Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2022, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Brownie 127: 1952-1955 diplomat from the British Delegation

Hello,

The Brownie 127 was launched in 1952 as a very simple and low cost camera using the popular 127 format. It was manufactured in England. It became very popular and millions of these were made. There were 3 distinctive models of the Brownie 127: the original made from 1952 until 1959, Model 2 from 1959 until 1963 and Model 3 made from 1965 until 1967.
The first model had 2 distinctive runs: 1952 to 1955 and 1956 to 1959. The only difference I can find is the cosmetic faceplate decoration.
According to the McKeown book there was another version of the same camera called the "Brownie Starlet" made in 1956 but it seems only the faceplace is different. Not to be confused with the US made "Brownie Starlet" which was a different design altogether, part of the American Star series (Starflex, Starmite, Starflash, etc.).
My understanding is that even today these are still relatively easy to find in Europe. Thousands of these were also imported to the US in 1953 and 1954.
These were some of the simplest to use cameras ever. Only controls are a shutter release and the knob to advance the film. The original stylish body molded with horizontal bars was made of bakelite plastic and had an optical viewfinder on top. According to the Coe book it had a 65mm lens, a 1/50s shutter speed and fixed aperture of f14. With the slow films of its day, it was mostly a sunny outdoors camera.

My specimen:

The second member of the British delegation is a Brownie 127. The faceplate identifies it as early model 1 made between 1952 and 1955.

It looks complete and fine. Just dull and slightly dirty with 70 years of experience! Some of the metal parts show some surface rust but nothing serious.

Time for a refresh!

This is what 70 years of poking into the viewfinder do to the metal retaining part. It was "delicately" flatten back to shape... with a hammer

The shutter is beautifully simple and still perfectly working. A dust off and a tiny drop of light oil in the pivots so it is ready for at least 70 more years!

Nothing like a clean piece of optics! and a clean shutter button...

The finished product:

The faceplate is not salvageable so it is the patina reminder of 70 years of history. To me, it adds character to it. I can always design and cut a custom decal to put on top if needed.
The body was carefully cleaned and polished. There are multiple small chips and cracks so care must be taken when working on these.

Lens and viewfinder are now as clean as when they left the factory 70 years ago...

The delicate red window is remarkably good with only tiny scratches

Ready for the world!
Another member of the 127 squadron and the second member of the British delegation.

If only 127 film was more accessible and affordable!

Hope you approve.

*EDIT* Question for my British friends: I fully understand (I think) the differences and relationships between UK, Great Britain, England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, etc. I see some Kodak camera models say "Made in England" like this one and others "Made in Great Britain" when all were made in the same London factory. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks,
Ismael

01-25-2022, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm astonished the shutter still works. Yet another great job!
01-27-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a unique looking camera. Glad that it is fully functional again.