Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 11:25 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Restoration: Kodak No.2 Model D circa 1916

Hello,

As some of you already know, I recently restored and used a 1918 Kodak Brownie No.2A box camera. It is very enjoyable and as a history buff, I am stoked and honored to be using a 100+ years old camera. I feel it is my duty to preserve and share.
But you know where this rat hole is going right?

But first a brief explanation: Box cameras were instrumental in getting photography to the masses. As entry level cameras, it opened the world of snapshot photography to society. George Eastman was a genius when he came up with the idea of marketing simple cameras to children. They would grow up as photo buffs for life.
By the middle of the 1910's decade, there were already camera offerings ranging from sophisticated pro gear to simple entry level box cameras.
Kodak had several models of the Brownie family of box cameras: Brownie 0, 1, 2, 3, some variations etc. They were similar in concept. One of the differences between them was the film format used. Keep in mind that by this time enlarging was still in its infancy. Contact printing was the norm. So the printed images were the size of the negatives, hence the many options of film sizes.
Brownie "2" came in 2 formats: No.2 which used 120 film and No.2A which used 116 film. Both were concurrently evolving for almost 3 decades.

Sooo, I found this old lady in distress and had to rescue her. This is a No.2 Brownie Model D. It uses 120 film which is currently available. No need to mess around with adapters or respooling.
Based on it's characteristics, I am dating this from mid 1916 to early-mid 1917. However, despite been only a year or two older than the first one I did, it is far worse and in really rough shape. Getting this back to life will take some fixing.

It is seized and the back door is literally hanging by a thread. But it looks complete.
So, why not?

Let's go for it!

Stay tuned...

Thanks,
Ismael

10-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excited to see another thread reviving an old classic.
10-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, oh man - is there no challenge you won't rise to, Ismael?! This one needs a lot of love and attention. Go for it, my friend!
10-20-2021, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Forgot to mention the camera is mostly cardboard and wood. Think about it: This flimsy thing has seen 2 World Wars and 2 pandemics over the last century and change...
I'm pretty sure the workers who built this thought "Somebody will restore this over a hundred years from now"

This camera is showing signs of been used extensively. I like that!
What has it seen? If it could talk!

The roll holder is a wooden core (most likely balsa as it is very lightweight) with cardboard sides and metal holders. The film is "protected" in its path by 2 strips of felt. Rollers were introduced a bit later when the roll holder changed to metal a few years later.
It is tired and worn. My plan is to get it as good as it can in its original state and then do any modification only if absolutely needed.

Thanks,
Ismael

10-21-2021, 08:13 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

The lower right front screw did not cooperate. It eventually disintegrated in several rusty bits. It only lasted 105 years!
Pretty sure that white organic bug nest was not part of the original design...
Worst part? I'm having fun with this thing! Never claimed to be normal!

Thanks,
Ismael
10-21-2021, 06:13 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

The back door is literally hanging by a thread.

Let's work this first.

Alright, time to get serious.
The bezel in front of the lens is rusted and quite ugly. See initial pictures at the start of the topic.
Taking it out will jeopardize the integrity of the cardboard and wood plate. So it was worked in place using cross-pollinated automotive hobby techniques. Carefully worked the rust and eventually sanded down to the bare metal. This bare metal had not seen light in over 105 years!
Note I already started cleaning the front plate.
The bezel was sanded the best I could but will not use filler in the rust damage area. That slight imperfection will keep a hint of patina.

Metal prep, careful masking, painting...

and eventually....
TA DAH!!!!
I win this round

NEXT!!!

Thanks,
Ismael
10-24-2021, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

While not bad for over a century old cardboard piece, the roll holder was a bit beaten up.

I did a photo paper mask to help the winding key surrounding area.

The idea is to strengthen the area but with the least invasive way possible. Measure (at least twice), cut, paint, fit and attach with just a dab of glue.

The rest of the roll holder was refreshed and cleaned including the felt film protectors, metal holders, retouched the black paint in a few spots, etc.

This roll holder may be ready for another 100 years...

Thanks,
Ismael

10-24-2021, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

While not bad for over a century old cardboard piece, the roll holder was a bit beaten up.

I did a photo paper mask to help the winding key surrounding area.

The idea is to strengthen the area but with the least invasive way possible. Measure (at least twice), cut, paint, fit and attach with just a dab of glue.

The rest of the roll holder was refreshed and cleaned including the felt film protectors, metal holders, retouched the black paint in a few spots, etc.

This roll holder may be ready for another 100 years...

Thanks,
Ismael
Very nice work, Ismael!

The lens bezel looks fantastic. I must say, I'm always impressed by the results you're able to get with corroded and discoloured metalwork.

That strengthening mask blends in so well that it could have been (perhaps should have been) part of the original holder! Great job
10-25-2021, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Like those automotive products informercials where they tape half the hood of a car to show progress:
Can you tell which side has been worked and which side has not been touched?

Hint: It will break my heart if you don't...

Thanks,
Ismael
10-25-2021, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Like those automotive products informercials where they tape half the hood of a car to show progress:
Can you tell which side has been worked and which side has not been touched?

Hint: It will break my heart if you don't...
I'll take a wild guess, but is the part that looks like brand new, factory-fresh metal-work the bit you worked on??

Incredible, Ismael...
10-26-2021, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

The ground glass in the viewfinders have most likely never been removed before. Here you see on the left halfway thru the cleaning process, to the right untouched 100+ years accumulation of dirt and grime.

Spoiler alert, eventually they both got squeaky clean

Thanks,
Ismael
10-27-2021, 05:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,

The ground glass in the viewfinders have most likely never been removed before. Here you see on the left halfway thru the cleaning process, to the right untouched 100+ years accumulation of dirt and grime.

Spoiler alert, eventually they both got squeaky clean

Thanks,
Ismael
How do you clean the glass? I understand the metal mostly, but the glass is more difficult to clean without damage I would think.
10-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How do you clean the glass? I understand the metal mostly, but the glass is more difficult to clean without damage I would think.
Hello,

I start with a rocket blower, then a small very soft brush and then I use a cotton swab with lens cleaning fluid. Kind of similar process to cleaning a sensor now that I think about it
The wet cotton swab is very light with no pressure at all. Just light passes until it is good enough. The good thing is that usually the most dirt is on the exposed top part which is smooth.

Thanks,
Ismael
10-27-2021, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Time to get serious. The original viewfinder mirrors are quite deteriorated. I inquired on a few local glass places with no luck. So I bought my own glass cutter, a craft mirror and went to YouTube University.
Here is the result.

Also, I hate rust:
Viewfinders:

Thanks,
10-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Time to get serious. The original viewfinder mirrors are quite deteriorated. I inquired on a few local glass places with no luck. So I bought my own glass cutter, a craft mirror and went to YouTube University.
Here is the result.
Superb, Ismael! I've always wondered whether those glass cutters work. Seems like they do, in the right hands

I hate rust:
I quite like it when it's on your equipment, as I know I'll get to see the restoration

That metalwork looks really excellent, both the raw and unpainted parts. You're really making progress, and quickly too!