Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 iii replacement non functional knob

I am currently traveling (Costa Rica) and my K3 iii got knocked over on a tripod. The camera functions fine but the little non functional know On top was lost. I went to Precision Cameras web site and I was quoted an insane $450 dollars for a repair, which is insane and highway robbery for something that seems to be only cosmetic. Is there anyway around their Monopoly blockade that I might be able to get a replacement without breaking the bank? I'd live with it, but it would be a constant reminder of a foolish accident.

05-15-2023, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which "non functional knob" on top? I'm confused. I'm not aware of any knob that is non functional by design?

If the camera has had a fall, it would be best to make this the problem of your insurer. That's what I did when my K-1ii got damaged. It ended up costing me far less than if I had to pay for the repair myself. You may, for instance, think that the camera is fine, but it may need recalibration after a fall like that.
05-15-2023, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
are you talking about joystick knob ?
05-15-2023, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What knob is non functional? A little more info please, maybe a pic.

05-15-2023, 05:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On the top of the camera, on the lower right side there is a circular wheel like button. On my k1 it rotates but doesn't have a function, on the k3 I don't even think it rotates.
05-15-2023, 06:09 PM   #6

You mean the smart function button? The button is very functional and one of the innovations introduced with the K-1. See page 19 of the K-3iii user manual.
05-15-2023, 06:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry I don't have access to a manual until I return.

05-15-2023, 06:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You mean the smart function button? The button is very functional and one of the innovations introduced with the K-1. See page 19 of the K-3iii user manual.
I'll guess the diopter button.
05-15-2023, 08:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I am currently traveling (Costa Rica) and my K3 iii got knocked over on a tripod. The camera functions fine but the little non functional know On top was lost. I went to Precision Cameras web site and I was quoted an insane $450 dollars for a repair, which is insane and highway robbery for something that seems to be only cosmetic. Is there anyway around their Monopoly blockade that I might be able to get a replacement without breaking the bank? I'd live with it, but it would be a constant reminder of a foolish accident.
Can you post a cellphone pic of the area in question? There aren’t any non-functional knobs I’m aware of.

Or draw on an online image.
05-15-2023, 08:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you mean the wheel shown circled in red? If so, that is the diopter adjustment wheel that sets the diopter correction.
Attached Images

05-15-2023, 09:14 PM - 2 Likes   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

Is it less than 1 cm in diameter?

I wonder if it is the sync port cover.

It might seem to be a knob that doesn’t do anything, but in reality just serves to cover the hole of a port that many people never use.
05-16-2023, 01:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Sorry I don't have access to a manual until I return.
As you have access to the internet you can download a copy of the manual here Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
As with the other posters, I'm a little confused by your description of a "non-functioning" button … but if it's a feature of the camera that you simply don't use surely a blob of epoxy will serve to replace it
05-16-2023, 02:29 AM   #13
pid
Pentaxian

I think he means the the sync port cover. Most people never need it in their life.
05-16-2023, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I wonder if it is the sync port cover.
Hehe, if Pentax charges $450 for this replacement cover, it is in fact robbery. I would rather buy a 3D printer and make my own cover.
05-16-2023, 02:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry the WiFi is pretty bad here. I can't get a photo loaded. I suppose it must be the 'smart function' button, again it is on top of the camera lower right hand corner about 1.5 CM in diameter. It just looks like I need a new one snapped on.