Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2022, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
c1927 Kodak No. 2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B, UK version

Hello,

First things first: This is NOT a Brownie. Stop calling these Brownies in YouTube and websites! Just because they are the same size, use the same film and share most components, they are not Brownies.
Thank you for letting me vent...
These are like the Toyota/Lexus/Scion of box cameras.
The original Hawk-Eye camera name belonged to the Boston Camera Company. This company was acquired by Blair in 1890 and finally Blair was acquired by Kodak in 1899. Kodak kept making their cameras and eventually kept using the name for a long time. According to Coe's book; "The production of Hawk-Eye cameras continued, but after World War One the majority of cameras bearing this name were made for premium sales only, and are not always listed in regular catalogues"
The No. 2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye was launched in 1924. It was similar to the No. 2 Brownie but did not have aperture choices. Only a lever for Instantaneous or Time exposures. In 1926, the model B was introduced. The rear door/separate film holder loading system was replaced by 2 latches and the roll holder was fixed to the front plate with the shutter and finders, similar to the Brownie No. 2A. In 1927, Kodak Limited, the company's branch in London, started manufacturing this No. 2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B. The Model B was manufactured until 1933 in the US, but I haven't found a date for the UK version. I found a reputable web page that claims it was built until 1930 but I can't validate that statement yet. Still looking.
By the way, I searched all Kodak catalogs from 1924 until the early 1930's and the only Hawk-Eye camera in those was the even simpler, single viewfinder No.2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model C, The lowest price camera at $1.25. The No. 2 Brownie was $2.50. This Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model C was eventually used for the Kodak's 50th Anniversary promotion.

Here is a catalog sample from 1927:

My specimen:
The third member of my British delegation is this No2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B. It is complete but required the most work from the trio.

It was disassembled and all nails were catalogued to be eventually refurbished and reused in the original positions. (Yes, I reworked the nails. Sorry, I'm not normal )

The mirrors were in remarkable good shape. Just dirty. No need to replace them. The exposure slide lever was bent and was hard to move.

I'm worried I am begining to like very much this thing of fixing stuff with a hammer...

Everything was cleaned and reassembled

A drop of oil in the pivot and this is ready for at least another century

I love calibrating things by bending. Perfectly calibrated.

I know I'm biased but this is just beautiful

The longest hours were spent fighting rust. Here the top latch is in process.

And finally, may I present for your approval this No.2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B, UK version

"This camera takes No.2 Brownie Film"
But it is NOT a Brownie!!

I hope you approve.

*Bonus* The British delegation in my collection:

Thanks,
Ismael

02-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. The Brownie Hawkeye is shown on this page:
Brownie Hawkeye and Flash Model Camera Information | The Brownie Camera Page

Much much newer and very different materials.
02-03-2022, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Brilliant. I think that one is my grandfather's, but I'm not sure. I never knew any of my grandparents. It was hanging around my Mum's house as far back as I can remember.
02-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful job, Ismael. BTW, I have found out that the red frame window needs to be covered (I use black duct tape) to prevent film fogging on my Brownie 2A, model C using adapted 120 film. - Jack

02-03-2022, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Beautiful job, Ismael. BTW, I have found out that the red frame window needs to be covered (I use black duct tape) to prevent film fogging on my Brownie 2A, model C using adapted 120 film. - Jack
Fogging through the "red window" is often caused by the material fading over time. I've fitted an extra piece of #25 red gelatin filter material internally to help overcome this issue, whilst leaving the external of the camera looking relatively original

If anyone is interested, there was a little booklet published in 1980 entitled "A Catalogue of Hawk-Eye Cameras 1888-1979" published by John T. Addison of Ontario, ISBN 0-9690389-0-9
No pictures, just a tabulated list over eight approx. A5 pages detailing variations, original price (where appropriate), film/negative size, lens, shutter and dates of manufacture. Well over 100 models listed!

Last edited by kypfer; 02-03-2022 at 04:37 PM.
02-11-2022, 05:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all!

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If anyone is interested, there was a little booklet published in 1980 entitled "A Catalogue of Hawk-Eye Cameras 1888-1979" published by John T. Addison of Ontario, ISBN 0-9690389-0-9
No pictures, just a tabulated list over eight approx. A5 pages detailing variations, original price (where appropriate), film/negative size, lens, shutter and dates of manufacture. Well over 100 models listed!
Thanks for the info! I have searched online but I can't find any available copy. Not even online scans. Seems to be scarce. Still searching.
Do you have one? If so, can you check if there is manufacturing date info on this model? (1927-?)

Thanks,
Ismael
02-11-2022, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
And finally, may I present for your approval this No.2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B, UK version
Approved! Thanks for taking us along on this transformation from a rusty worn piece back to a camera.

02-11-2022, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Thank you all!
Thanks for the info! I have searched online but I can't find any available copy. Not even online scans. Seems to be scarce. Still searching.
Do you have one? If so, can you check if there is manufacturing date info on this model? (1927-?)
Thanks,
Ismael
the No. 2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B, UK version is quoted as being produced in 1929 as a "premium" product, that is to say it wasn't sold separately, but offered as a bonus with something else.
Not sure how one stands about scanning something as recently published as this … it's possible the author/publisher is still alive.

His address is given in the book as :-
John T. Addison
18 Cheyenne Drive,
Scarborough,
Ontario
M1J 2Y6

… might just be polite to drop him a line and wait a while to see if you get a reply