off to Precision and pay out of pocket.

Camera and lens seem to be working fine - a little crazy glue and I'm back in business - still I would like to get it bench tested though...thoughts?

(I have replaced the strap with a more "fool proof" type).
Who is the warranty through? If it is Square Trade they'll send the equipment to Pentax (Precision) for repair.
has anyone deal with Square Trade add on warranty ( All State ) ? - PentaxForums.com

New Leaf apparently uses someone that can get parts. If they can get parts then they must be an Pentax/Ricoh authorized repair facility.
Does anyone have experience with New Leaf warranties? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Your self-repair with Super-Glue probably voided what remains of the manufacturers warranty.
05-25-2023, 06:32 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Who is the warranty through? If it is Square Trade they'll send the equipment to Pentax (Precision) for repair.
has anyone deal with Square Trade add on warranty ( All State ) ? - PentaxForums.com

New Leaf apparently uses someone that can get parts. If they can get parts then they must be an Pentax/Ricoh authorized repair facility.
Does anyone have experience with New Leaf warranties? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Your self-repair with Super-Glue probably voided what remains of the manufacturers warranty.
Manufacturers warranty was void at the moment of impact anyway.
05-25-2023, 07:45 AM   #34
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Well, in a way that's a relief! Now it's just a matter of getting the repair done properly.

05-25-2023, 07:49 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
As far as I understand the damaged part would not be covered but other failures would be covered that do not relate to the damage. For example: If the mainboard failed a few months later due to a component failure they’d have a hard time showing impact damage was the cause if the failure was not clearly due to physical damage.
05-25-2023, 07:51 AM   #36
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Thanks for that - it is New Leaf - following that thread, the OP had a satisfactory repair - will post my results on that thread.

---------- Post added 05-25-23 at 07:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As far as I understand the damaged part would not be covered but other failures would be covered that do not relate to the damage. For example: If the mainboard failed a few months later due to a component failure they’d have a hard time showing impact damage was the cause if the failure was not clearly due to physical damage.
I spoke to the repair shop "Adam's Electronics" in Huntington Beach, CA,; their rep said Pentax were tough to get parts from in a reasonable time frame. He had much the same opinion about non impact related failure down the road. I am going to give them a try...bound to be better than my using Super-glue!
05-25-2023, 08:01 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
I spoke to the repair shop "Adam's Electronics" in Huntington Beach, CA,; their rep said Pentax were tough to get parts from in a reasonable time frame. He had much the same opinion about non impact related failure down the road. I am going to give them a try...bound to be better than my using Super-glue!
Super glue is very hard on plastics. It can cause long term damage making things get brittle. However you might be lucky.

05-25-2023, 08:54 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Super glue is very hard on plastics. It can cause long term damage making things get brittle. However you might be lucky.
I've done some reading on super glues - apparently the glue itself gets brittle with age as well. There are "toughened" super glues that have rubber compounds in the formula that don't get brittle with age.

Super glues also have excellent tensile strength but not so great shear strength. Tensile forces are at right angles to the bond surface and shearing force are parallel. That's why the TV commercials show a couple pieces glued together to lift or pull some great weight. If the guy wearing the helmet glued to the plate started spinning the bond probably would break.

So super glue might not be the best option to glue back a spinning dial to a shaft.
12-11-2023, 11:15 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to know how to get a replacement special function dial (lower right dial on top of camera). Mine went missing after a fall the first winter I owned it, and I would sure like to try to save my mode settings!
12-12-2023, 06:18 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BBooDad Quote
I'd like to know how to get a replacement special function dial (lower right dial on top of camera). Mine went missing after a fall the first winter I owned it, and I would sure like to try to save my mode settings!
Good luck getting something as specialized as that especially a new camera model. As far as I know Ricoh/ Pentax doesn't sell parts like that to the general public. Finding a parts camera will probably be tough.