Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2023, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF Illumination When Moving Focus Points?

I’ve had the K3 Markiii for around a month now and love the camera. One thing I’d like to replicate from the Nikon D850 is to have the AF light up every time I move the focus point with the joystick. This makes it easier to see where the focus point is moving to if the scene is dark and blends in with the AF points. I tried doing a search but it was a little inconclusive? Thoughts?

Kinda unrelated, but I’ve been impressed how well this camera holds up to the D850. Image quality is about the same, just a little less resolution. The shake reduction also makes it better in some situations. The OVF is about as good as the D700 (though the 850 is noticeably bigger). Pretty impressive.

06-05-2023, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I’ve had the K3 Markiii for around a month now and love the camera. One thing I’d like to replicate from the Nikon D850 is to have the AF light up every time I move the focus point with the joystick. This makes it easier to see where the focus point is moving to if the scene is dark and blends in with the AF points. I tried doing a search but it was a little inconclusive? Thoughts?
Mine do light when moved, but it goes dark very quickly, sometimes it would be helpful staying on longer. I have found nothing in the manual to change that.
06-05-2023, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope my video may be able to help you:
06-05-2023, 02:59 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine lights the focus point briefly after moving with joystick. You can push the autofocus mode button on the left to brightly light up the chosen focus point for as long as you hold it down. This can help in bright light.

06-05-2023, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Mine lights the focus point briefly after moving with joystick. You can push the autofocus mode button on the left to brightly light up the chosen focus point for as long as you hold it down. This can help in bright light.
Oh, that's a good tip about the focus mode button!
06-05-2023, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
FozzFoster and Pentax Syntax, two great tips. Thank you!!
06-05-2023, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In AFC it will not illuminate while the lens is focusing. And since it's an LCD screen, the individual focus points can not illuminate, which is why the entire viewfinder illuminates from a small LED that projects the red light onto the focus screen. The older K-3II/K-3 use LED's for the focus points but that makes for a dimmer viewfinder than what we have on the K-3 III. Yes, moving the focus points around BEFORE before focus is achieved will illuminate the viewfinder I'm AFC. In AFS, the viewfinder will light when focus is achieved as long as you have the menu setting to on or auto (Auto basically uses the ambient light to assume it's bright enough to not need the illumination (it doesn't always get it right, especially if there's a dark subject you're trying to focus on).