Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 10:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hopeless Minolta SRT 100

Hello,

I was sent this poor Minolta SRT 100. It is all corroded, seized and stuck. I honestly don't think it can be saved. I have no idea and zero experience with Minoltas, so this will be a learning experience. That is not dirt. That's corrosion.

Even opening the back was a huge challenge. Need both hands to open. I'm sure that dead bug is not original equipment

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 11-18-2020 at 05:11 PM.
11-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That really looks like it’s beyond salvation..... that’s a sad thing to see.
11-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #3

Like the Pentax K1000 the Minolta SRT-100 series are built like tanks so it may not be as hopeless as it seems. These used mercury batteries so be aware of the voltage difference when checking the meter.
11-11-2020, 12:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Erks! Looks as though a horde of blowflies feasted upon it and left their 'mark'.

Were it just the outside I would send the offending parts off to the Powder Coaters for stripping and Groovy re-colour. (Hot Orange ! )

But that mirror !

11-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the utmost faith in you.
11-11-2020, 12:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are very well made. I have several versions of them.
11-11-2020, 12:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This will be fun Ismael, and to me it looks better than that last Pentax.

So what is your plan for the pitting?

11-11-2020, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I honestly don't think it can be saved.
Then you have nothing to lose by trying.

I'm sure that dead bug is not original equipment

Original owner's review: "Camera emits a faint cricket-like chirp when picked up and turned on. Gosh, those engineers at Minolta are ahead of their time!"
11-11-2020, 05:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It's a shame to see such a nice camera in such poor shape. I hate to say it, I think it can't be saved. There are still plenty of working ones around though.
11-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moisture and warmth, two things that will kill most mechanical devices. See if you can do a surface clean, and if you have a good camera repair shop locally, they may give some advise. Good luck!
11-11-2020, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #11

Looks like it was stores under the bathroom sink. I would bake it to 180 degrees prior to touching it...
I had a lady who wanted me to look at her computer to see if I could find out why it kept shutting off.
I pulled the screws out of the side cover, cracked it open, then immediately slammed it closed and carried it out to the garage.
It was infested with those small, brown german roaches. They have an affinity for warm places, and had infiltrated the power supply to the point the fan would no longer work.
After bug spraying an area 3 ft wide around the box, and the box, I closed it up, brought it back to her, told her the problem and said I couldn't fix it.

Kirk B.
11-11-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
Looks like it was stores under the bathroom sink. I would bake it to 180 degrees prior to touching it...
I had a lady who wanted me to look at her computer to see if I could find out why it kept shutting off.
I pulled the screws out of the side cover, cracked it open, then immediately slammed it closed and carried it out to the garage.
It was infested with those small, brown german roaches. They have an affinity for warm places, and had infiltrated the power supply to the point the fan would no longer work.
After bug spraying an area 3 ft wide around the box, and the box, I closed it up, brought it back to her, told her the problem and said I couldn't fix it.

Kirk B.
Now that is funny 😄 😆.

One time I found my cat inside an old desktop I was working on. I had the power supply out, and all internals but the motherboard. She was curled up on the motherboard taking a nap when I took the cover off.
11-11-2020, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Even opening it was a challenge and a long struggle as some of the screws started to strip by just touching them.
Just as I thought, corroded inside. All springs are rusted. Solder joints look corroded and about to break. Even if I could un-jam this thing, it will never work reliably without replacing most parts.

The top put up a big fight. The front screw had to be submitted to obedience with locking pliers as it was stripped.

Unfortunately it is long gone.

I will try to get it to look halfway decent and use it as decoration, or clock or something.
Or I can paint it gold and sell it for half a million dollars as an eccentric art piece

Thanks,
11-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could give it the same treatment you gave that little kodak, add the clock, and have a decorative timepiece.
11-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #15

Or I can paint it gold and sell it for half a million dollars as an eccentric art piece

Thanks,
Or tape it to a wall...

Kirk B.