Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2021, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Just to be very clear: I do have all intentions to shoot a roll with it.
I can't wait to see the images, Ismael. I love this kind of thing

09-21-2021, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Ismael.

Knowing nothing about these cameras .......
If you put film in it will it still work ? .....
Or has the booklet taken the space of the cameras guts !?
It’s ok, that’s an early mirrorless camera.
09-22-2021, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

That's amazing. What a find! Look forward to see any images you can get from it.
09-26-2021, 08:39 PM - 6 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cleanup is only the start of this adventure

Hello,

May I present my just refreshed century old camera: Kodak No.2A Brownie Model B

While the No.2A camera was built from 1907 until 1936, I have research dated this camera to a window between late 1918 and early 1920. So it is between 101 and 103 years old at the moment of this post (Sept 2021).
Some of the reasons are:
1. Film tension spring and case latches were revised and improved in 1917. This camera has the late and updated version of both features.
2.A small metal nameplate was added to the back in early 1918. This camera has it.
3.A shutter trigger guard was added in March 1920. This camera does not have that.
4.Circumstantial evidence: The booklet is dated June 1918. Assuming it is the original booklet that came with it, this camera could be from the second half of 1918.

It cleaned up really nice. It is in remarkable good condition. Keep in mind, this is mostly cardboard and wood.

While I will not trust it for its original intended use, the leather handle is still in better presentable condition than many others I've seen. It is not uncommon to have these missing in units this old.

The bright work cleaned and polished really nice. I understand these are nickel plated. At least the base of the winding key.

Now, here is where it gets interesting:

Cleanup is only the start of this adventure!

I would like to use this camera and take at least a roll with it. However, this camera was made for 116 film, which was discontinued almost 40 years ago.
This 116 format was a 70mm wide film, which is 10mm wider than the current 120 format.
There are typically 2 options: Either respool current film into 116 spools or work with adapters to convert current 120 film into 116 size. Both methods have their challenges.
So I ordered some 3D printed 120 to 116 adapters.

However, remember that in 1917 they update the film tension spring? Well, that interferes with this setup.

I modified the adapters a little bit and I think I can get away with it on the source spool.

However:
It won't work in the take up spool.

Just the slightest (and disrespectful) idea of altering the camera is a big NO-NO.

So here is my plan:
-Use an original 116 metal spool as take up.
-Ensure the 3D printed adapters provide the least amount of rolling resistance.
-Shoot the roll, which by the way needs to be recalibrated as the images are bigger in 116 vs 120. So the first image starts at #3, second at 5 1/2 etc.
-Once the roll is complete, I would need to respool the exposed roll back from the 116 spool into a regular 120 spool in total darkness of course, like a changing bag or darkroom.
-Send for development.

This is all part of the adventure of getting to use a century old camera.

Stay tuned!

Sorry for the long post but I try to make my content informative and useful whenever possible.

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 10-03-2021 at 03:44 AM.
09-27-2021, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ismael, as always I'm amazed with your work! Well done!
Would you care to share some scans of the brochure, explaining how to use the camera?
09-27-2021, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,
May I present my just refreshed century old camera: Kodak No.2A Brownie Model B

Sorry for the long post but I try to make my content informative and useful whenever possible.
What a fantastic job you've done, Ismael, and what a lovely camera for your collection. I think it's well worth the effort to run a roll through it, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

I could read your posts all day and not tire of them. I really enjoy your restoration adventures!
09-27-2021, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic work keeping the past alive like this. That camera looks fantastic and in far better condition than the similar model I had to use in the fifties. It was the lack of closer focus (shown below) that frustrated me the most, but at longer distances they did the job,
[IMG][/IMG]

09-28-2021, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all!

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ismael, as always I'm amazed with your work! Well done!
Would you care to share some scans of the brochure, explaining how to use the camera?
Mark, I'm in the office but I'll try to get some pics of the booklet by the weekend. I looked online but the closest I found was this manual for the later Model C which was introduced in 1924. By this time the camera was made out of metal rather than wood and cardboard. Also the back was hinged instead of the 2 latches in mine. This online manual don't have film developing details either.
https://www.cameramanuals.org/kodak_pdf/kodak_brownie_2_2a.pdf

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What a fantastic job you've done, Ismael, and what a lovely camera for your collection. I think it's well worth the effort to run a roll through it, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

I could read your posts all day and not tire of them. I really enjoy your restoration adventures!
Mike, really appreciate your enthusiastic comments. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Fantastic work keeping the past alive like this. That camera looks fantastic and in far better condition than the similar model I had to use in the fifties. It was the lack of closer focus (shown below) that frustrated me the most, but at longer distances they did the job,
[/url][/IMG]
Arnold, that picture has a special charm to it despite not been in focus. Just lovely!

