Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2022, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably more expensive than you want, but the custom bellows company here in the UK make replacement bellows for almost anything. They made a set for my 1947 Kershaw Raven.

Best wishes, Kris.

01-04-2022, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

The OP may or may not have considered the option, but there are several tutorials on the web on how to make a set of bellows from scratch.
I made a set from some on-line instructions very many years ago for a 6x9cm folder that I was keen to spruce up.
I remember it was a little tedious, but not difficult.
The biggest problem was finding/manufacturing suitable material that was thin enough to fold and unfold reliably without tearing or falling apart after a few operations, and be lightproof.
Good luck
01-04-2022, 06:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you! That is a GREAT resource! Bookmarked.

Loaded:

I plan to take it out for a spin tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ismael
01-15-2022, 01:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You find some great old cameras for sure.

01-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
PICTURES!
The results are in!

Hello,

Very VERY Happy! I just downloaded the scans from The Darkroom who processed 2 rolls for me. Negatives are in transit. This is the second 127 roll shot on the Vest Pocket Kodak Model B.
These are untouched scans as downloaded. I only resized them and added the signature. As soon as I receive the negatives I'll scan them myself again to see if there is any improvement. I see some suspicious "spots" in many frames in the same place, similar to sensor dust in a digital. I'll check the negs to see if really there or a scanning flaw.

Here are all 8 images on the roll:
First shot on this camera in who knows how many decades!
Old Guajataca tunnel built in 1906. Aperture set at "2" which I think is around f16

It seems focus is slightly off. Not really a surprise since this was really beaten up. Composing is challenging with the small viewfinder.
Shot at aperture "2" (~f16?)

Smallest aperture "4" (~f32?) Time shot of about a little over a second.

I think this was a similar shot but "instantaneously"

Aperture set at "3" (~f22?)

Aperture set at "1" (~f11?)
For some reason, I LOVE this image. It is not very sharp, not the brightest but it has something luring! Maybe because it looks like the images I've seen from the first decade of the 20th century? Over 100 years ago?

Aperture set at "1" (~f11?)
The challenge of composition with a small viewfinder. The whole thing was carefully framed in the viewfinder. But the resulting image is not.

Of course there was an idiot user error moment:
I was attempting a long exposure of about a second but the shutter was not properly set. So I ended up taking 2 "instantaneous" shots making a double exposure.
At least it was sturdily mounted on the tripod.

In the grand scheme of things it is amazing this camera can produce images again, even if not the sharpest. It was left for dead for who knows how many decades. Sold
as trash maybe for parts, not even for display. The inner cardboard insert worked like a charm!
I'm happy

Thanks,
Ismael
01-30-2022, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

WOHOO!!!!

As expected, I received the negatives and there is so much more in them than the commercial scans!
I don't have a 127 tray for my ancient scanner. So I used the 120 tray and tried to keep the film as flat as possible. So this is nowhere near its full potential.
I noticed that my cardboard insert DID in fact affected the borders of the images:

But even with that, a little cropping, we have this:

Way much better when compared with the commercial scans in the previous post!

Excuse me, I'm doing a HAPPY DANCE...

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 01-30-2022 at 09:03 PM.
01-30-2022, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL - glad it worked better than anticipated.

02-02-2022, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #23
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
WOHOO!!!!

As expected, I received the negatives and there is so much more in them than the commercial scans!
I don't have a 127 tray for my ancient scanner. So I used the 120 tray and tried to keep the film as flat as possible. So this is nowhere near its full potential.
I noticed that my cardboard insert DID in fact affected the borders of the images
Excellent results, Ismael. Very well done on your home scanning... The photos have a really unique look and feel to them. Very appealing indeed. I'd call this a most successful exercise!
10-01-2022, 06:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Revisiting the subject, as I just got one with same problems as OP's (I was briefly in touch with him, busy with storm recovery in PR).

Yes, same problem with the standard base being off rails.

Looking around the web,I saw a few for sale postings, same issue!

The question is why did happen in the first place? Is some gap allowing the standard to be off a bit?

I want to know a bit more before resolving to remove the pin, separate the two sliding parts, and engage standard properly, hoping it will stay good.
Just a speculation: the bellows may not fold and collapse properly, bunching up. This could maybe force the standard upwards. My bellows have misfolds.
10-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Jay,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. It is interesting because I initially thought it was probably caused by dropping the camera or a hit. But seeing it is a rather common issue, my theory lost steam fast.
The way I got it to work was removing the pin and replacing with a slightly smaller diameter pin. This allowed some play up and down of the standard in the rail and it worked fine.
The blade spring in the back holds the base in place for proper closing.
Maybe thru the years it forced the base out of shape? Maybe the pin is slightly deformed? Not sure.
I would suggest to carefully remove the pin and see how everything works. If the difference is not much, maybe the pin can be sanded down.
If it helps I can make another brass pin and send it to you. Just let me know.
GO FOR IT!

*EDIT* One more thing, I cleaned, lightly sanded, polished and lubed the rails as well. Anything to help it move smoother.

Thanks,
Ismael
10-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hi Jay,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. It is interesting because I initially thought it was probably caused by dropping the camera or a hit. But seeing it is a rather common issue, my theory lost steam fast..
Ismael
Glad to see you are safe, and up and running!
Thanks for providing details.

I will take another very close look at my camera, and go ahead with the pin manipulation.