Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2021, 09:33 AM - 17 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
October 1919 KODAKERY magazine

Hello,

What do you know? I finally got my first issue of the magazine subscription that came with my 1918 Brownie!

As some of you may remember, I short while ago I acquired a 1918 camera and to my surprise the original booklet was inside. First page was a subscription stub for their KODAKERY magazine.
This is the picture of the Brownie booklet:

No I didn't mail it But I was curious.

KODAKERY was a monthly magazine published by Kodak and it was oriented to amateur photographers. It ran from 1913 to 1932

So I hunted down this copy from October 1919. Exactly 102 years to the month.

It is in great shape for a 102 years old magazine! Some central pages are slightly loose on one of the staples but overall condition is excellent.

The size is small for what we know as monthly magazines today. It is only 7-1/2 inches tall and 5-1/2 inches wide. Yes, I'm a little behind in my Popular Photography reading. But there is a new Pentax PZ-20 for 1993!

There is an article on a trip to England. I'm surprised at the quality of the printed pictures. Been a photography oriented publication, each picture is identified with camera and settings used. EXIF from 1919!

A common theme showcase gallery

But my favorite is a several pages article on sharpness, camera shake, motion blur and what was eventually known as Depth of field. Very good explanations and samples.
Cars and cameras! That's the definition of me!

Of course, been a Kodak magazine it contains a good share of advertisements for the brand.

Total of 32 pages.
I plan to eventually do a proper scan to digitize it and share it online, it it doesn't already exist.

Thanks,
Ismael

10-26-2021, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome blast from the past..... thanks for posting.
10-26-2021, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, very nice find.
10-26-2021, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
But my favorite is a several pages article on sharpness, camera shake, motion blur and what was eventually known as Depth of field. Very good explanations and samples
Good technique then is still relevant to good technique now. The basics of camera handling have never changed much. A lot of people can benefit from seeing old publications and I think we would all very much appreciate your sharing this.
Thanks

10-26-2021, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I enjoy reading older publications like this one from a bygone era. The presentation is clear, straightforward, and polite. -- none of that 'Wassup Y O U T U U U B E?' blaring in your face.

You gave me a laugh -- EXIF from 1919.

@ismaelg, this wonderful booklet makes a fine addition to your collection!

- Craig