Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2022, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exakta Cameras

How about an Exakta thread...
The VX1000 with 50mm f/2 Zeiss Pancolar, a VX500 with 50mm f/2.8 Zeiss Tessar, the Exakta V with 58mm f/1.9 Meyer Primoplan and an Exakta VX with a Schneider 50mm f/1.9 Xenon.

02-05-2022, 09:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Those are nice! But that V and VX are just gorgeous with that font on the nameplate.
I don't have any Exakta yet. Need to learn more about them.

Thanks,
Ismael
02-05-2022, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"... yet" oh oh...!
02-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes , Exakta Varex was my first " real" camera , after little Agfa Karat.
I can not remember the exact model ( the lens was all silver , Biotar ? ) but it was superbly made and the presentation and performance was fantastic.

It is still with my Family in Europe , but not in working order , apparently not fixable ,

very sad indeed.....

02-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My first SLR was the Exakta V with that Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan and a WL finder which my uncle gave me in the mid-1970s. He purchased it new in 1951 for $350. The body in the picture isn't my original Exakta V, but I still do have it. It needs new curtains which I'll get around to doing at some point. I remember in my freshman year in college (77) my roommate saw my Exakta and wanted to trade his Nikon F2 for it .. then he changed his mind. Right now I can buy 3 Nikon F2 cameras for what that Meyer Gorlitz lens it worth. I'm glad he backed out...

---------- Post added 02-05-22 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Those are nice! But that V and VX are just gorgeous with that font on the nameplate.
I don't have any Exakta yet. Need to learn more about them.

Thanks,
Ismael
I think the V (Varex) and the VX (Varex VX) are the best built Exakta bodies. I've purchased 6 this year with good working curtains. The later VXIIa and VXIIb always seem to have bad cracked curtains. Exaktas aren't too difficult to rebuilt. Most of the time just a clean and lube gets the back working. If then need new curtains you have to make your own, which I've done.
02-05-2022, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a VX that is restorable as well as a VX IIa and VX1000 in full working order.

Below is the VXIIa with waist level finder (not proper for model) and Pancolar 50/2.0 (also not proper for model)...

Pentax K-3, Tamron 90/2.8 (72B)

Followed by the VX1000 with eye level finder and Flektogon 35/2.8 (yes, the 18cm mfd version)...

Steve
02-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a VX that is restorable as well as a VX IIa and VX1000 in full working order.

Below is the VXIIa with waist level finder (not proper for model) and Pancolar 50/2.0 (also not proper for model)...

Followed by the VX1000 with eye level finder and Flektogon 35/2.8 (yes, the 18cm mfd version)...

Steve
I've got a few 35 flektogons, preset, semi-auto and full auto, but I don't have the Zebra, which I plan to get. They're getting more and more expensive and a decent one is $150 and up plus shipping. I better get one before they're $500. Exakta lenses are getting expensive these days.

I have a few of the VXIIa embossed version. My best on recently developed some light leaks on curtain #2. I will definitely get it fixed because the camera is near mint condition. While I plan to replace curtains myself, is there anybody out there doing Exakta curtain replacement? Cambridge maybe?

Last edited by tonyzoc; 02-06-2022 at 08:59 AM.
02-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful cameras.
02-06-2022, 07:10 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
While I plan to replace curtains myself, is there anybody out there doing Exakta curtain replacement?
I dunno. If I run across anything, I will let you know.

Steve
02-16-2022, 05:16 AM   #10

The Exakta cameras are interesting but what really impressed me is their broad selection of lenses.
02-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elecraft Quote
The Exakta cameras are interesting but what really impressed me is their broad selection of lenses.
Indeed, there were several lens manufacturers in Germany "back in the day", Carl Zeiss, Enna, Meyer Optik, Schacht, Steinheil, ISCO and probably a couple more I've missed, who were all competing, to a degree, for the same market, so they all seemed to come up with something "slightly different" to attract attention!
02-17-2022, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Indeed, there were several lens manufacturers in Germany "back in the day", Carl Zeiss, Enna, Meyer Optik, Schacht, Steinheil, ISCO and probably a couple more I've missed, who were all competing, to a degree, for the same market, so they all seemed to come up with something "slightly different" to attract attention!
Also Kilfitt, Angenieux, Rodenstock, E. Ludwig, Japanese glass such as Nikon, Tamron Adapt-a-matics and Adaptall, Vivitar and Soligor T4 and TX mounts. Plus Topcon which had a modernized Exakta mount with internal stop down pins and aperture index pin. There's a bunch of lesser brands like Voss and Vemar and others. The list was endless.

---------- Post added 02-17-22 at 04:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
BTW, my favorite unique design feature is with the Angenieux automatics, which has an aperture selector dial, rather than a ring. It's something that I don't think was ever copied.