Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2021, 09:53 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak No 2 Bulls Eye camera of 1896! Yes, 1896 as in 19th Century

Hello,

A major milestone in my camera collection! I've finally crossed 2 century boundaries and have reached into the 19th Century!
I'm really excited!

George Eastman introduced the "Kodak" camera in 1888, helping to start a revolution and create a whole new industry: Amateur photography! Photography was no longer reserved to the top social elite. It was now becoming available to regular people.
But he was not the only one in this race. The Boston Camera Company was founded in 1884. They launched the Hawk-Eye Detective camera in 1888 (same year as the Kodak) with good success. By 1892 they introduced the Bulls-Eye camera: The first camera to have an exposure number indicator window. This little red window, which gave the name Bulls-Eye, allowed to safely see the back of the paper backing of roll film, which was marked for exposure counting. George Eastman liked the idea and quickly licensed the patent to make his own version, the "Bullet". But in 1895 George Eastman bought the Boston Camera Company altogether and continued producing the Bulls-Eye camera as a Kodak product line. Variations include model designations 1896, 1897, 1898, Model C and Model D, which was made until 1913.

My specimen:
I've been blessed with the opportunity to find this after a long hunt. It is in excellent condition. My brain exploded when I realized it is over 125 years old!

No.2 BULLS-EYE Model of 1896

Tripod socket!

To open de camera, you release a latch with this lever:

There are some pencil markings inside but I think I'll leave those alone. Otherwise pristine!

A wooden 101 spool!

The take up side:

You remove the advancing key and insert it thru the take up spool.

The shutter with time and instantaneous exposures plus 3 aperture settings. Brass was replaced with nickel in 1897.

Three aperture settings:
Smallest aperture

Middle aperture

Larger aperture

The view from the back.

This is getting serious. I'll carefully clean it but will not do anything crazy like further disassembly. Of course the intention is to eventually shoot at least a roll of 120 thru it. It is over 125 years old!!!

Thanks,
Ismael

12-25-2021, 10:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! I think it is interesting that the tripod socket looks to be unchanged over 125 years, is it the same size? Maybe the oldest “standard” in photography?
12-26-2021, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing!
12-26-2021, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is an incredible find, in near perfect condition. I bet there are museum pieces in worse condition. A tripod thread too, in common with the very latest camera tech!

12-26-2021, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As usual, fantastic reportage on the disassembly, Ismael.
I'm looking forward to the photos after the cleaning (though the camera already looks remarkably well preserved!).
12-26-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
GLM

What an amazing piece of history. Thanks for sharing. I will be keen to see how the pictures come out.
12-26-2021, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The stories that camera could tell if it could talk…

12-26-2021, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work. I like the wooden dowel film spool. I think we should go back to that, to ensure splinters in every frame ;-)
12-26-2021, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What an amazing find, Ismael! A beautiful camera in stunning condition... The internal screen printing on the wood looks like it was done yesterday
12-26-2021, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One word...

WOW!

Steve
01-02-2022, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #11

That is really a nice find. I'm looking forward to more on this camera!
01-11-2022, 10:57 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Remember Joe Isuzu? Here is my multi million dollar adapter set

While one of the best inventions since bread itself, these 3D printed adapters from eBay are not exactly plug and play. I spent a few hours tinkering and adjusting them (filing, sanding, scribing, etc.) to work flawlessly. Debated whether or not to paint them black but it is not really required.

Still more testing and "calibration" required before loading a live roll but getting there. And I haven't touched the camera yet.
Funny story: I did a google search for this camera to see if there was any other relevant information out there and the main hit was this thread

Thanks,
Ismael
01-15-2022, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a similar camera as a kid and knew it was old but really had fun using it.
01-21-2022, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

A major milestone in my camera collection! I've finally crossed 2 century boundaries and have reached into the 19th Century!
I'm really excited!

George Eastman introduced the "Kodak" camera in 1888, helping to start a revolution and create a whole new industry: Amateur photography! Photography was no longer reserved to the top social elite. It was now becoming available to regular people.
But he was not the only one in this race. The Boston Camera Company was founded in 1884. They launched the Hawk-Eye Detective camera in 1888 (same year as the Kodak) with good success. By 1892 they introduced the Bulls-Eye camera: The first camera to have an exposure number indicator window. This little red window, which gave the name Bulls-Eye, allowed to safely see the back of the paper backing of roll film, which was marked for exposure counting. George Eastman liked the idea and quickly licensed the patent to make his own version, the "Bullet". But in 1895 George Eastman bought the Boston Camera Company altogether and continued producing the Bulls-Eye camera as a Kodak product line. Variations include model designations 1896, 1897, 1898, Model C and Model D, which was made until 1913.

My specimen:
I've been blessed with the opportunity to find this after a long hunt. It is in excellent condition. My brain exploded when I realized it is over 125 years old!

No.2 BULLS-EYE Model of 1896

Tripod socket!

To open de camera, you release a latch with this lever:

There are some pencil markings inside but I think I'll leave those alone. Otherwise pristine!

A wooden 101 spool!

The take up side:

You remove the advancing key and insert it thru the take up spool.

The shutter with time and instantaneous exposures plus 3 aperture settings. Brass was replaced with nickel in 1897.

Three aperture settings:
Smallest aperture

Middle aperture

Larger aperture

The view from the back.

This is getting serious. I'll carefully clean it but will not do anything crazy like further disassembly. Of course the intention is to eventually shoot at least a roll of 120 thru it. It is over 125 years old!!!

Thanks,
Ismael
I wonder if it was used to take this picture in 1896.
06-20-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #15

Great photos. The Very First of Kodak's Bullet cameras had a reverse "D" shaped red window. The camera, except for the shutter, was an EXACT copy of the Boston Camera Manufacturing Co. Bulls-Eye of 1892 and was a direct infringement on the Boston patents. Eastman knew a great design when he saw one and was not bound by anything to copy it! He got sued by Boston and started paying royalties. Then he bought Boston!!!