Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

You do great work on these cameras. I'm glad there are people around that treat old vintage items with respect instead of trash.

01-09-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So... here is an addition to this string. This was my brother's very first camera. He did not get into the hobby as I did, preferring electronics more. I just need to find a 620 take up real (I already have one) so I can wind some 120 film onto it, and then viola, 620 film! This camera still works, the front collapses down to make it smaller and it even had a cable release socket so you could do time measurements! I still have the original case, though the leather stitching needs to be redone. Circa 1963 or so.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-28-2021, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

Remember this old friend? It's been 2 years since I cleaned it. But since 127 film was not easily available at the time it has just been sitting there. Since I am working on another 127 camera (Vest Pocket Kodak) I finally ordered some 127 film. So this one came out again and I plan to run one of the rolls thru it. I actually have more 127 cameras than rolls so I need to carefully choose which ones will get them.
A little dust off and the lens was carefully cleaned.

The strap buckles had rusted again but cleaned easily. Here you can see one halfway done. This time, after polishing I will clearcoat them for added protection.

Cleaning the inside, I found the manufacturing datecode: YIOY which translates to 0860 using the CAMEROSITY coding. Kodak used a 13 month Cotsworth calendar for many years, so it is the 8th month of a 13 month year. That will put it around mid July to early August of 1960.
Let me know if you are interested in further discussion of this CAMEROSITY/Cotsworth calendar topic.

The camera has 2 aperture settings based on film used: EV13 for Color and EV14 for B&W film which roughly corresponds to about f11 and f16 respectively assuming the shutter is around 1/50th of a second or so.

So, another one on Stand by alert ready to jump into action...

Thanks,
Ismael
01-15-2022, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a couple Brownies as a kid, a little newer than this one, but never had a chance to use them. Glad you found one.

01-16-2022, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was a small child my mom's camera was a 127 Brownie Starflash.

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Kodak_Brownie_Starflash

Among her photos were those taken on our numerous visits to the 1964-65 NY Worlds Fair.
By the 1970's the old Anscochrome slides had faded and color shifted badly.
Later a spring flood in my parents basement destroyed them completely.

127 "superslides" were great; they fit standard projectors
but offered about 50% more image area than 35mm slides.

If 127 transparency film was manufactured today I'd look for
a good adjustable lens 127 film camera - most likely a "baby" TLR.

Yes, I know you can buy hand-rolled 127 film or slit 120 yourself...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-17-2022 at 07:17 AM.
01-20-2022, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
PICTURES!
The results are in!

Hello,

Very VERY Happy! I just downloaded the scans from The Darkroom who processed 2 rolls for me. Negatives are in transit. This is the first 127 roll shot on the Starflex.
These are untouched scans as downloaded. I only resized them and added the signature. As soon as I receive the negatives I'll scan them myself again to see if there is any improvement, but these are really good. All 12 images were properly exposed. None wasted!
I found this camera to be a real joy to use for one simple reason: the big bright viewfinder! This is a camera I can see myself using regularly if 127 film was easily available and affordable.

Here are some samples:

Last shot of 2021: Dec 31st in the afternoon
Notice the film was not perfectly flat on this one as the roofline is wavy. It only happened on this first frame. All others seem ok.

First shot of 2022!
While the family was still sleeping I sneaked out to one of my favorite spots. Jan 1st, 2022

One of my favorites of the roll!

My other favorite!

There is a story to this one: This tree is in a private property in front of my in-law's house. A few weeks ago I noticed the early morning sun hitting the tree beautifully and immediately thought of this image: Half the tree trunk in light and half in shade. But the time window was only a few minutes. So very early I walked to it and waited for the light to be perfect. I thought somebody may come by and ask me what I was doing. I spent about 30 minutes checking and waiting for the light to be perfect when I noticed a pickup truck approaching. The guy looked at me and asked "Are you ok?" That was a weird question. I was not expecting that. I was expecting a "who are you and what are you doing?" I explained and then he had an expression of relief. He basically said "carry on" and left. I was a bit confused. That was kind of weird. Then I noticed: There was a noose on the other side of the tree that I have seen used to tie horses. I think the guy thought it could be a suicide hanging attempt!!!!

This last image of the roll shows fogging at the bottom. It may have been caused by handling or while processing. I don't think it was caused by the camera. It shows in this frame and very little on the previous one. The others are fine. The roll was immediately wound. The camera was immediately put into a dark case and the roll was not removed until I got home, where it was carefully handled in low light and foil wrapped. When the negatives arrive I'll check more on this.

These cameras were not intended for serious commercial or professional photography. These were simple and easy to use snapshot makers. It was really intended for shots like these:

Supposedly it focuses down to 4 ft, but I think this sample is a bit more than that.

Extra bonus: Here is a TV commercial on YouTube. $10.75 in 1960 is about $100 today adjusted for inflation.

Very happy with the 127 squadron! Will post the results of the VPK in that thread as well.

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 01-20-2022 at 09:37 AM.
01-27-2022, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice results, Ismael!

My mom got surprisingly good results with her humble Kodak 127 Starflash as well.

Chris

01-28-2022, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pictures from a vintage, inexpensive camera. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into not only bringing these cameras back to life, but taking the time to share the journey with us.
01-30-2022, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Well done with the Starflex … Kodak seemed to have spent some effort designing the apparently low-specification lenses for their cheaper cameras so that "Joe Public" and his family could get reasonable results from a fairly minimal outlay.
The lens was moulded from acrylic … possibly a first in it's day and helped to keep the costs down.
Bear in mind that contact prints were the norm in those days … the final images were intended to be the same size as the negative!
Viewing them on a modern computer screen really is pushing them beyond their "design limits"
Just for reference, the wire-frame viewfinder (not fitted to all cameras!) was intended to be used with the camera held upside down.
The rear frame was held up to the eye and the final image was approximately what one could see in the larger frame.
This gave the advantage of being able to judge when a moving subject was entering the frame to help with your panning … not easy with a laterally reversed waist-level viewfinder

Addenda:
Deep in "the archives" I've got a scanned copy of the instruction leaflet for a Starflex. Let me know if it'd be of interest and I'll make it available for download

Last edited by kypfer; 01-30-2022 at 02:20 PM. Reason: addition
02-02-2022, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Very VERY Happy! I just downloaded the scans from The Darkroom who processed 2 rolls for me. Negatives are in transit. This is the first 127 roll shot on the Starflex
Superb, Ismael. You must be delighted! Thanks for sharing - I love looking at this stuff... so much character