Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2021, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #31

Well, darn.
Weird how it only shows up on seemingly random images. Still and all, a very good effort nearly 70 year old camera.
I think you can declare this one q success, since you figured from the start that it probably wouldn't be usable.
From my point of view, it is a job well done!

Kirk B.

08-20-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
At this point, my only theory is that the light leak may be coming from the shutter itself. I have a few ideas on additional tests but I'm not wasting any more film. At least for now. Still happy with this adventure. Too bad it is not yet at 100%
Don't discount the possibility of a the light leak being from somewhere unexpected. My Soviet-made FED-2 rangefinder has a light leak on to the film frame from around the trim ring for the rangefinder window. It only shows with bright light from the right onto that part of the camera and even then, the light path is not direct. The way to test is with a bright (LED) flashlight, back of camera open, shutter open on "B" and cap on lens. Be thorough in a light-dimmed room and maybe you will find success.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2021 at 01:18 PM.
08-22-2021, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That was quite fascinating. Its a lovely camera. I really hope you can find the problem. Thank you so much for taking us along. I am trying not to get into film but its hooks are heading my way (my spotty is running its first film). I just wish I had your skills in camera repair
08-24-2021, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
Still and all, a very good effort nearly 70 year old camera.
Hmmmmm...I was born in 1955 and can assure you that 1957 is not nearly 70 years ago.

Steve

11-19-2021, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

Not sure if anybody is following this but I think I may have found the problem!
You didn't think I was going to sit defeated without a fight, didn't you?
Tried multiple settings with a flashlight pointing at the lens and the shutter seems ok.
If the issue is in the lower left corner of the image, the problem must be in the upper right corner of the camera. I found the plate where the lens sits is bright and shiny in this upper right area, as if it was scraped or something. The left side is a little less, while the bottom is black painted. The triangular shape matches the problem. Hard to see in this pic. Maybe somebody tried to clean it? Who knows! Anyways I'm going to paint the area with some flat black acrylic paint and tempted to try another roll.

Thanks,
Ismael
Don't know how I missed this thread, but think you would be interested in this one. It was working when I got it, but the oils have finally stopped it. Beautifully made even if it has the strange advance and film door.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Bp7dmU]Ricoh S-2 1959 beautifully made with an unusual bottom plate film advance.
[IMG][/IMG]
12-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Ismael,

It's probably far too long ago now, but did you get the light leak when shooting in bright light or when carrying in bright light.

I've had some light leaks that were no big deal if I wind the film on quickly, but if I let the camera sit outside in the sun, I got some big messes.

I have an ISIS medium format camera that does that. It leaks though the lens surround...

That might help you narrow down the source a bit.

-Eric
12-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Beautiful S-2 Arnold!

Hi Eric,

From the first roll I was convinced it was from carrying it bright light rather than at the moment of shooting, but the second roll confused me a little bit because it was very random. I can't really establish a solid cause. However, the second roll was ISO 400 vs 100 on the first. It seems the black painting I did inside the camera helped. I still suspect it is from carrying it into bight light but it must be a specific angle or something. Around the lens? around the shutter? From the rangefinder window? But I can't rule out completely that at the moment of exposure any weird stray light ray may bounce round and wreck havoc in there contributing to it. It is definitely coming from the front as the leak does not extend beyond the frame. I want to take another look and another try, but I have so many projects that are all screaming for attention

Thanks,
Ismael

12-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #38

Hello,

So I got my negatives back today. Unfortunately the issue is still there, but it is weird:
Keep in mind I basically used sunny 16 on this roll.

Some of the pictures turned out very nice:
(Home scanned)

And then, randomly within the roll, BOOM! There it is again!

I intentionally scanned into the frame separation. You see it is only in the frame, so it is definitely coming from the front.

At this point, my only theory is that the light leak may be coming from the shutter itself. I have a few ideas on additional tests but I'm not wasting any more film. At least for now. Still happy with this adventure. Too bad it is not yet at 100%
Oh well!

Thanks,
Ismael
Ismael, it's been four months since you posted last. Have you done anything more to try to find the source of the leak? I have two 500s (types 3 and 4) that seem to be working, although the type 3 has some occasional problems with sticky shutter button. And I have a type 2 (same shutter as yours but with the flat top plate) in which nothing works. Even the focus ring is frozen. I'd like to take the front off the camera to get to the trigger mechanism and the back of the shutter, but I can't find anything anywhere that gives a hint about how to do that. The 500s have a kind of locking mechanism around the rear elements that apparently holds the lens on the lens plate, but I can't figure out how it is supposed to be released. Have you come across any disassembly instructions that describe the process?

Noel
02-16-2022, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #39

Just read this and sorry to hear about your father.
This reminded me the Ricoh 500 left by my father after he passed away in 2013.
Still missing him.....
Attached Images