Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2020, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

A deep cleanup. Lightly sanded and scuffed the plastic areas to be painted. Started careful masking the black areas and especially the lenses to protect them from overspray. Highest quality masking tape (Tamiya from Japan) followed by regular masking tape on top. Automotive lacquer primer applied. From this point forward it is no different than painting a scale model or a detail automotive paint job.

By the way, the face plate has been painted. I'll keep the color scheme secret for now... Buahaa ha haaaa...

Thanks,

08-09-2020, 01:12 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
By the way, the face plate has been painted. I'll keep the color scheme secret for now... Buahaa ha haaaa...
Flames! We want FLAMES!

Steve

(...phoenix motif? )
08-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
GREAT idea for the next one! Black with flames!
08-09-2020, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Really enjoying this resto thread. Great work

Automotive lacquer primer applied.
Out of curiosity, does the primer bond well to plastic, or do you have to roughen the surface before application?

08-09-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

A light sanding with 400 grit is usually enough. I'm using discontinued lacquer T-236 primer which works beautifully in plastics as well as metal. The beauty of it is that it can be the base for lacquer, enamel, urethane, acrylics or any other paint you can throw at it.

Thanks,
08-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

A light sanding with 400 grit is usually enough. I'm using discontinued lacquer T-236 primer which works beautifully in plastics as well as metal. The beauty of it is that it can be the base for lacquer, enamel, urethane, acrylics or any other paint you can throw at it.

Thanks,
Interesting. Thanks for the info!
08-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #22

I had one of the those. It was sitting in the box until it got thrown out when we sold my parents house 6-8 years ago. Rather good condition too. Oh well.

08-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

The back is metal and quite hefty, mostly due to the inner steel insert and hinge. I was able to remove the "leatherette like" covering, not without a good fight with 50+ years old contact cement. There were two dings at the corner. I worked them with automotive putty since this will be painted over.

Thanks,
08-14-2020, 01:30 PM - 6 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
IT IS DONE!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting my custom Kodak Instamatic 124 rare Corvette Edition 1 of 1!
Ok, with the fact that I'm not normal out of the way, I had fun with this!
I am known as "the Corvette guy" in automotive and scale model forums. "Big fan" is an understatement. So this was painted in authentic Corvette Laguna Blue (2014-2016) and Corvette Arctic White. The stripe was made by painting the white first, then masking with thin strips of tape and painting the blue on top. Followed by automotive clear. Just like the real thing. It really sparkles in the sun! The red accents are my tribute to red brake calipers. Both paints were leftovers of modeling projects. I'll post a link to one of those at the bottom of the post.
Now for the silver, that was a tough one. I wanted to use Ferrari Argento Nurburgring metallic, but I only have less than half an ounce left. Not enough for this project and I did not feel like ordering online and waiting forever, not to mention the cost. So I went the closest route: hardware store aluminum spray topped with matt clear. I wanted a more silvery tone but this will do. My only concern is that I'm not sure how durable that finish is, but honestly, this camera will not see much use anyways.
Everything you see here was there originally. I did not replace any parts. Even the rusted screws were restored and reused.
The lens is perfectly clean and clear. The little defects you see in the pics are actually the shutter itself.
Two parts were cleaned but left untouched to preserve 50+ years old patina: The red Kodak nameplate and the film door release.

But it really sparkles in the sun!

I really like how the 3 plastic elements viewfinder turned out absolutely perfect! Very Bright and a joy to look thru!

This is the kind of project that is never complete. I plan to eventually make my own advance lever knob as it is missing. I am also thinking on adding tiny "IG" (my initials) next to the 124 model designation so it becomes a "124 IG" model.
Best part is that it seems to work properly!
I hope you like it! Had a lot of fun with it.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael

P.S. Here is the project where the blue paint came from:

Last edited by ismaelg; 08-14-2020 at 07:10 PM.
08-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Hello,

We all have limits. Or should have.
Here is further evidence of:
1- I'm not normal
2- I do this just for fun

Ok, so a distant relative gave me this instead of throwing it away. Which I was close to do as well. But then I started looking at it. You can still get boxed "as new" samples on ebay for $15. But what fun would that be?
So, my plan is to "custom paint it" for display only using automotive paint. (Read point #1 above)

Kodak Instamatic 124
This was a cheap point and shoot for it's day. Used 126 film. According to my quick research it was made from 1968 to 1971.

First impression is that it is un-salvageable

Frozen solid. Nothing moves.

Conversation with myself: "What the heck are you doing?"

"Really dude? you are nuts..."

Let's see where this goes.

Thanks,
Ismael
I had an Instamatic 100 once - in High School and college.
The shutter broke in April 1969, just before I graduated from college.

Technically, it wasn't much of a camera, but I learned much by using it, and it lasted just until graduation money provided a replacement.
I still feel affection for it.
08-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #26

You even have the redline tires represented!
Cool little project! Good job!

Kirk B.
08-14-2020, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

IT IS DONE!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting my custom Kodak Instamatic 124 rare Corvette Edition 1 of 1!
I hope you like it! Had a lot of fun with it.
What do you think?
I'll tell you what I think, Ismael... I think it's fantastic. What a job you've done... Your skills are evident throughout the "resto mod" process - and I love your choice of finish. I've never seen a "Korvette" Instamatic 124, and I totally dig it!

Have you sourced some film? That thing deserves to be driven up and down the strip a few times
08-14-2020, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you think?
You're a master! Who would have thought that a modest little Instamatic 124 could be reborn into a slick machine!

Thanks for your progress reports along the way!

- Craig
08-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's a guy who makes 35mm adapters for 126 cameras...
FakMatic 35mm to 126 Adapter ? Film Photography Project Store

You could probably 3D print your own...

-Eric
08-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done. Good to see restoration at a time destruction seems to be the in-thing.