THanks,
09-28-2021, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark, I'm in the office but I'll try to get some pics of the booklet by the weekend. I looked online but the closest I found was this manual for the later Model C which was introduced in 1924. By this time the camera was made out of metal rather than wood and cardboard. Also the back was hinged instead of the 2 latches in mine. This online manual don't have film developing details either.
https://www.cameramanuals.org/kodak_pdf/kodak_brownie_2_2a.pdf
Cool! Thank you Ismael!
09-30-2021, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent job on the cleanup. . There is a company called Film For Classics that still spools film in the older formats. Their web sited gives a list of their dealers.

https://filmforclassics.com/
10-01-2021, 08:40 PM - 4 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Here are some quick shots of the booklet (actually shot on a 4 Whopping Mega pixels 2004 Fuji S3100 as part of the "Old Digitals also need love" series)
The booklet is fragile and I'm carefully opening it up to get it on the flat scanner... eventually.

Opening the camera. Notice you need formal attire to use it

Loading film

Developing (after 17 pages on how to take pictures)

Developing in the darkroom

Printing

Mounting

The booklet has 54 pages packed with information, clear instructions, price lists and more.
I'll eventually scan it properly and fully but that will be a project on its own.

Thanks,
Ismael
10-03-2021, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is so cool Ismael, thank you for posting!
10-08-2021, 12:58 PM - 6 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Time for another update:

I was able to hunt down a correct No 2 Kodak Portrait Attachment in its box for this camera! It is basically a close up lens to reduce the minimum focusing distance from 8-10ft down to 3 ft. It simply snaps in front of the camera. I plan to test this camera this week and the very first shot I have in mind is using this portrait adapter.

Now follow me:
Imagine it is late 1918. I just bought this new thing called camera because photography is becoming a very popular activity. The model I bought was the Brownie No.2A. It was a hefty $3.50. I saw more expensive models with tripod sockets, but this one doesn't. But I've been reading about photography and I know I need a stable platform for longer exposures.
After some experiments, I ended up with a scrap piece of steel square tubing. Welded a nut in place, painted it black and added a soft top cover. Would have been cloth or leather back in 1918 as self adhesive foamy was not available back then.
Don't leave unattended, but now I have a more stable platform than hand holding. I plan to add an elastic strap as a safety precaution.

I am also practicing respooling 120 film into 116 spools in total darkness. I'm ready to fly on my own.

Now, why people say I'm obsessed with this?

Thanks,
Ismael
10-08-2021, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Time for another update:

I was able to hunt down a correct No 2 Kodak Portrait Attachment in its box for this camera! It is basically a close up lens to reduce the minimum focusing distance from 8-10ft down to 3 ft. It simply snaps in front of the camera. I plan to test this camera this week and the very first shot I have in mind is using this portrait adapter.

Now follow me:
Imagine it is late 1918. I just bought this new thing called camera because photography is becoming a very popular activity. The model I bought was the Brownie No.2A. It was a hefty $3.50. I saw more expensive models with tripod sockets, but this one doesn't. But I've been reading about photography and I know I need a stable platform for longer exposures.
After some experiments, I ended up with a scrap piece of steel square tubing. Welded a nut in place, painted it black and added a soft top cover. Would have been cloth or leather back in 1918 as self adhesive foamy was not available back then.
Don't leave unattended, but now I have a more stable platform than hand holding. I plan to add an elastic strap as a safety precaution.

I am also practicing respooling 120 film into 116 spools in total darkness. I'm ready to fly on my own.

Now, why people say I'm obsessed with this?

Thanks,
Ismael
Fantastic, Ismael. You're really going the extra mile with this!! Next you'll be wearing period clothes
10-09-2021, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

You may say I kind of like old cameras. Yeah, that would be an understatement.
No surprise my favorite cameras are Asahi and Pentax. But I also have a soft spot for Kodak cameras, especially vintage stuff.
Sometimes I see items on eBay with a starting bid of $1 and I bid maybe $1 or $2 and forget about it. A week later, I get a notification I won the item. Not very common but it happens.
That was the case on this. Won the auction for $1 (plus $8 for shipping )
The description simply said vintage Kodak 2A Brownie camera and your average typical dining table pictures.
Well, it happens to be a No.2A Brownie Model B, with metal nameplate and no shutter guard. That makes it a 1918-1919 camera! (nameplate was added in 1918, shutter guard in 1920). That's a 102 years old! (at the moment I post this in 2021) Made with wood and cardboard parts as well as metal.
Looks dirty but complete.

So far so good. However...
When I opened it, I was surprised!

What seems to be the original booklet was inside! I'm sure the seller was not even aware.

June 1918! That is a 103 years old booklet!

The free subscription for the magazine says 30 days after purchase. I wonder if it can still be honored...

The booklet not only contains camera use instructions, but also development and printing! With plenty of details!

Less surprisingly, there was also an original 116 film spool inside

Many people make the mistake of incorrectly dating items from the patent date. The patent is from 1916. So you know it was made after that, but many items keep a patent date while still been in production for years.

So, it is in queue for a cleanup job. I have seen adapters to run or respool 120 film in 116 spools. When the time comes, I may try that. Would be nice to shoot with a 102+ years old camera...
What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael
That's amazing! Thank you for saving it and sharing too!